Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387361 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1470 on: April 30, 2017, 04:19:40 am »

Also Ebbor, what am I assuming about anti-magic? I'm not saying "use anti-magic" but rather "try to create this effect" which is basically the entire point of making new spells in the game.

The problem is that you're trying to counter a specific type of magic, while you don't know if that type of magic is too blame. That is the issue. If you guess wrong, everything is pointless.

Anyway, we can disprove your theory easily.

GM : Do Moskurgian arrows follow normal trajectories, or do they appear to steer mid-air.

If it's the latter, the mist may work, because it means the magic happens while the arrows are underway. If it's the former, then it means the magic happens at the launch point, and thus the mist won't work.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:21:41 am by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 30, 2017, 04:24:10 am »

Evicted: If I were to write something along the lines of "Counter lucky strike" in the description for Disrupted mist instead of the anti-magic stuff, would that get a penalty on its rolls?

If you can describe how you counter it in a reasonable fashion, I can work with it.  That being said, revisions that just say "Counter XYZ" will not work, period.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:28 am »

What about a chaotic winds spell.  Presumably our own magic is more powerful close to us, if there was a field of hot and cold air creating crazy winds it could knock the arrows and bolts around a little to knock them off course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:45 am »

What about a chaotic winds spell.  Presumably our own magic is more powerful close to us, if there was a field of hot and cold air creating crazy winds it could knock the arrows and bolts around a little to knock them off course.

NO NEW MAGIC

We do not know Wind magic. That's Moskurg.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 30, 2017, 04:38:27 am »

NO NEW MAGIC

We do not know Wind magic. That's Moskurg.

Right, we know armor and shields and crystals.  Normally a giant metal roof wouldnt be something you could take onto the battlefield but with magic who knows.

We could make immobile tanks almost...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 30, 2017, 04:56:46 am »

Anyway, my proposals.

Tuneable Antimagic Charm

This antimagic is quite simple, a charm that is 10 times as large as any other charm. It would be completely unaffordable, if it were not made from summoned crystal. Even so, it's still relatively expensive, but not a national effort. To avoid the heat from cancelling spells to cause it to simply melt through the ground, it is designed to only cancel a single spell at a time.

Since each type of magical spell has it's own frequency, by tuning the crystal to that frequency, it ceases to function across the entire battlefield.

Mk 2 Magic Cannon

This magic cannon has seen a few very interesting upgrades. Firstly, the barrel has been inscribed with a cold spell taken from our frost tower. This means that it never heats up, but always maintain it's cool. This improves both firerate and reliability The second improvement is the steam recycler. This small spell is triggered by the projectile passing through the muzzle. It puts the muzzle cold spell into overdrive, instantly flashing the steam back to water. This sucks the steam back into the cannon, ensuring no new water needs to be added.

Designs
2 - Disrupting Mist: Chiefwaffles, Azzuro
1 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer
0 - Rifled Barrels:
1 - Tuneable Antimagic Charm : 10ebbor10
0 - Mk2 Steam cannon

I feel that the charm is much more likely to work, because we already know all magic relies on certain magical frequences. Just increase the range and pick one. Much more likely to work than trying to :

- Improve Mist range
- Improve Mist durability
- Trying to cancel their spells but not ours
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:04:16 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 30, 2017, 05:03:59 am »

Lucky Charms - Small totems that can be carried to substantially increase the luckiness of whoever wears them. Good for hitting the enemy, making the enemy's missiles miss, and channeling the heart of the cards. Praise be to the dice gods.

Their projectiles are doing a major amount of damage to us. Making ourselves more lucky is the most effective and cost effective way of dealing with that. They cannot be destroyed such as with physical obstacles and will actually work, unlike the Disrupting Mist. Disrupting Mist will only work if their projectiles are constantly having magic channeled in them, and even if that is how it works, by the time they enter the mist the projectiles have already been rendered accurate anyway, so it's pointless.

Lucky Charms is also good offensively, unlike Disrupting Mist which is only good defensively. Our cannons' poor accuracy will not matter as much with them, and they would be less likely to explode too. There may even be some utility outside of combat...

2 - Disrupting Mist: Chiefwaffles, Azzuro
0 - Rifled Barrels:
0 - Mk2 Steam cannon
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:06:12 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 30, 2017, 05:06:10 am »

We have no luck related magic. Trying to do this is, is :

A : Opening a new field of magic
B : Trying to beat, in this new field of magic, an enemy Spell
C : Trying, in this new field of magic, to also replicate the effect of that enemy spell.

It's too ambitious.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 30, 2017, 05:07:08 am »

Anti-Antimagic arrow: This spell, based off the anti-magic arrow, is designed to violently dissipate antimagic fields. It does so along the same principle as the explosions caused by anti-magic arrows (magic absorption and release). The major difference is that the crystal in this arrow disrupts the spell work holding the antimagic field in place as it passes through into the field. This changes a section of the spell itself and creates a feedback loop, as the spell turns from being properly cast into improperly cast, quickly disrupting the spell. The result on the caster? Never good, mostly explosive.

Ever do a math problem and forget to carry the 1 or miss a minus sign somewhere and come up with a completely wrong answer because of that minor change? That's how this works. It uses the principles of mathemagics to royally bone the intricate spell work leading to a "wrong answer" result from their spell. That causes the whole spell to come toppling down.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:34 am »

Ebbor:
So the Tuneable Antimagic Charm is basically a huge anti-magic charm with a large radius that cancels out one spell
Shouldn't the anti-magic effect it creates dispel the summoned crystal? I also think it should either be extreme theatre-wide range with national effort or mid-range with expensive.

Though I'm worried that it introduces too many vital things at once. While I'm positive we won't get penalties for it being too new, in order for it to work the Tuneable Charm has to have a large radius and the ability to selectively cancel out spells (and a good expense level). If it doesn't have any of these things, it won't work. Small radius, we have the "guided missile with tracking cut out 1 second from impact" problem. No selective cancelling, then it makes the things it's supposed to protect useless. If it has too high of an expense level (Reminder that our cannons are just Expensive) then it can't be deployed to protect enough things. Unless it gets a good enough range.
If it works, though, it'd be great.

It's a good idea, but crystal canopy seems like it could work a bit more. Easier to design, almost certainly no higher than expensive, etc.
Yet the summoned crystal dispelling and whether it could block ballista shots still remain flaws.

Possible alternate idea: (More of a brainstorm type thing - not submitting this unless someone really thinks its a good idea)
Tower of Frost - Tuneable Anti-magic Field
Kind of a revision, but too serious to properly work as one. The Tower of Frost, in addition to its weather-controlling capabilities, also extends a tuneable anti-magic field over the battlefield, cancelling out one spell as outlined in Tuneable Antimagic Charm. The idea in this design is that it adds another level of familiarity to the new design. The Tower of Frost is already theatre-encompassing so ideally the range would be less of an issue in terms of rolls.

Going to remove my vote for Disrupting Mist for now. I'll probably choose later or tomorrow. I'm not completely giving up disrupting mist, though.
1 - Disrupting Mist: Azzuro
0 - Rifled Barrels:
0 - Mk2 Steam cannon
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 30, 2017, 05:20:05 am »

We have no luck related magic. Trying to do this is, is :

A : Opening a new field of magic
B : Trying to beat, in this new field of magic, an enemy Spell
C : Trying, in this new field of magic, to also replicate the effect of that enemy spell.

It's too ambitious.
A : Yes, this is an issue, but this is worth is. Certainly more worth it than that worthless plant magic or developing crystal magic that makes our mineral advantage pointless. It can be used for many different things by many different people, buffing everything we do at relatively low risk of failure.
B : The enemy spell has no competition. It has no way to defend against a spell trying to defeat it. Furthermore, it has a lot more applications than merely beating an enemy spell.
C : It is not the same spell. It's less powerful but it has much broader application. The low power is all that's needed to defeat the enemy spell. Nudging a projectile only a little bit to the side is a lot easier to do than ensuring a projectile hits with full accuracy with so many variables involved. Their spell probably only compensates for mundane challenges, not magical ones.

I would like to reiterate how worthless the plant design was and that it was a complete waste of a design phase. I have no idea what possessed those who voted for it to design it, even going against the desires of our commanders yet again.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 30, 2017, 05:24:39 am »

I would like to reiterate how worthless the plant design was and that it was a complete waste of a design phase. I have no idea what possessed those who voted for it to design it, even going against the desires of our commanders yet again.

Glory to Arstotzka.

It was a fine idea, but ended up not being nearly as powerful as those who vote for it intended. Happens, no need to be salty over it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 30, 2017, 05:27:22 am »

..what?
The plant design was essential to not lose in the Jungle. Even now we're fighting at a disadvantage, but if it weren't for the spell it'd be much worse. And what Roboson said - designs aren't just a result of their initial idea, but also the rolls (and GM Decision) and revisions behind them. I'm certain we're one revision away from being able to use the spell for shielding and in skirmishes and to use it to actually start restoring the jungle. But we have more important issues than that. The jungle disappearing problem has been reduced to the point where we can focus on other things.

And Andres, it's still a spell in a completely new area that we have never touched before. One of the primary reasons we're still losing ground is our tendency to make cool things then abandon them before they're useful. We have things more important than new spells and it's possible to get the desired effect without going into a completely new field.
When the design results are rolled with d6's, that means a -1, which we will get due to the complete new-ness of the design, is a significant penalty. We want to minimize the -1's.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 30, 2017, 05:36:12 am »

The plant design was by no means essential, and has not stopped the Jungle degradation problem. The GM has explicitedly said it didn't do that, and if you read the last update, you'll see that it didn't.

What has happened is that the Jungle cover was never an apocalyptic -this will loose us the terrain- problem. It was a minor problem that was overstated, and failing to adress that has shown that it was just that, a minor problem.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 30, 2017, 05:36:46 am »

Not everything is a 100% or 0% solution.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 301