Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386967 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1455 on: April 30, 2017, 03:46:57 am »

"Magical guidance makes a squad shoot or strike true far more often than usual.  Expensive."
Magical guidance implies it's a continuous effect?

Evicted: Do we know definitively if Lucky Strike is a continuous effect on arrows for the duration of their flight or is it like a spell cast on the people firing the arrows?
I know about the anti-magic charms thing, but they have pretty small areas, right? If you cut the guidance out on a missile a second before impact not much is going to change.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:42 am »

As far as you know non-meta-wise, Moskurg is just bizarrely lucky enough to make you suspect magic.  You don't know how they do it or what the nature of the magic is.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:41 am »

Query, did our forestry efforts in the mountain do anything? There was an explicit order to plant things in the open areas of the mountains and the narrow mountain passes and there was no mention of such in the battle report. I would have thought that after a year or two of undisturbed rapid growth magic there would be something, even if it were to obscure the enemy advance or to discover that the mountain troops were even lazier than first thought and had completely ignored the order. Just would have liked to have heard something about it.

Anyways, I am out of time without reading anything aside from mountains and new rules, good luck, good luck!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:58 am »

Query, did our forestry efforts in the mountain do anything?

You manage some minor growth in the mountains, but the rocky soil is poor for plant growth and provides no meaningful advantage.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:17 am »

Ok, after a reread the main problem with our artillery seems to be both accuracy and range. I think this is serious enough that we need to spend a design on it. Thus:

Design: Rifled Barrels
By further elongating the length of the barrel and inscribing matching 'spirals' on the inside and the rock shell, our mathemagicians have promised improvements in both the accuracy of the shots fired and the range. If necessary, they will sacrifice the horse-drawn mobility of the weapon, although an essential requirement that it be mountable on ships remains.

Designs
2 - Disrupting Mist: Chiefwaffles, Azzuro
0 - Rifled Barrels:

I would really have liked to get the Fog-O-War running, but I think we'd best wait until we regain the mountains.

Edit: I don't think we're losing in the mountains as you put it ebbor, we just got caught off guard. If we get in a good ground combat design this turn we should be able to push them out next turn.

Fakeedit: Quit posting guys, let me get my post in already!

Doubleedit: I was under the impression that Lucky Strike was an enchantment on the ammunition, providing it terminal guidance to its target. Such that even if the terminal guidance cut out only 2 metres away, it will still continue on to hit its target or negligibly close to it as it's so close. Thus by increasing the antimagic boundaries, we should be able to counter it, causing the arrow to miss the eyeslits or armour gaps.

Tripleedit: If that's true, I really can't think of a way to counter Lucky Strike. And I don't recall we had such an order, RAM.

Quadrupleedit:I give up editing.

United Forenia Forever!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:05 am »

Design: Rifled Barrels
By further elongating the length of the barrel and inscribing matching 'spirals' on the inside and the rock shell, our mathemagicians have promised improvements in both the accuracy of the shots fired and the range. If necessary, they will sacrifice the horse-drawn mobility of the weapon, although an essential requirement that it be mountable on ships remains.

This is a revision, not a design.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 30, 2017, 03:57:30 am »

Azzuro, yeah. The idea with Disrupting Mist is that it sacrifices "anti-magic"-ness for a drastically increased radius. The anti-magic charms would likely take more revisions to get the same range as we could get in Disrupting Mist, can't be controlled like Moskurg anti-magic, and their anti-magic effect disables our cannons and our fireballs. And we generally want to protect the cannons and mages casting fireballs.
Also, what Ebbor said.

I'm just hoping Disrupting Mist will be enough. Worst-case scenario, it serves as a counter for any enchanted-type things Moskurg may come up with.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 30, 2017, 04:00:31 am »

You disrupting mist may not even work, I wouldn't do it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:27 am »

I already stated how it doesn't. It should only hurt our forces with bad rolls.
Why do you disagree with my assessment of it not hurting our own forces?

And I'm not super attached to Disrupting Mist, either. If someone comes up with a better way to counteract Lucky Strike I'm game.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:48 am »

Crystal Canopy - A large, immobile shield of crystal that can cover a group of mages and those operating the cannons.  It blocks only from above with a slanted design.  A portion of it is summoned separately to allow a "firing port" which can be dismissed and re-summoned quickly to allow the cannon to fire out.

It is designed to be actively maintained by a squad of mages who will be under it.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 30, 2017, 04:07:32 am »

Ok, this is going to be a long and slanted by my love of crystals but, I think it has quite a lot of value.

So lets talk about their anti-magic before they countered our lance we where doing quite well and if left alone it could mess with our magic cannon. In my mind there are three possible ways the staff works. A: just like our anti-magic crystals but, it also affect our crystal weapons B: It dispels any magical constructs or weaving in the area but, doesn't affect the amount of magic in the area around it (basically the inverse of how our anti-magic charms work) C: Some kind of forced mundanity field that just outright stops all forms of magic in the area outright. So with this info I have guessed/gleamed lets try to counter it.

Anchored Crystal Weapons
Normal crystal constructs need magic to work. This is provided by either magic stored within the crystal by a mage or magic stored within a gemstone. Anchored Crystal Weapons are far beyond that and for all real proposes are 'mundane' and not only don't need magic to exist and, are more or less permanent. In order to create this type of weapon a mage needs a gemstone able to be as a magical catalyst and a massive amount of magic. Once the weapon is formed it's a near prefect example of an crystal weapon unbreakable, impossibly sharp and incredibly light. The main weakness is the gemstone used as the catalyst which is located in the hilt while the rest of weapon is unbreakable the gemstone can be damaged or destroyed and in doing so damaging or destroying the weapon. The key part of this is the weapon is that it's otherwise mundane their is no long term spell to disrupt, nor magic to cut off and it should be unaffected by any mundanity field.

So this will hopefully do a few things A: let us use our magic weapons again B: give us a way to counter their anti-magic(by not using 'magic' *inception noises*) and C: If all else fails we still get some nice fancy weapons for the day when we do counter their anti-magic. Oh and for the revision we just improve our cannons.

Anchored Crystal Weapons

Anyway I'm off to bed so you folks can tell me how stupid of an idea this is in the morning.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 30, 2017, 04:12:44 am »

Anchored crystal weapons are definitely something we need to do at some point, but right now we have a defense problem. Lucky strike is the primary culprit, though it wouldn't be the end of the world if we could settle for eliminating large portions of their ballistae. (Cannon accuracy + range should help a lot with this if we do that in revisions)

@VoidSlayer and the Crystal Canopy: Definitely a possible choice. It is out of range of their anti-magic, but I don't like the prospect of it becoming useless again if a Moskurg anti-magic mage sneaks up on a cannon emplacement. I wonder though, if we were to do this, could we use a revision to make it Anchored?
If so, then we could maybe do that during this revision phase, but I think if we do Range + Accuracy for cannons we'll gain the advantage at sea and at land. Doing an anchored revision the revision phase after the coming one could work, since we can assume Moskurg won't upgrade their anti-magic for ""no reason"" before next combat phase.

Designs
2 - Disrupting Mist: Chiefwaffles, Azzuro
1 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer
0 - Rifled Barrels:

Wow, no posts since I started writing. That may be a first.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 30, 2017, 04:14:34 am »

I really, really, dislike anchored mist.

You are assuming that the antimagic works in a certain way , based on pure speculation, and hoping that it will work. If you want to counter lucky strike, write counter lucky strike. Otherwise we will end up with something useless.

Evicted Saint : Have we captured some of the Moskurgian Anti-magic Staves?

Our men are still torn to shreds as they charge through the jungle, and the progress is made slow by the thick mud generated by the non-stop rain and lack of vegetation, but by the time they reach Moskurg lines the battle goes in our favor.

Our frost tower is still not cold enough, if we still have rain.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:16:57 am by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 30, 2017, 04:17:31 am »

The crystal canopy is meant to be actively maintained for now and used to block at the specific angles that the Mosburg weapons seem to come from.

It is true though that we have no way to counter the enemy anti magic right now.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 30, 2017, 04:18:43 am »

"Counter lucky strike" won't work. But I wonder.
Evicted: If I were to write something along the lines of "Counter lucky strike" in the description for Disrupted mist instead of the anti-magic stuff, would that get a penalty on its rolls?

Also Ebbor, what am I assuming about anti-magic? I'm not saying "use anti-magic" but rather "try to create this effect" which is basically the entire point of making new spells in the game.
We did capture staves, by the way. But in the process they were broken and nothing of value was gleamed from it.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 301