Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386280 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2760 on: May 31, 2017, 04:07:26 pm »

Yeah, I think Draignean has them all.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »

I want to say that he edited in the magic lances revision because I'm almost certain it was not there when I posted. I checked.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 31, 2017, 04:20:24 pm »

I want to say that he edited in the magic lances revision because I'm almost certain it was not there when I posted. I checked.

I absolutely did. That was a good catch.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:37 pm »

Also regarding the self-insert, it's fine. Since Draignean said he doesn't want it, 10ebbor10 definitely deserves it more.
But if they don't, just some Thane or other guy with a name that's some kind of Arstotzkan-like real-ish version of "Chiefwaffles" doing something cool is fine. And if that's too much work, I'm also completely fine with nothing.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »

I also said I don't want it. Besides, I have the feeling that if I were to take it, I'd die a hundred improbable yet terrible deaths.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 31, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »

My final proposal is The Juggernaut: By searching our kingdom far and wide, we have found a prodigy in the field of war. Standing 6 ft 8 inches, this juggernaut of a man bears much larger axes and tougher steel armor than normal. He will readily lead the charge to eradicate the foul Moskurgers, giving our people a champion in the process.
Well if nobody wants it, then we could give it to this guy...

Or my own gilded guardian gilda...

I mean, we will be designing a new champion eventually, right? May as well get started with their backstory...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:23 pm »

How about an officer who decides to bring an HC1-E with him into a skirmish, eliminates their anti-magic, and completely dominates the battle because of the cannon?
I'm not a huge fan of gilded guardian gilda. And this is just like a guy who gets a special mention in the report, not another champion or anything remotely similar to that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 31, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »

Exactly, it is someone who gets a special mention, and could then be converted into a champion using a design. I do not expect them to have an effect on the war now, but it would be nice to have some backstory on our upcoming champion and this is a chance to do so...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »

Chief Waflen!
Master of artillery... Chief Waflen!
Improbable shot... Chief Waflen!
Annoyance to Alm-you-tricka... Chief Waflen!
Super duper rapper... Chief Waflen!
Hail Chief Waflen!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:09 pm »

Future Design: AS-SO3-E "Overreach"
The "Overreach" shell uses our extensive knowledge in the manipulation of circuits, magegems, and fireballs to create a devastating shell.

Inside the Overreach are two AA-size Magegems, connected in series by crystal wiring. These Magegems are purposely overcharged during creation, creating a notably unstable effect. But without introducing any more magical energy, the Magegems will remain stable. Another AAA-size Magegem lies within the shell. A pressure-sensitive circuit in the shell connects the AAA Magegem to the AA series. Once this circuit is tripped by the shell impacting ground or some other object, it'll detonate the shell via allowing the energy from the AAA magegem to be transferred to the AA Magegems, pushing them past critical levels.
Circuits placed on the AA Magegems are made to "tune" the detonating Magegems into a fireball form, making it appear as if the shells explode with the forces of several PSFs. Normally, each AA-size Magegem is enough for roughly one flare (and therefore roughly one PSF), but a lot of the energy used in summoning PSFs and Flares goes to making a stable projectile and giving it heavy momentum. Whereas the Overreach's detonation can forego those spell aspects in favor of a bigger explosion.
The Overreach is built with a crystal "tip", with the rest of the shell being made from metals. The crystal tip gives it mild armor piercing capabilities. The Overreach can pierce armor to a degree noticeably higher than our current standard shells, but not anywhere near the point where we could call it an armor-piercing shell.

The result is an awe-inspiring new weapon. A shell which explodes with the force of multiple fireballs upon impact, giving it a massive and devastating area of effect. Its mild AP capabilities allow it to be more effective against armor, too, piercing a small amount of it before exploding.
Since we're building most of the shell casing from metal, we can take advantage of our plentiful mountain metals to create this design. Our extensive knowledge with designing shells (such as the Equalizer), Circuits (Many designs), and Magegems, should make this design an easy task for us.

TL;DR: An explosive shell that detonates with the force of multiple fireballs using 2x AA Magegems. A basic crystal tip makes it a precursor to proper armor-piercing shells as well as giving it very mild AP capabilities. The explosion force is possible because we're using the energy just for the explosion part of a fireball, not the momentum or stable projectile aspects.

EDIT:
Also of relevance is the revision next round. I'm thinking upgrading Magegems, the steam engine, crystal upgrading, or crystal equipment.

Future Revision: Crystal Equipment
Our plate mail is cool and all, but it's not crystal. This is a problem! One which is easily fixed. With some additions to the Crystalworks, we can shift our plate mail production from metal to crystal and greatly improve our soldiers' survivability with harder and lighter armor.
Our broadswords have some application where our crystal axes don't. Let's make them out of crystal for harder and sharper swords!
Our arrows could probably be better. Let's replace the tips with sharper and harder crystal. Even if they make themselves a ripoff of our platemail but with their """"metal"""", they won't be safe!
Our soldiers have wooden shields. Let's remedy this with light and hard crystal.
Hell, if there's anything else that we can make out of crystal, let's do it.

Upgrading the steam engine is just self explanatory miniaturization. Upgrading magegems is self-explanatory. Upgrading Crystal (Polymer Crystal) was already posted earlier.

But what about the Crystal Spyglass? The problem with it is that it seems like something in between a Design and Revision. Too simple for a design, but too complicated for a revision. But it is potentially really useful, so...
Future Revision: Crystal Spyglass
Our Mathemagicians believe they have found a way that can change the optical properties of crystal. With some certain tweaks to the formulas in a Crystalworks production line, we can create a type of crystal that when properly applied, can actually magnify far-away distances and sites. This has immense application for our artillery, and the crystal has been quickly put in metal "cylinders" for use by far-away artillery spotters. Our artillery can find targets much more quickly, more efficiently, and more safely.

I'm not confident that we could get away with this in a revision, but I personally think if we make it a design, it should have some extra features making it worthy of a design. An enchantment highlighting enemies or living things? Something like that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:30:40 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »

Unless we have enough Equalisers to seriously nullify their Lucky Shot among both their archers and ballistas, crystal equipment is pointless.

On a different subject, I believe we should develop a Seeking Fireball at some point. It's a good spell on its own, the seeking aspect falls under either Evocation or Conjuration instead of Divination (so less malus there), and we'll get a bonus due to developing it as a Fireball variant. It'll let us get our own equivalent to Lucky Shot, one which is easier to research for us than a Divination spell and which has greater potential for development than Lucky Shot.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »

I think that combining our firbals with conjuration to conjure a fireball at a specific location would be better. IFor now it would just be a spell to blow up a point near a carpet or something, but it would have further possibilities...
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 01, 2017, 03:03:07 am »

I think that combining our firbals with conjuration to conjure a fireball at a specific location would be better. IFor now it would just be a spell to blow up a point near a carpet or something, but it would have further possibilities...

Why not just do my elemental control fireballs?  Basically make the caster stay linked to the fireball as it flies so they can direct it and detonate it on command.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 01, 2017, 03:32:39 am »

Because that wouldn't be technology that progresses towards massively remote casting. We still need to summon millions of nukes at a distant location to all go off simultaneously to reduce an entire army to ash. Remote-control spells won't help with that, remote summoned spells will...
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 01, 2017, 03:44:19 am »

Because that wouldn't be technology that progresses towards massively remote casting. We still need to summon millions of nukes at a distant location to all go off simultaneously to reduce an entire army to ash. Remote-control spells won't help with that, remote summoned spells will...

We have a wall of fire.

So first we control fireballs to move around and be sustained at a distance.

Then we have walls/waves of life-like fire advance on and burn the enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 301