Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199818 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #3150 on: September 05, 2017, 04:45:13 am »

We end this TODAY.

Arc Halberds
For a long time the Halberd has been Moskurg's favoured weapon, but ever since the advent of the Arstotzkan crystal armour the weapon has proved rather ineffective. With the Arc Halberd, that changes. With an oversized and reinforced wand of thunder as the shaft of the weapon, the Halberd's strikes are electrified; every blow hits not only with the force of the halberd, but also the electrical energy of the wand of thunder's blast concentrated on the contact point. Furthermore, the Arc Halberd is able to be used as a wand of thunder, delivering thunderbolts into the enemy from range as well.

Intended to be used by our line troops, effort is made to ensure the weapon can be used in either mode by our infantry.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 05, 2017, 06:53:26 am »

Ah, curses! I was so excited when I read about us reaching their capital before I read about us losing the espionage credit. A well-placed explosion in their Crystal Foundry would've ended this war for sure!

Anyway, Taricus is right. We need to end this. This war has dragged on far too long. We must spare no expense when it comes to creating the Final design.

I don't know what that should be, though. I'll have to think about it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 05, 2017, 07:20:02 am »

I suggest this (again again again):

Lightning Rifle
Our first foray into a purely mundane-usable magical item, this rifle is a housing around a WoT that allows even the most magocally-incapable moskurger to deliver divine retribution upon the Arstotzkans. It consists of a lightning rod approximately three feet long, engraved with hymns of control to aide in straight shooting, a firing mechanism that activates the wand and directs the strike through the rod, a breech allowing the user to remove the spend wand and insert a fresh one, and a wooden frame for ergonomic handling. The only complex part here is the firing mechanism, as it will have to activate the wand without any magical assistance from the user. However, the rest should be quite simple, and due to the ubiquitous supply of Wands we have available, these rifle and their ammo should be readily available.

The Arstotzkans have always been better in melee, so less strike them down before they reach us.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:44 am »

Melee is always going to be a concern whether we like it or not Kashyyk. Besides, the Arc Halberd is capable of firing lightning as well.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:24 am »

Evicted has described the Arstotzkan rifles as being usable in "melee" multiple times, and if we develop what is basically a fling-lock rifle, then actual melee will cease to be a thing because we shoot everyone before they get close.

Honestly, our two weapons feel like different ends of the musket scale. One is a melee weapon that happens to shoot something out of it before you stab someone, and the other is a ranged weapon which you might be able to stab someone with if they get to close. I personally believe that we have the technology available to use to skip past the "inaccurate volley-fire" period of fire arms that your weapon is designed for.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:15 am »

While the rifle is probably more powerful in general, do consider which one will be best for urban warfare, which will be what matters most in the upcoming turn.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 05, 2017, 11:13:47 am »

Okay yeah Arc Halberds are gonna be the best choice then. And hey, air support might be more viable since we aren't gonna be missing Arstotzkans.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: September 05, 2017, 11:33:21 am »

And hey, air support might be more viable since we aren't gonna be missing Arstotzkans.
Uh, you realise we only need to defeat Arstotzka, not literally wipe them out, right? Deliberately bombing non-strategic targets is not the sort of thing Moskurg should be known for.

I mean, you're just wasting ammunition that way. It's a more efficient use of resources to focus on military targets.

Anyway, Egan raises a good point. Urban warfare is new to us. We won't be able to deploy massed formations when we enter melee- the superior Arstotzkan troops will butcher us even if we reduce the city to rubble- you still can't march through rubble.
In other words, we really should get ourselves a better infantry weapon. And revise some infantry armour.

I like the idea of the Arc Halberd, but you should specify that the majority of the handle is well insulated. And incorporate some of Kashyyk's ideas regarding firing mechanisms- as it stands, you need to have some magical aptitude to fire a WoT. The Arc Halberd should have some means of being activated by mundane soldiers- like a simple localised enchantment that fires the wand when hit with some force, and a trigger mechanism with which to hit it... basically what Kashyyk did.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:00 am »

Well, the melee part is intended to activate on contact, so that shouldn't be too difficult to do. IF you've got suggestions for the range mode, fire away; I don't have any at the moment.

And aerial bombardment is still worthwhile, and could make them act more chivalrously for once; I doubt they'll shoot down a phoenix over their own city.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:35 pm »

Warrior's Robes
Adamantine has become one of our trademarks. One final change has led to a clothlike version of adamantine, that retains its constant temperature and an unnatural resistance to tearing or piercing. A thick robe made of the new adamantine serves as the backing for a few strategic plates of our toughest adamantine, providing protection to the front of the torso, limited protection to the back, protection on the legs (Underneath the robes), and some protection on the hands and arms. The face is protected by a close-faced transparent-adamantine helmet with a thin, air-permeable "veil" of adamantine covering the breathing gaps, allowing air but not heat (i.e., fire) to enter. The adamantine is non-conductive, if that is possible.

Boom, infantry protection. Or, even better:

Prayers of the Faithful
A new spell is devised, based on our group-enchanting work with both adamantine and Lucky Strike, that allows our mages to enchant large swaths of our army with a simple incantation, that causes the microspells in our lightning strikes to avoid our own men at all costs.

Follow THAT up with a revision to cheapen lightning, and we won't even be able to lose---we'd have apprentices casting the Hammer of Allah, and we would NEVER be out of range of our lightning support---no matter how close the battle gets, we'd have the capability to hit the Arstotzkans with lightning. And we can roll this AT ADVANTAGE because of the research credit.

Better plan, revision candidate:
Our lightning spells are reworked, so that the microspell avoids adamantine and those wearing it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:20:40 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: September 05, 2017, 04:30:54 pm »

I think our design should be some infantry weapon, our first revision probably mundane-usable lightning wands, and the second should be armor.
Better to use the design for a weapon than for armor, because firepower is where we have the larger disparity with Arstotzka. Halbard and rifle have about tge same utility, so i think my vote is for halbard because it's cooler.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: September 05, 2017, 04:37:25 pm »

Actually, our halberds should still be capable of cutting up Arstotzkans, but our lack of full-body armor is hurting us. A lot.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:03 pm »

We already do have full body armour however.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »

Lamellar isn't full-body armor.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: September 05, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is more-or-less what your lamellar armor looks like, plus some shoulder pads.  It's primarily painted adamantium plates backed by a thick leather.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 217