Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387248 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »

And we'll gain the sea(hopefully) which will let us reinforce the ground easily.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »

I mean, turning the sea in a land battle is not to our favor.
Selective freezing to destroy their fleets would work better

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:33 pm »

We only reason we are doing good with mountains, is mountains. The ones we face seem to just out match us in everything. For sea I think either upgrade boarmt or make spells to sink their boats.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »

I very much doubt that horses would be effective on ice. Well, not without upgrades. And fireballs should be extremely effective if they can break ice...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2017, 05:27:17 pm »

The issue is we can't catch their boats to sink them, with the fact they're sailing ships combined with the fact they control the wind our ships simply can't catch up. What we need to do is get any sort of anti-magic field, our troops are outright superior and if we can cause them to lose any sort magically assistance the Moskurg armies are going to fall apart quickly.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »

Anti magic should then be keen here.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 05, 2017, 06:08:43 pm »

Would someone mind tallying up votes for what you want to design this turn, please?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2017, 06:21:54 pm »

I think the only thing that got any non designer votes was the anti magic charm, although I can't make an accurate tally now.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2017, 06:52:10 pm »

+1 bestial splicing Because porpoiseman may not be the hero we want, but is the hero that we need!
There's this, but nothing else I think.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2017, 08:16:47 pm »

Alright, then - unless someone objects, I'll roll the design for bestial splicing for this phase.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2017, 08:29:52 pm »

I think we should just try to solve the problem directly.

Anti-Magic Charm : A small charm that prevents the use of any magic but itself near a person. This charm is not simple to create, target expense is very expensive. Therefore there should be just enough to protect our generals and a few guards.
we can revise it later to improve, I suppose. Our recent experience in binding stuff to gems may help here....

+1 anti magic charm

Although I am beginning to think they have too big an advantage by now... but we can try!
I didn't want crystal axes, I wanted steel spears.

Going into new areas of magic is a good idea though.

+1 anti magic charm I guess
evictedSaint, Moskerg has gained in the western sea but that's still listed as Disputed, is there a territory counter hidden? Also what bonuses will they get if they manage to control the western sea?

Need to know this so we can decide if the Sea or Jungle is more important. Unless the Sea has some super-bonus, I would say we should still devote our efforts to the Jungle, so +1 for the Anti-Magic Charm.

I would say Moskurg has moved from slightly ahead to an almost insurmountable advantage in the past two turns. Once again we have to react to a new spell of theirs instead of a new one of our own, and their spells (naval weather support & sleep/distraction) are much more effective than ours (Crystal Caltrops and Poleaxes). This is because they're focusing on magic whereas we're focusing on equipment, admittedly better equipment, but still in this game apparently having a better armed army counts for absolutely nothing against magic.

I don't think their new spell is mindreading, or we would have seen actual loss of territory, as we did during the first few turns when we weren't able to counter it. It's probably a sleep spell, but limited in only being cast-able on enemies who aren't yet alarmed/alerted to your presence or something. So we have to counter it now before they revise it and start putting entire armies under.

Expanded fluff:
Design:Anti-Magic Charm In the course of our researches into crystal permanency, one of the apprentices raised the possibility that the crystals could be 'charged' with magical power occasionally to maintain them. This prodigy has now proposed that other spells, including hostile ones, could be the source of that maintaining magical power. After his work was summarily 'appropriated' by Academy staff and the authorship changed, the outstanding innovators of the AAAA have come up with the Anti-Magic Charm, a palm-sized crystal that gathers ambient magic in the vicinity to power its own conjuration, thus 'damping' all other spells in a small area around the wearer. While the intricate nature of the spells required to craft such a crystal are forecasted to make it Expensive, it should be self-sustaining if magic is constantly used around the wearer.

I'm voting for this because it helps us in all theatres.  In line with that, I think we should use both our Revision and Expense credit on improving Forever Frost, to shift the weather control to our advantage, which again helps us in all theatres if we can get it down from A National Effort. Speaking of which, is our tower in the Jungle still up, or did it get destroyed and not rebuilt?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2017, 08:30:44 pm »

Anti-magical charm it is, then.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2017, 09:04:41 pm »

Design: Anti-Magical Charms [2-1, 4-2, 2-1]
Well...this could have gone better.

Based on your recent success with anchoring crystals to our world with gemstones, your mages have surmised that there must be some link between the crystalline structure of real-world gems and the chaotic nature of magic.  As a matter of fact, all of the equations you've come up with (some of which are getting incredibly complex) seem to suggest that's the case - thus emboldening you to attempt to use gemstones to try and capture magic from the surrounding space.

After they finished mopping up what was left of the apprentices, your mages have gone back to the drawing board.

First of all, it seems like only significantly pure crystalline structures (such as diamonds) are even capable of absorbing magical interference.  That alone makes the attempt Very Expensive, and the King isn't very happy when you ask to pry the jewels from his crown.  Second of all, the spell to encourage gems to soak in the magical essence from the air around it spawns an entirely new realm of algebra your mages refer to as "calculus" - it seems like an entirely useless concept outside of this specific case, but it does explain the drop-off in range the magical absorption goes through.  And third of all, absorbing magic has a nasty tendency of making the gems...well, explode.  They vibrate suddenly, violently, and without warning shatter into hundreds of fast-moving diamond particles that shred whoever happens to be wearing it.  We...aren't exactly sure why.

On the bright side, it's a great way to make diamond powder! Very Expensive

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »

I have an idea for the modification:

Crystal-fueled Antimagic Charm: Instead of relying on a gem, a summoned crystal acts as fuel for the effect, slowly deteriorating instead of disappearing all-at-once, consistently fueling the spell. Perhaps spells cast into the Area of Effect of the charm can vibrate out of existence like the crystals would when they expire.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2017, 10:12:07 pm »

Yeah, that thing isn't going to help us right now. We need something larger-scale.
~~~
Improve Minor Fireball, making it easier to cast. We will spam it everywhere. Our main attack spell, ho!

Apply the Expense Credit to our Longships. We need to win the seas in order to reinforce our mainlands!
~~~
Anybody up for creating Ironclads next turn?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 301