Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386139 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4260 on: August 16, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »

I am still not clear on what magegass actually is. I am getting "print an image to a crystal screen" from it, but then all it does is highlight a chosen target. So, like, useful for improving vision if you can already see what you are looking at? I get the impression that it is supposed to be displaying the location of the enemy where they are going to be, rather than just highlighting where they currently are, much as my lucky lens design would, but I am not actually getting that from the description. Also, revisions are about changing things more than creating new things, and I do not think that we have enough lucky strike to change it into that, nor do we have an established ability to do heads-up displays that I am aware of. I could understand it as a technology revision... So, it is just making a chosen target glow a bit because that might be easy enough for a revision and serve as a basis for a proper targeting display?

Ugh I hate to say this, but we should probably just fix the transmission on the protector, it keeps getting mentioned...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:07 pm »

Circuit stamping has been altered to specifically mention Honest Strike.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: August 16, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »

Well, the general idea is simple -

We have TrueStrike. A component of it "divines" the location of the enemy.
We have Mageglass. The Crystal Glass used to make Magegems. We know it lights up based on magic presence. (Though this is the first time in giving it that name.)

So we just combine these two things. It probably won't be easy but it's possible for a revision.

So I'd leave it up to Evicted whether or not it highlights just where enemies are or where they will be. Since it all depends on how the divination component works by itself.

Though I expect it to just highlight where enemies are since it is just a revision and I don't want to spend extra effort on making it do that.

But really the MTS is to serve as a basis for a targeting system. I'm willing to radically change it as long as we get something that makes targeting less completely reliant on human vision. Since space weapons need targeting to work at all and flares aren't 100% effective.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: August 16, 2017, 04:31:06 pm »

Huh, we can branch out to precognition if you make it highlight where enemies will be.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: August 16, 2017, 04:58:16 pm »

Revision: Crystal Ammunition Fabricator

We take fabricators from the Crystalworks Mk. 2 and program the appropriate caliber munitions into them before attaching them to our weapons and their circuitry.
After firing a bullet, the circuitry will activate the fabricator, conjuring another crystal bullet/shell directly into the firing chamber.

If possible, slightly increase density of crystal to make up for the hopefully-negligible loss in weight.

It should be easy to fit onto all our weapons given the same CAF, just with a different programmed caliber, works for every gun. This shouldn't completely replace the loading mechanism to allow for special ammunition (blastshells, Equalizer, etc.) to be loaded when needed.

TL;DR: Take Crystalworks fabricators, put on guns to notably increase RoF.

This will improve the effectiveness of the Lightning turret and make the R1 much more useful.

Though I still think we should do some targeting revision instead, this is my second choice.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: August 16, 2017, 06:01:39 pm »

If it is just for vision we could go for L.A.M.P. which codifies our visual technology and, while ambitious, remains within familiar and cheap flare magic instead of trying to integrate new and expensive divination magic. Then we could put a whole design into getting the divination integrated for predictive sights. But then we would realise that homing munitions are better anyway and more suited to magic.

The Suck
This is a tweak of the antimagic charm. Currently, antimagic charms pull magic into themselves, this would switch them to pulling themselves into magic. Given that, as our bombs demonstrated, our antimagic charms do not function in antimagic, they should have no attraction to our hardened circuits, leaving the only thing that they would be drawn to as foreign devilry. Thus, once released, The Suck would be pulled towards Kegger flying machines. Upon impact, they would likely detonate as they would be operating on the old explosive system. Otherwise, The Suck would explode upon attempts at removal, or when struck by weapons-fire, or upon hitting the ground after sucking their engines dry.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: August 16, 2017, 06:29:59 pm »

*Arstotzkan mage throws fireball*

*The Suck locates and hits them*

I actually do like the idea, but there's room for improvement.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: August 17, 2017, 10:24:16 am »

Can I get a vote box, please.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: August 17, 2017, 02:53:33 pm »

Revision 2:
1 - Rocketshells: FallacyofUrist
0 - AS-SC-L(Special Cannon-Lumos):
0 - L.A.M.P.:
0 - C.A.B.L.E.:
2 - honest strike: RAM, helmacon
1 - Circuit Stamping: VoidSlayer
1 - Expanded Firing Angles: VoidSlayer
1 - Mageglass Targeting Suite: Chiefwaffles

It looks like it's going to be one of those days.

You could always roll for it with proportionate chance(roll 1d6, 1-2 = honest strike, 3 = Circuit Stamping, 4 = Expanded Firing Angles, 5 = Mageglass Targeting Suite, 6 = Rocketshells), basically, the more votes something has, the more chance it has at passing.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: August 17, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »

Revision 2:
1 - Rocketshells: FallacyofUrist
0 - AS-SC-L(Special Cannon-Lumos):
0 - L.A.M.P.:
0 - C.A.B.L.E.:
3 - honest strike: RAM, helmacon, Draignean
1 - Circuit Stamping: VoidSlayer
1 - Expanded Firing Angles: VoidSlayer
1 - Mageglass Targeting Suite: Chiefwaffles

There. Now can I get an Amen?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: August 17, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »

Revision: HonestStrike [2]

It takes some doing, but we manage to hack out bits of Moskurgs spell weavings and replace it with our own.  Despite being an intelligable tangle of magical threads, we note with some irritation that ironing them out to make sense actually increases the size of the spell.  Still, we manage to replace the need for a golden scroll with two copper ones, which appreciably reduces the cost.  We can afford to equip our elite troops with the HonestStrike modules now.  Very Expensive.

Where do we deploy Myark?

What do we spend the Expense Credit on?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:32 am »

Well ain't that neat.

Wait, why are we using copper when we could be using nickel which is a much better substitute as previously proven? Oh well. Next revision: One nickel scroll instead of two copper ones.
~~~
Myark:
1 - Tundra: FallacyofUrist

Expense Credit:
1 - Do not spend: FallacyofUrist
Did we get a new expense credit or something?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: August 18, 2017, 01:11:44 pm »

We just have never used the old one.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 18, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »

Myark:
2 - Tundra: FallacyofUrist, Chiefwaffles

Expense Credit:
2 - Do not spend: FallacyofUrist, Chiefwaffles

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 19, 2017, 02:26:22 am »

Myark:
3 - Tundra: FallacyofUrist, Chiefwaffles, Andrea

Expense Credit:
3 - Do not spend: FallacyofUrist, Chiefwaffles, Andrea

Lets try to survive
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 301