Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386703 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2017, 07:28:07 pm »

Hm. Conjured diamonds would disappear just like crystal, right?

What we should do instead is artificially produce gemstones like modern manufacturers do, replacing the needed technology with magic.
Yep, just conjure everything EXCEPT a diamond. The diamond will be drawn into the absence!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2017, 07:53:02 pm »

They are pretty clearly using divination to win battles in a way we do not understand and can not fight back against.  The answer of course, is overwhelming firepower.

Fireball wand - Copy the existing fireball wand, allowing more wizards, maybe even every apprentice, to be equipped with the superior spell-effect.

Summon Forever Frost Tower - Creates a long lasting crystal version of the forever frost tower, reducing the expense with building and moving the tower.

Summon Dire wolves - Summon large wolves to kill people.

Summon Snakes
- Summons lots of snakes, adapted to the desert or swamp, which have highly poisonous venom added from a different snake species.

Rain of Arrows - Summons sharp crystal arrows above the enemy shaped to fall like a volley of arrows.

Cloudkill - Toxic fog designed to be constantly maintained for controlled push directly into enemy formations, while easy for us to dismiss by ending maintenance.

Crystal Permanence
- Find the cheapest gems that are still effective and find a way to mass import them to further reduce the cost of long lasting crystal structures.

Just some ideas.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:13 pm »

If we want to do something with crystals, then how about...

Crystoculture: The act of growing crystals. Modify the lasting-crystal gem technology to instead use the gems to grow the crystal naturally in our reality. It will take time for the crystals to grow, as well as nutrients of some sort, but if we can get some mages to shape the growing crystal, either as it's growing or after it's harvested, our production of crystal objects will begin to grow exponentially as 1 unit of growing crystal becomes 2, 4, 8, 32, 128, 512, 2048... It could even become the basis of a self-refortifying wall!
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 04, 2017, 10:39:27 pm »

Crystal fire wasps:-1 Duplicate the fire wasp swarm spell but replace the conjured flesh bodies with crystal bodies. Also make them larger(especially the wings because crystal may be lighter than steel, but still...) but less numerous and with a higher activity rate for faster wings and more force. Like, fist-sized. Also imbue them with instincts to land when the wind is too strong for their steel-like wings and to take off again when there is a face nearby to sting or the ground is bad for some reason.

They should be especially effective in the forest where there is lots of stuff to manoeuvre around. Their fire powers should be focused enough not to start any forest fires. There should be precious little ability to apply wind in a jungle. I find it difficult to believe that the weariness spell will effect them so they can be used as guards if they can be maintained and dropping a spell is a lot more noticeable than falling asleep is... And, more importantly, it works at sea. I suspect that we should move our wizard because they can currently beat us at sea and would want our wizard out for a turn.

Military academy:-1
 Add a military academy to our wizard academy. Train our soldiers to be more organised, attentive, maintained, coordinated... and to be resistant to mind effects... This would be a good site for future revisions to make certain troops more numerous or to incorporate some minor magical training or what have you...

Magic resistance:-1
 An enchantment that can be applied to an object to stop magic from functioning within its influence. Put it on our guards' helmets to prevent the sleep spell from closing their eyes(medieval types shouldn't know what the brain does...) or being affected by magic lightning. We can put it on our boats to stop them being directly affected by magic(or on the enemy boats if we can get some range out of it and their buffs are a problem...). Or put it on a tree and all hide behind it while the next doom spell comes along.

Blunderbuster:-1 Take 1 thick crystal tube, 1 multiple caltrop summons, 1 fireball...
profit...

Living tree:-1 Summon a living tree to fight amongst its brethren.
Later, we can try to summon a whole forest with which to march onto the plains...
Trees float, right? Marines?

+1 bestial splicing Because porpoiseman may not be the hero we want, but is the hero that we need!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2017, 01:07:20 am »

I think we should just try to solve the problem directly.

Anti-Magic Charm : A small charm that prevents the use of any magic but itself near a person. This charm is not simple to create, target expense is very expensive. Therefore there should be just enough to protect our generals and a few guards.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:15:39 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:20 am »

we can revise it later to improve, I suppose. Our recent experience in binding stuff to gems may help here....

+1 anti magic charm

Although I am beginning to think they have too big an advantage by now... but we can try!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 05, 2017, 03:34:29 am »

A magic device that reduces magic will not work. Instead, I propose this:

Mind Fortification: A ritual spell that takes several hours to cast but has a duration of a full day. This spell is used to fortify the minds of a large number of troops from negative mental influence.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2017, 05:16:23 am »

That spell doesn't adress our issues. We're being ambushed, a ritual fortification spell, in line with other long spells, would only be used in the main battle.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 05, 2017, 06:00:22 am »

We're not just being ambushed, we're being drowned in a sheer quantity of horses. That is our biggest issue. If we want to fix that, we should do something so that our own horses aren't Expensive.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 05, 2017, 06:16:47 am »

Hey, I was in favor of that, but everyone else insisted on mucking about with the crystal axes, which accomplished nothing at all because we already had effective non-crystal axes.

Honestly, crystal at all is a pointless thing, because we have the mountains bonus which gives us access to cheap metal, thus making crystal mostly redundant.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:18:56 am by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2017, 06:20:11 am »

I didn't want crystal axes, I wanted steel spears.

Going into new areas of magic is a good idea though.

+1 anti magic charm I guess

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2017, 07:16:10 am »

...I think those darn Moskurgans are getting back into mind-reading if they've retreated and charged at all the wrong times. I'm +1 for the anti-Magic charm of it also prevents spells from being cast through it. Mind-reading requires targeting a mind to read, so the charm would also prevent being mindread.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:27 am »

The problem with Mind Fortification and Anti-Magic Charm is that we don't have anywhere to start. If we had some spell with components that could be utilized for those spells, I'd support them, but for the moment, -1 to both of them because of low chance of success.

If we could create something to bridge the gap between our magics and Anti-Magic Charm, however...
~~~
Counter Spell: A skilled mage of ours can cast a spell with an enemy mage from a distance... in all the wrong ways. It goes like this: if our mages can cast spells together, why not forcibly work our spell into an enemy spell to muck it up?
~~~
Now the question is, can they sense minds, or do they have to know where a mind is to read it?
~~~
Shaped Fog: A fog that we can manipulate the density and motion of. Can lead to creating shapes in the fog to act as decoys, or making it harder to blow the fog away by adapting it to the wind.
~~~
I'll -1 both of these, of course.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:00 am »

objection: we don't have time to do gradual anymore, we are collapsing on all fronts. except mountains.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2017, 09:06:25 am »

So instead, we risk the fate of Arstotzka on something that probably won't work.
~~~
Cloudkill - Toxic fog designed to be constantly maintained for controlled push directly into enemy formations, while easy for us to dismiss by ending maintenance.
This one, at least, is problematic because they have wind spells. -1. Odds are we'd get the fog back in our face before we could end it.
~~~
As I said earlier: time to get drastic. What ideas do you have that we can feasibly create based on what we already have that could turn the tide of battle?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 301