Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387104 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #825 on: April 25, 2017, 12:53:31 pm »

Cheaper Frost Tower: (2) 10ebbor10, Azzuro
Improved Steam Engine - Turbines: (5) 10ebbor10, Andres, Azzuro, Andrea, Roboson
Bigger STREAMLINED Fireball: (3) Andres, Andrea, Roboson
Angled Plate Armour: (0)
Gambeson:(1) : 10ebbor10

Just added in my votes, not sure if this is still correct.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 25, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »

You know that grass idea isn't bad. we could use magic to breed a type of grass that either poisionious to eat or sharp and point to kill and injure their horses in the plains and jungle.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 25, 2017, 01:09:39 pm »

Well, trigonometry was just the best way I could think of, as I thought all along that we did have actual real-life trigonometry. But we can do it via painstaking rounds and rounds of deflection tests, I suppose.

Cheaper Frost Tower: (1) 10ebbor10
Improved Steam Engine - Turbines: (5) 10ebbor10, Andres, Azzuro, Andrea, Roboson
Gambeson: (2) 10ebbor10, Azzuro

Changing my vote to Gambeson as that seems more likely to succeed since we already have the Hide Armour.

Also, ebbor, considering everyone has stuck to the convention of having only two votes for the two revisions it's a bit impolite for you to have three. We could move to ranked preference voting, but eh.

United Forenia Forever!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »

Gambeson: (2) 10ebbor10, Azzuro

Eh fine.

Doesn't really matter though, would be identical to me doing some last minute vote switching.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:17 pm »

considering that the steam turbine seems to be winning handily, I wonder if it would be possible to roll for that earlier, so we can base our second revision on the results of that. Although, it seems most other proposals are largely independent.

By the way, if all goes well with the turbine, next turn we can design a new ship most likely. Or revise a ship, design a cannon?

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 25, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »

Hmm, I'm a little wary of spending both revisions on steam power considering that we've spend the design, and the design and revision of the previous turn, on it already. I'll support rolling for the turbine earlier, though, as none of our other revisions are super urgent.

And I think we should design the ship, then design a cannon if needed.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 25, 2017, 01:37:33 pm »

oh, you misunderstand. I was thinking more about deciding if any of our other proposals had better synergy.

Although, the real reason is that I like seeing rolls and results.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:44 pm »

I will go ahead and roll your first revision for steam turbines, unless someone objects in the next thirty minutes.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »

I pray the dice gods for a 6.

anything above a 3 would be mighty fine, even.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:21 pm »

We should really be using the design phase for the steam engine and the revision phase for minor reworks of existing stuff right now, but okay.

Design: Falsecasting:  We get a large number of people we dress like wizards and teach them to mimic how mages act when casting spells.  We then present far more targets for the enemy staves then they have available, for a much cheaper price.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »

We did use the design on the steam engine, and we are using one of our 2 revisions to rework other existing things.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »

We did use the design on the steam engine, and we are using one of our 2 revisions to rework other existing things.

But we are reworking steam engines... I think it will take more to fix them.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 25, 2017, 02:12:08 pm »

But we are reworking steam engines... I think it will take more to fix them.

We're in a revision phase right now. The design phase for this year has come and gone.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »

Revision 1: Steam Turbines [4]

After some work at the chalkboard, we elect to discard the secondary container all together.  The steam valves were difficult to tune when the device is spinning, and having to rotate the entire secondary container all together is a waste of energy.  Taking inspiration from our mills, we fashion a small steel windmill to sit inside the pipe instead.  This proves to be a rather tricky thing to do, as the windmill gets really hot while sitting in the steam and can jam quite easily.  Furthermore, getting the right ratio between pipe diameter and steam output takes some testing to figure out, but after a while we find one that works.  More testing (and likely mathematics) would be required to find the most efficient variation, but this shift in design results in a slight increase in efficiency.  It still doesn't beat a full contingent of rowers, but the prototype putters around the port quite nicely on calm days.

A rope belt is still used to drive the paddle, and it still slips when the contraption gets too wet.  Salt residue tends to creep up the pipe and clog the turbine and pipes, requiring frequent maintainance to prevent explosions.  Output is still regulated by the tension in the belt.  The design can now move a ship at a very modest pace on calm waters, but won't be winning any races any time soon.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 25, 2017, 02:36:44 pm »

Aren't we one advancement short of completely capturing the jungle? It really feels like it'd be more prudent to focus there first then shift our attention to the seas.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 301