Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386773 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2115 on: May 09, 2017, 04:28:28 pm »

Note: Streamlining any process required to build this will make it just barely Expensive.  The biggest issue with this device is the spotting system and poor lethality of near-misses at high angles.

I appreciate you tried to sneak crystal energy storage into the design, but that is a design all on its own.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:30:30 pm by evictedSaint »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »

Yeez, turns out I was justified being worried about being overambitious. Half our dice are gone.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »

...Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Extreme accuracy and extreme range is nice, but the "not fitting on boats" and "Very Expensive" things are very bad for what I was intending.

So lemme see ifI can see this right:
Benefits:
-Extremely accurate
-Beyond LOS range
Bad things:
-Very Expensive
-Doesn't fit on boat
-Hurts Routing
-Requires supply train
-Heavy water requirements
-Takes more apprentices
-Worse angling
Unknown:
-Firing rate? There's a firing rate bug, yeah, but I dunno how this compares to the firing rate of a HC1-E.
Evicted, is this list accurate?

So all in all, slightly disappointing. I was hoping more for primarily a reduction in Expense + mundane use first then everything else later, but instead...
Oh well. It has a ton of potential and even if we don't revise it, it'll be immediately useful in the front lines. I'll probably post some revision ideas later.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: May 09, 2017, 04:36:15 pm »

Maybe we can revise it to be Expensive + light enough for boats? That'd be the optimal solution if possible.
Boats is an issue since that was half the point of the design. Expense is an issue because that was the other half of the design's point.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 09, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »

Highly doubt we can do that. You made the thing too big and too ambitious, and we're lucky we rolled so good and still have something remotely functional.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 09, 2017, 04:50:52 pm »

Yep - except for angling, that should also include -45°  I'll fix that.  Your engineers already know to make that a feature. 

It was an ambituous design that has more firepower and range than anything in the world, including Moskurgs armory.  It is also easily revisable into Expensive, an increase in fire rate, deadlier ammo, or an increase in reliability.  You have apprentices to spare, and a better boat would carry it if you kept it in mind.

You guys wanted a lot out of this gun and I'm sorry I couldn't give you everything.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 09, 2017, 04:52:49 pm »

NExt turn is the time for the steamworks I believe.

Anyway, this thing is still good but it needs shells.

any ideas?

Oh, I see evictedsaint said it is easily reviseable into expensive. Expensive cannon or cannon with shells? shells would help a lot with boats as well...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 09, 2017, 04:56:33 pm »

Anywhoo, revision ideas. No specific order.
1.) Explosive shells: Add splash damage to our superaccurate shells.
2.) Fix Anti-magic shells.
3.) Cheaper (pretty important)
4.) Fits on boats (pretty important)
5.) Lower Apprentice requirements (more circuits)
6.) Fix water requirements (summon fog?)
7.) Spotting (Flares are still a viable option)
8.) And way more.
Luckily the Onslaught is still completely viable - it works out of the gate and is more or less a straight-up upgrade to our H1-E's. It's a great weapon, just not amazing.

One more question. Evicted, because of the fact that HC1-E's don't use the metal supplies yet, can a Cheapen revision for the HA1 also work on the HC1-E as that bonus action? Assuming the revision can logically be applied to both, of course. Also this is less likely, but is it possible to get a revision on both expense and weight? It can be easily done in a logical way - less materials used without sacrificing performance, making it easier to make + lighter.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:08 pm »

Anyway, here are my 2 proposals.

Ambitious (trying to improve cost on small and big cannons)

Revision : Our forges run day and night to provide sufficient steel for our cannons. With inscribed fire runes, dogwood mages growing wood for charcoal, and crystal molds we can dramatically increase the speed and quality of steel production.

Revision : Rifling our cannons is a complex affair, as is the construction of long barrels. A solution has been found. A steam engine, powering a drill with a crystal (which is stronger than steel) drillbit makes production easier. Barrels, rather than being cast hollow are created as solid blocks, then bored out rapidly. This created a strong and more importantly consistent barrel.

I'm also having the silly idea of trying to improve the range even more and making a true Paris Gun.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:02:37 pm by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 09, 2017, 05:03:14 pm »

If you revise your manufacturing process in a way that applies to both, then yeah it'll do that.  You guys have been comming up with these insane weapons with minimal infastructure to support them so far; I think I mentioned in the design that the HA1 is as far as you can get without a SERIOUS overhaul of your manufacturing process.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 09, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »

Also, after the factory, we should definitely move forward on the Crystalclad idea. Here's a basic list of ideas for principles to put in the Crystalclad so we can avoid being too ambitious again:
Crystalclad Design Ideas/Improvements/Principles:
1.) Crystal armoring. This is the simplest of them all - summon crystal but as armor instead of weapons. Armor shaping is pretty easy at this point; we're not trying to slope it or anything. yet.
2.) Big. This thing should fit an unrevised HA1 in addition to the required steam engines without sacrificing anything like the Fog-O-War is with the steam engines. And instead of a  HA1, it could be configured to instead fit an armament of HC1-E's allowing for a more devastating closer-range attack.

While I would like to address the anti-magic shell or whole "not fitting on boats" thing, a cheapen action for both HC1-E's and HA1's would by far be the best option here. Helps a lot in both naval and land.
Speaking of boats, what do people think of an order for HA1 artillery to focus attention on aiding at sea when they have no land targets?

And yeah. I'm definitely 100% on board with the factory next design phase. I do not believe that it was a mistake not to do it this turn, but a factory will help with just about everything. Crystalclads, our cannons, more, etc.

EDIT: Waitno. Better Best idea.
(Joke) Design: Tower of FIRE
Towers are useful. Arstotzkans are agreed on that. But what if we made them more useful?
Introducing the tower of fire. The name is actually a bit of a misnomer. It looks like a tower, but it's actually a gigantic barrel for our biggest artillery gun yet, housed underneath Arstotzka. Sure, we may have a large damaging earthquake every time it fires, and sure, we may lose entire companies of soldiers due to the occasional misfire, but surely this is a good idea.

But regarding what revision to use for cannon/artillery expense: I'm leaning towards a factory-like revision to explicitly make the Factory design next design phase easier. But yet again, maybe a factory-like revision would be made redundant by a factory?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:07:54 pm by Chiefwaffles »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 09, 2017, 05:07:29 pm »

If you revise your manufacturing process in a way that applies to both, then yeah it'll do that.  You guys have been comming up with these insane weapons with minimal infastructure to support them so far; I think I mentioned in the design that the HA1 is as far as you can get without a SERIOUS overhaul of your manufacturing process.

I mean, we kind off had to. Moskurg has artillery with the same range, better accuracy, and cheaper, and fire weaponry.

In any case, given how hard the new range was for us it should be simply impossible for them. Ballistae are simply not made for these ranges, and there's no wsy you can make it work.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 09, 2017, 05:08:54 pm »

I won't be surprised if Moskurg makes it so each ballista bolt is personally guided by a guardian angel granting it matching accuracy and range to our artillery.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 09, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »

I was right about overreaching. I am smart.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 09, 2017, 05:10:32 pm »

You got a giant cannon that can shoot 4 shots a minute further than you can aim. And you're complaining about that. Jeez.

Revision:Flame Condenser Rough Draft (Better name pending)
"Making a steam condenser? Ha that was nothing. This, this will change everything." - Me, with another me manically laughing in the distance.

The flame condenser is the ultimate in anti-Moskurg technology. The device looks a lot like a very strange trumpet of some sort, but it is so much more than that, its the solution to our enemy's anti-infantry Moskurtovs. It is, in most respects, incredibly similar to our steam condenser. The only difference is that is not attached to a cannon or engine, but is instead carried by a "fire-wrangler." Also it puts out fires by creating a powerfully cold low pressure area within the horn, which sucks the fire in and counteracts it with incredible cold. With just a few tweaks to the existing technology, we have our very own anti-fire device. Whats even better is, since the spell is engraved on the inside of the horn like the HC2 cannons, any soldier can wield it, but must take care with it, as it never stops being cold. Extra gloves provided.

Alternatively, we could just switch it in reverse and have a constant frosty mist coming out of it... Hmm...
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 301