Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386696 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #705 on: April 20, 2017, 11:47:49 pm »

Revision: better broadswords.

We have a metal item bonus, which will automatically make the item cheaper as soon as we revise it. Thus, we can use the actual revision to improve it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 21, 2017, 12:08:57 am »

Revision: Bigger Fireballs

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:25 am »

I really like the hail tower... And assassin catgirls... I will claim that I saved my vote this turn to get two next time...

Dispelling our lances is mighty powerful nonsense, must bring ruination to evil of moskurg! Well, what is allowing them to do that? Is it somehow naturally killing the crystals or is it directed magic? The crystals seem really sturdy. And therwe was no evidenc of natural phenomena... So it must be magic, right? We have antimagic, right?

Okay, we shelve the normal crystals, they just became too vulnerable, very sad but all this does is make crystals more expensive. But in exchange for being expensive they last longer, we already had that but didn't invest much in it...

Crystal conversion:
 We reorganise all our crystal summoning to our existing gem-sustained crystals and revise the gems to maintain both the crystal-construct and a small anti-magic field that is channeled over the crystal's presence, thus rendering the crystal-constructs immune to additional magical effects being introduced nto their presence. Given that the existing gem-sustained crystal-construct magic can already be sustained permenantly if it is checked on by a wizard regularly, and that just involves strengthening the existing spell and not introducing any more, it shouldn't pose a problem for the weapons themselves. Essentially, this would render our crystal-constructs completely immune to all magical effects other than those present at the time of their being summoned. Well, that or something so massive that it could overwhelm the capacity of the antimagic.

It may seem small to just resist the current effect, and at the cost of switching exclusively to the more expensive gem-based crystals, but if we could then go on to produce a crystal shield of some sort, maybe an upside-down cart formed of crystal, with wheels and arrow-slits and a man-sized fireball wand housed in some sort of rotating dome on top of it... If the thing were impervious to magical attacks, and formed from steel-strong crystals five-centimetres thick, well... Granted, getting the things to move would be difficult, maybe we would need to develop pulse-jets first, but that should be easy...

And then again there is the issue of caltrops. Perhaps we could revise them to form around gem fragments? Or somehow extend the spell from a remote location?

Antimagic arrows:
 Incorporate antimagic charms into an alternate form that only lasts a few minutes before crumbling to dust but is more powerful/numerous. These can be fired amongst enemy wizards immediately-prior to contact with the enemy to briefly disrupt their spellcasting.

Advanced Tower of Forever Frost: Fighting Form
Use temporary magic-crystal structures to create guide-structures for ice-crystals to form. Use this to construct a grand ice-structure at the base of the Forever Frost Tower. This structure will basically be four wheels on fat stilts that will be drawn under the tower as it moves forward, pushing it up on top of them in the process. The ice-axles will be attached to massive ice-weights that will force the wheels to rotate, pushing the tower forward into the middle of the battle0field. Where does the ice come from? The tower will turn its cold all the way up and turn its focus all the way in, resulting in extreme cold immediately outside the tower, building an impenetrable wall of thick ice all around it and along any near surfaces, such as thin crystal formations... We just need a team of stout shires to push it forards initially to get it onto its own wheels. The effect is to have the tower charge into enemy lines and then emit a wave of frost that renders a section of the battlefield of our choosing uninhabitable. We can then move in at great expense in the form of sacrificial fire-wasps and wasted firballs, along with our natural hardiness, to secure the region before the tower can revert to normal operation or choose a new target for englaciation. Obviously the interior of the tower would be outside of its own effect, and heavily insulated, with fireplaces and hot cocoa and little jars of firewasps...

Okay, that is a bit ambitious, for now it would just be "Frost tower makes only its immediate area lethally cold if it comes under direct attack." which would be a defensive bonus, which doesn't seem like what we need right now.

Advanced Forever Frost: Hail Mode
It concentrates its magic to extend its range, effectively shooting a beam into clouds to turn them from rainclouds into hailclouds.

Again, possibly steering a bit close to new magic for a revision.

Longboats:
 Not sea-worthy alone, but they can be towed alongside a longship and deployed for battle. With no need for supplies and further reduced weight by thinning the wood and cladding it in metal to maintain the surdiness as much as possible. These smaller versions of the longships are capable enough to operate in the calmer seas of most battles and bear the agility to harass enemy forces ass they withdraw. They wouldn't match well against a broadside with most of their armament pushed to the front to make space for oars, but if the enemy turns to engage them, then the longships can catch up and show them why broadsides are better with longbows and fireballs. This may also reduce losses as broken ships can be evacuated.

Code: [Select]
0 = Cheaper Broadswords:
1 = Betty Bradsword: RAM
0 = Bigger Fireballs:
0 = Crystal Conversion:
0 = Antimagic Arrows:
0 = Advanced Tower of Forever Frost: Fighting Form:
0 = Advanced Forever Frost: Hail Mode:
0 = Longboats:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 21, 2017, 04:14:47 am »

= Cheaper Broadswords:
2 = Betty Bradsword: RAM, 10ebbor10
0 = Bigger Fireballs:
0 = Crystal Conversion:
0 = Antimagic Arrows:
0 = Longboats

On a side note, I wonder what'll happen if we deploy our superior frost tower at max coollness in the plains.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 21, 2017, 04:16:27 am »

freeze their horse breeding plains?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 21, 2017, 04:18:25 am »

Yup, I'm just wondering how deadly it would be.

Afaik, using a frost tower at full in the plains would be the same as using the old version in the Taiga.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 21, 2017, 04:44:43 am »

I think the GM might veto weapons of mass destruction, although I can't be sure. It would be nice if we managed to negate their horse bonus, however.

edit: how much do you think the jungle will last with the constant abuse both sides are doing? constant rain, wind, fireballs, now freezing, maybe hail in the future.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 21, 2017, 06:23:25 am »

I think it's invincible.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 21, 2017, 06:33:35 am »

Then the solution is to use the invincible trees for our purposes

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 21, 2017, 10:45:43 am »

0= Cheaper Broadswords:
3 = Betty Bradsword: RAM, 10ebbor10, Stabby
0 = Bigger Fireballs:
0 = Crystal Conversion:
0 = Antimagic Arrows:
0 = Longboats
This seems like a good idea, but we might want to start revising our ship design someday.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:47:28 am by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 21, 2017, 10:55:10 am »

Revision: Better Broadswords [4]

Our better understanding of metal working has allowed us to design a broadsword that stands up to abuse with greater success.  A channel down the blade removes unneeded material, making it lighter.  The edges are made of hardened steel and are more resistant to nicks.  And perhaps most importantly, the pommel is removable to allow our soldiers to throw them at fleeing enemies - thus "ending them rightly."  The new design is cheap enough that we can outfit our entire army with them, but some soldiers still prefer the good old "axe and shield" for jungle combat as the broadsword requires more room to be swung.  Cheap.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:07 pm »

And perhaps most importantly, the pommel is removable to allow our soldiers to throw them at fleeing enemies - thus "ending them rightly."
Finally! Something that solves our problem of not being able to kill routing enemies!

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 22, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »

I wish to submit an order to have a squad outfitted with crystal axes and antimagic, to determine if the antimagic can protect the crystals.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 22, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »

I wish to submit an order to have a squad outfitted with crystal axes and antimagic, to determine if the antimagic can protect the crystals.

I'd vote against this. If the squad is defeated, the enemy could capture our anti-magic charms and learn how to use them.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2017, 05:59:34 pm »

Our charms are out there regardless. The order does give it dice rolls, so I guess we could get a horribly wrong result, but there is no reason that they shouldn't also carry broadswords. I mean, we may well have the means to resume crystal technology right in front of us, ending what was probably a massive investment from them, or we could find out that whatever they are doing is not a direct magical attack against the crystals, I think, the antimagic does seems to be an area effect afterall given that crystals cannot be summoned into the space... If we aren't wiling to do this much then we have to give up on ever doing anything with crystals again, and pretty much need to abandon the whole of conjuration, given that we know nothing about this new attack other than "makes stuff go away". Now, granted, there were no reports about webbing or wasps or fog vanishing, but they may have been holding off on that to get us wasting actions, this could be a universal banishment magic or something...

I am actually going to vote for my own order here. Orders seems like something that you can vote for as many as you want, so I doubt that the normal penalties of self-voting apply as strongly and I really want to get some research done so I am straight up calling in my Evil side for this one...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 301