Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387321 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #795 on: April 25, 2017, 01:58:06 am »

We are not trying to steal their technology, just trying to figure out what precisely it is doing to us. It is our own wizard even, how is that espionage? It is just perfectly straight-forward observation.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:09 am »

Whoops, misread that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2017, 02:19:41 am »

Revisions, coloured to avoid confusion because we are not doing revisions yet.
Revision: Mathemagical college
I don't know what it would do, like, maybe a 20% chance at a +1 to metamagic proposals or something. I just want to add a mathemagical college to our academy.

Revision: Children's card games
 Revise our champions so that they can win Duels even at a disadvantage. Either a chance to win regardless or tip the scales of how badly we are beaten before Myark loses a little in our favour.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:42 am »

I would advise against any design or revision involving magical equipment to be used in direct combat, until we figure out how to protect them from dispelling.

Enemy bodkin arrows may be a problem, but one we can fix by an armor revision. Add proper angling to the armor, some padding below and even the few shots they get should be fixed. Even better would be keeping them at distance, so metal caltrops?

Practical steam engine This is the next development in steam machinery. Compared to previous models, the water is provided by a channeled fog spell added to the primary boiler, which should conjure enough mist to provide steam pressure without causing salt buildup. The output problem is solved by a simple transmission turning high speed/low torque into something more useable. This transmission would be linked to a paddle wheel similar to those in use in our watermills.
PS: further weight reduction would be appreciated but not essential

edit:for the sake of not voting for myself.

1 Minor Splicing: RAM, Stabby, Tyrant.
Canning: 0
Medical Science: 0
Spider Silk Armor(a): 0
Spider Silk Armor(b): 0
Control Beasts: 0
Greatest Fireball: 0
Horse Breeding: 0
Blazing Sight:
Summon Sea Monsters:
Anchor Net System:
Gun Powder Bombs:
Exclusive Anti-Magic Amulets: 0
spell of antimagic
steam lumbermill Andrea

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:54:42 am by andrea »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:35 am »

1 Minor Splicing: RAM, Stabby, Tyrant.
Blazing Sight:
Summon Sea Monsters:
Anchor Net System:
Gun Powder Bombs:
spell of antimagic
steam lumbermill Andrea
Practical Steam Engine : 10ebbor10

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2017, 06:27:58 am »

Think of it people, think of it when voting: We can become your average medieval fantasy world, or we can go full steampunk.

A world powered by huge engines belching fog, steam ships, steam mathemagic analog computers, steam carts, steam cannons and, dare I say, steam rifles!
You know you want it, follow the dream!
(disclaimer: the full extent of the dream may not be available in the game without good rolls and many actions)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2017, 06:47:21 am »

Minor Splicing: 3, RAM, Stabby, Tyrant
Practical Steam Engine : 2, 10ebbor10, Azzuro
steam lumbermill: 1, Andrea
Blazing Sight: 0
Summon Sea Monsters: 0
Anchor Net System: 0
Gun Powder Bombs: 0
spell of antimagic: 0

Please don't start on another chain of research before we've got steam engines running, people, otherwise the previous turn was just wasted. We've got a unique opportunity here with the Revision Credit, let's not waste it.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but needle arrows are pretty much useless at armour-piercing. Like, I'm 100% sure that whatever the Moskurgs were using before, it's definitely better. For the same mass of metal, a needle's minimal possible cross-sectional area will guarantee it deforms/snaps on impact with metal if not striking perfectly (and I mean perfectly) head-on, which only grows more difficult as the length of the needle increases, thus wasting the kinetic energy of the arrow. A reasonably-tapered spike with polygonal cross-section would be more efficient overall at piercing metal across a range of impact angles, and in real medieval history this was accomplished in the famous bodkin-point arrowhead and all the variations thereof.

Admittedly IRL needlelike arrows did see limited use, but for penetrating exposed chain mail, not plate mail. Thinner arrowheads would be better at both pushing aside and going through the chain links than broader ones, which had to expend energy to break links that the point passed through.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2017, 07:14:38 am »

I think that they did, in fact, research bodkin arrows. Needlelike is just the description we are given from our soldiers.

And I have to stress what Azzurro said: lets not wander off every time we start a new field. a turn spent opening new fields is not a turn wasted, it is an opportunity. It is only wasted if we then never touch it again.
Once more: look at their weather control. They spent several turns before making it work well, but then it became their most powerful weapon.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:18 am »

Minor Splicing: 2, RAM, Tyrant
Practical Steam Engine : 2, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby
Blazing Sight: 0
Summon Sea Monsters: 0
Anchor Net System: 0
Gun Powder Bombs: 0
spell of antimagic: 0

I'll switch simply because that a decent argument.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 25, 2017, 09:00:36 am »

Wouldn't Practical Steam Engine be better as a revision?

Also, if we do this, it'll mark two design phases of nothing of immediate use. Let's hope Moskurg doesn't make anything useful or a revision will be enough to make a difference...
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 25, 2017, 09:03:06 am »

There are significant changes from previous version. The fog/water spell, the transmission, the application as water propeller through paddlewheel. It would take many revisions to try to do so much, feels more appropriate to use a design.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 25, 2017, 09:08:58 am »

We do already have a fog spell, so that's not anything new. The rest though, okay.

It does mean we're going to need a revision to get it to a decent size unless we roll well, though, and it gives more time for Moskurg to figure out something new or how to dispel anchored crystals... anchored... oh.

That's an interesting idea. Putting it here for reference, but might not be the best choice for right now.

Anchor Towers: We can establish small mobile(by means of wheels) towers. These towers have a large glass or quartz crystal in the middle(what, you think we'd do the top when it's so vulnerable?) that projects anchoring over a large distance, acting as an anchor for all crystal within its area. On another note, they also act as a lightning rod.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 25, 2017, 09:23:59 am »

They can already dispel all our crystals.

Also, while we already have a fog spell, we need to incorporate it in the design of the steam engine.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 25, 2017, 11:05:18 am »

Change my vote to better steam engine please.

Also the Anchor I envisioned not channeled by Crystal but advanced rune/glyph coding that in turn imprints on stuff so no dispelling takes place. But a tower like a star craft pylon would be cool. For a select field of it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:52 am »

Done.

Minor Splicing: 1, RAM
Practical Steam Engine : 4, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby, Tyrant