Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387266 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2017, 09:23:07 am »

Drastic and no risk don't go well together. Pick one.

I agree on cloudkill, no toxic cloud against people who specialize in wind.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 05, 2017, 10:40:20 am »

I proposed mass producing fireball wands.  If every wizard and apprentice had a strong spell-effect like that, it wouldn't matter how much they read our general's minds.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:50 am »

Well our issues our horses right? Since the from the shear number of the damn things theyre probably packed pretty close together their camps. so how about we use bugs? The issue with our wasps is they get blown away in the wind, so lets use ants or ground wasps to swarm their horsemeat night and year at their legs in battles. And by using gemstones we could make it so our appertinces could cheaply summon masses of them.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2017, 11:08:43 am »

evictedSaint, Moskerg has gained in the western sea but that's still listed as Disputed, is there a territory counter hidden? Also what bonuses will they get if they manage to control the western sea?

Need to know this so we can decide if the Sea or Jungle is more important. Unless the Sea has some super-bonus, I would say we should still devote our efforts to the Jungle, so +1 for the Anti-Magic Charm.

I would say Moskurg has moved from slightly ahead to an almost insurmountable advantage in the past two turns. Once again we have to react to a new spell of theirs instead of a new one of our own, and their spells (naval weather support & sleep/distraction) are much more effective than ours (Crystal Caltrops and Poleaxes). This is because they're focusing on magic whereas we're focusing on equipment, admittedly better equipment, but still in this game apparently having a better armed army counts for absolutely nothing against magic.

I don't think their new spell is mindreading, or we would have seen actual loss of territory, as we did during the first few turns when we weren't able to counter it. It's probably a sleep spell, but limited in only being cast-able on enemies who aren't yet alarmed/alerted to your presence or something. So we have to counter it now before they revise it and start putting entire armies under.

Expanded fluff:
Design:Anti-Magic Charm In the course of our researches into crystal permanency, one of the apprentices raised the possibility that the crystals could be 'charged' with magical power occasionally to maintain them. This prodigy has now proposed that other spells, including hostile ones, could be the source of that maintaining magical power. After his work was summarily 'appropriated' by Academy staff and the authorship changed, the outstanding innovators of the AAAA have come up with the Anti-Magic Charm, a palm-sized crystal that gathers ambient magic in the vicinity to power its own conjuration, thus 'damping' all other spells in a small area around the wearer. While the intricate nature of the spells required to craft such a crystal are forecasted to make it Expensive, it should be self-sustaining if magic is constantly used around the wearer.

I'm voting for this because it helps us in all theatres.  In line with that, I think we should use both our Revision and Expense credit on improving Forever Frost, to shift the weather control to our advantage, which again helps us in all theatres if we can get it down from A National Effort. Speaking of which, is our tower in the Jungle still up, or did it get destroyed and not rebuilt?

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2017, 11:18:37 am »

Controlling the seas adjacent to a territory provides a very powerful bonus to combat in that area.  If neither side has absolute control of the seas, then neither side gets the bonus.  Currently Moskurg has 3/4 of the coast and 3/4 of the jungle.

Your tower was destroyed.  It would have been rebuilt once your Hero was back up and running, but you sent him to the sea so he used his Fireball  wand instead.

Also, I told Moskurg this after they asked and I felt you should also be told:

Moskurg wont advance on the past the desert into the tangia unless they make the decision to advance there.  If they do, then battles will occur in the in the tangia (where you have the advantage).

Similarly, Arstotzka wont push south past the mountains unless you make the call to advance.

Conceeding the plains allows you to dedicate those assault troops elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:00:48 pm by evictedSaint »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2017, 11:37:48 am »

Oh. In that case I think keeping Myark at sea will be necessary if we don't want to lose the jungle, and anyway if we're going for Forever and Ever Frost then the national effort can still be the Fireball wand.

Just to be clear: conceding the mountains won't affect our defensive strength there if we do so? If that's the case that we should do so immediately, and dedicate the freed-up troops to the Jungle.

United Forenia Forever!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2017, 11:45:04 am »

+1 to freeing up the troops and the antimagic field.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:15 am »

Do you mean conceeding the plains? Conceeding the plains means you wont assault them again unless otherwise specified, and those troops will be freed to attack elsewhere.  You still have troops defending the tangia, and if Moskurg advances thenthe battle occurs there anyways.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:26 am »

yes, we should concede plains and focus on jungle.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 05, 2017, 11:58:12 am »

Oh whoops, misread. Yeah, concede attacking the plains and send those troops to the jungle instead.

United Forenia Forever!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »

Why don't we focus on Earth magic? Sure does not help at sea but to control the ground and effects sure does affect al the land we need. One thing at a time though. Had in mind also Laser heat vision death glare eye/ glaze spells for magic sniping. Even faster to do than fire ball so no wind counter.

Edit: Thinking of using raw magma for combat with Earth aside another trick.

Otherwise either like Summon  more animals or Counter magic of some form as mind reading is a bitch.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:52:26 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »

Actually, I have a better idea.

Concede the Eastern Sea and the Plains, redirect all those forces to the Mountains and attack the plains.

By my calculations, that will allow us to outnumber 2 to 1. By deploying a frost tower, we take away the enemy advantage of the heat. With a production credit on horses, we'd have more than enough horses.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:08:34 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2017, 02:33:47 pm »

I think it is a good idea,  we need to force them to defend

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:42 pm »

Hold on.

Sea to "Land": With some modifications, the Forever Frost tower can be deployed in the sea... and turn the sea into solid ground, or rather, ice. They'll never expect this. We'll turn the sea into a land battle.
And I'll -1 that. For fairness.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2017, 03:16:03 pm »

Except, we lose badly on ground.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 301