Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386390 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #330 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »

Crystal fire wasps: Duplicate the fire wasp swarm spell but replace the conjured flesh bodies with crystal bodies. Also make them larger(especially the wings because crystal may be lighter than steel, but still...) but less numerous and with a higher activity rate for faster wings and more force. Like, fist-sized. Also imbue them with instincts to land when the wind is too strong for their steel-like wings and to take off again when there is a face nearby to sting or the ground is bad for some reason.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 01, 2017, 09:20:16 pm »

Well, that isn't ideal. We only have one Cheap spell right now (the mist), so we need to focus on getting another.

Revision:Crystal Spell Template By developing a set template for the crystals to be conjured and attempting to quantize as many aspects of the spell (distance, area, number of crystals) as possible, revise the spell to be castable by our apprentices.

United Forenia Forever!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 01, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

Well, that isn't ideal. We only have one Cheap spell right now (the mist), so we need to focus on getting another.

Revision:Crystal Spell Template By developing a set template for the crystals to be conjured and attempting to quantize as many aspects of the spell (distance, area, number of crystals) as possible, revise the spell to be castable by our apprentices.
+1 to this since the cloud kill spell would be better off as a design.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 01, 2017, 10:19:40 pm »

There's no question if bias, but people are slways going to complain when their Master plsn doesn't eork.

That and with the battle reports the other guys seem to hit home runs at every turn. I just chalk it up to luck.

I think I will design for here.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2017, 07:54:37 am »

I guess we will have to do that template... this turn seems a bit of a failure, having to use both actions for a very simple spell. But at least future crystal stuff should be easier?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:08:50 am by andrea »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 02, 2017, 10:58:44 am »

I guess we will have to do that template... this turn seems a bit of a failure, having to use both actions for a very simple spell. But at least future crystal stuff should be easier?
Think about his now could theoretically make a storm that's nothing more then crystal shards.

and also why don't we just create a spell to make a hole? like seriously a 10 foot deep trench that's 6 feet across would destroy their cavalry. chirst we could even pile the dirt on our side to protect our men form archers and make it even hard for them to cross.
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 02, 2017, 11:03:39 am »

Yeah, it's quite sad. But if you look at it another way, we're killing two birds with one stone: countering Moskberg's horse rush and getting another Cheap spell for our greater numbers of Apprentices to have greater flexibility (conceal or defend). Speaking of which, is the AAAA providing any bonuses for us? It isn't in the lists of stuff we have.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 02, 2017, 11:05:39 am »

AAAA is allowng our apprentices to use magic in the melee phase, while before they could only do that in the skirmish phase.

regarding the hole spell, I think that if we still need to counter their cavalry after this turn, it would be best if we sticked to what we have and perfect it, rather than try to invent yet another system.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 02, 2017, 11:43:24 am »

Yeah, I think we should wait for the next turn before deciding what to do. Although I don't agree with your opposition to making another system.

From a quick retrospective, we're spending this whole turn reacting to Moskerg's introduction of widespread cavalry, which is a win for them because they're probably going to design something different in the upcoming turn, forcing us to react to that too ad infinitum. Note that Mossberg initially didn't have any weather magic at all (they started with Divination spellbook) and yet they went from making farts of wind to gales of wind to entire storms to calling down lightning on our plate-mail troops. In the process, they've pretty much abandoned further progress in Divination and mind-reading entirely. We need to be more like them and be unafraid to branch out, which should be easier for us as Conjuration is inherently about making new things.

While I don't think the hole spell is optimal (most people can jump over six feet with a running start, to say nothing of a horse), we should try exploring Conjuration further. Some ideas are:
-permanent conjurations, like the magic lances but improved. If successful, will be game-changing as we can have skilled mages producing them en masse in the capital, instead of as needed on the frontlines.
-bigger living things/animated constructs, such as the crystal spiders proposed earlier. Basically shifting our living conjurations from a harassment role to direct combat.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 02, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »

I am not saying to not do anything new at all.

All I am syaing is, if next turn we still want something to counter horses, we should not get another new spell which will not work well enough the first turn, but we should instead improve the things we already developed with that specific purpose in mind ( caltrops, wall of fire.
SHould we instead try to take another road, all fine, design away. Personally, I would like to invest more heavily in crystals, especially since we had to do this template revision.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 02, 2017, 01:09:53 pm »

Azzuro, don't forget about inverting our Conjuration into Banishment.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2017, 01:35:13 pm »

Well don't forget that being able to create gaping holes in things has other uses such as tearing apart fortification, but yeah let's avoid it for now.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2017, 05:00:09 pm »

Revision: Crystal Magic Template [6!]
It takes some doing, but you manage to convince your more advanced wizards to set aside some time to make a template for the more inexperienced members of their discipline.  Thanks to the AAAA, they have the resources needed to make the spell simple enough for even the most dumbfound apprentice to use.  By creating a standard method of conjuring the magical crystals, it becomes rather trivial to call upon a certain template and bring the shards into being.

As a side effect of this method-based casting, we've been able to understand exactly what about a spell results in the random, jagged spikes.  The result is a rather complicated mathematical formula, but it can be applied to almost all basic shapes and designs to create another simple template for casting.  Our understanding of crystal magic has increased, giving us a bonus to developing that line of magic further.

Combat Phase to begin shortly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:24:51 pm by evictedSaint »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:22 pm »

how much wizard time are we spending to make the scrolls? I have the feeling we may lose more magic power than we get, and we didn't further our crystal knowledge at all.

depending on the mechanics, this may be a net damage... although I could imagine a revision to our academy to negate the wizard time penalty ( professors, students and everyone else still needs things to do right? lets make study scroll scribing, possibly by making themscribe useful scrolls.

I am curious to see if it works well at all. We will probably need a revision for every spell we want to give to our apprentices, but it has some potential, especially since now our apprentices are better and can cast in the melee phase.
Still, I really wanted better crystal knowledge :(

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2017, 05:38:30 pm »

You completed your goal of letting your apprentices cast crystal caltrops AND gained a new area of knowledge.

Please have a little faith that I'm not screwing you guys over, dude. :(
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 301