Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386341 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2017, 06:53:14 am »

How about Crystal Long Axe: A permanent crystal version of our War Axe that has a longer spear-like handle, with a small spike at the top.

I hope to God whoever design autocorrect for my phone burns in hell like the Moskurgs.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 03, 2017, 07:34:11 am »

How about Crystal Long Axe: A permanent crystal version of our War Axe that has a longer spear-like handle, with a small spike at the top.

I hope to God whoever design autocorrect for my phone burns in hell like the Moskurgs.
+1
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:34 am »

Could have seen that coming, to be honest it's surprising that they didn't employ weather magic at sea earlier. evictedSaint, Moskerg has gained in the western sea but that's still listed as Disputed, is there a territory counter hidden? Also what bonuses will they get if they manage to control the western sea?

Since the Jungle seems to be stabilised for now, and Myark will return there next turn, I think we should push them back at sea first. Improving on ebbor's design:

Crystal Galley: A ship designed for combat, with little space for landing troops. Following the dishonourable Muskerg deployment of weatherwizards on the waves, the finest minds of Arstotzka have turned their crystal conjuration skills to the naval theatre. The Crystal Galley has a layer of crystal covering its entire outer hull, strengthening it in ramming combat and incidentally making it faster, as it is no longer subject to fouling. A battering ram, made of the now-plentiful steel from the Arstotzkan mountains is affixed upon its bow, and the captains are taught to use ramming tactics against enemy vessels. Our wizards will first focus every effort into making the conjured crystal truly permanent, thus not needing a wizard onboard to maintain the conjuration, before worrying about the thickness of the crystal armour.

(Just to be clear, I'm proposing crystal armor only, not an entire ship conjured out of crystal. Interior hull and rooms will still be wood, or whatever we were previously making them out of.)

Oh, I'm also not voting for my own design, so +1 to Crystal Long Axe.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:38:52 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2017, 08:19:47 am »

Sorry, didn't have time to write. But I see that more or less you already wrote the proposals I had in mind!

The boat is certainly more useful, since it turns our ships into ironclads, minus the weight (we even have fireballs to serve as guns). However, I am a bit worried about trying to get both this size and permanency in one go, so I'll vote for the

Crystal long axe which is also quite useful and allows us to focus on the permanency with higher chance of success. ( I can be convinced to vote for the boat however, RAM, if you want to try)
Anyway, even if we lose the sea now they will not get any bonus for one turn, and I believe that the Crystalclad longboat should be strong enough to take it back before then.

Depending on how thick we can make it, we can even freeze the sea and see their weak wood hulls crushed, while our resist. *evil laugh*.  Well, maybe not.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2017, 08:28:59 am »

I ould like to try the boat, but that is crystal permanency AND crystal vehicle. We already have crystal pointy-stick and I would like to keep it to one innovation at a time while we are behind.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:04 am »

If we want a crystal boat, we should at least know if crystals float. If they don't, we'd have to revise them, probably.

Growing Crystals: Crystals that can drain minerals off of materials such as soil wood, and miscellaneous living materials. They can be used to create self-sustaining spikes of crystal, and might be able to become a parasite-like growth on enemy battlements and, if we get lucky, crops and other resources. If they get troublesome for us, we can work on a spell to destroy them/prevent them from growing.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 03, 2017, 08:34:12 am »

steel doesn't float either. nor do several shipbuilding woods. people have made concrete boats. As long as it is water tight, buoyancy can be arranged. Besides, crystal is described as being quite light, so we will have an easier time than historical armored boats.

And please lets refrain from uncontrollable weapons of mass destruction. We want to conquer the island, not turn it into the Command and conquer (tiberium series) hellscape.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:27 am »

Like I said, we make a counterspell to it, probably as soon as we make the spell to make it.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2017, 08:46:26 am »

Sooner or later, they'll get sonic blasts and all this crystal will be useless.

For the moment, it seems fine, but I do have a non-crystal idea.

Infernal Forge: Using conjured flames, we can generate much higher temperatures than standard forging methods in a much shorter period of time. This allows for faster smelting and metalworking, and perhaps allows access to otherwise unobtainable metals.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:09 am »

If we want a crystal boat, we should at least know if crystals float. If they don't, we'd have to revise them, probably.

Floating is not an issue. Crystal is lighter than steel, and steel boats exist. Well, not in this setting at this point, but the point remains.

Anyway, myark is hanging out in the Jungle, so I propose to move our wizard to the Plains.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:40 am »

actually, what if instead of trying to counter them we start the attack on Moskurg from the mountains, forcing them to counter us? although I imagine their cavalry will be a challenge even if we cool the desert down.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2017, 10:01:45 am »

If I were Mosskerg, I would be designing something to help in the Jungle for the upcoming turn, hoping to gain the entire jungle and hold it for its resources before making a push on the capital, which they WILL win if they control 2 areas to our 1. Thus I won't recommend moving Myark away to attack the Plains, instead holding him to counter whatever they're going to unveil there.

I don't think size is an issue for the crystal boat. We rolled a 6 on further research into making crystal conjuration cheaper, to the point that our apprentices can scatter caltrops to their heart's content, to say nothing of higher-level spellcasters. If the crystal armour was designed as an Expensive or Very Expensive equipment (like our current boats), our learned wizards could do it with a good effort.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:55 pm »

Vote tally:

Crystal long age, permanent(or 24h+: andrea, Azzurro, RAM
Crystal fire wasps: -
Crystalclad galley: -
Infernal forge: -
Combat longboat: -

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »

Design: Crystal Long Axes [3+1, 4+1, 3]
Alright, we're starting to get the hang of this crystal stuff now! Using the mathematical formulas we developed while templating the Caltrops, our mages have been able to define the razor sharp edge of a crystal to a precision beyond anything our conventional manufacturers could hope to replicate.  When crafted into a weapon, the result is a blade as fine as a razor blade, harder than steel, lighter than a feather. 

It will hack through unarmored flesh with uncanny ease, but its light weight means it has difficulty against harder components - like the metal edge of a shield, or the scales of an officers armor.  Additionally, we have some difficulty making the handle of the axe a smooth cylinder.  The mathematical formula developed can be used for polygon-type crystal formations easily, but we haven't quite managed to include smooth, rounded shapes into it yet.  The best we can do is an uncomfortable square-shaped handle wrapped in leather - over time, the edges wear through and the leather wrapping has to be replaced.

Still, it's a frighteningly effective weapon against Moskurg troops, who are largely unarmored. Expensive.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2017, 01:00:40 pm »

>Develop AutoCAD software to make multifaceted cylinders a breeze

I kid, I kid. The most important question: these things are permanent, right? Torn between spending our revision to cheapen them or improve Forever Frost.

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 301