Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188856 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2700 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:08 am »

Anything conventional must, in one turn, destroy Arstotzka's artillery advantage entirely.

EDIT:

If we improved or made cheaper our enchanted ballista with our now-plentiful magical experience...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:34:48 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 05, 2017, 03:23:48 pm »

So. What're we going to do?

Quote from: Votes
Skyskiff:

Operation Finality: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:42 pm »

I ain't the best with fluff right now.

Anti-Magic Extension: Building upon our existing staves and our further control of fickle things, we have sought to extend the range of our Anti-Magic Staves out to Extreme range while keeping their area of effect the same.

Enhanced Airships: By directly enchanting our Air Ships to have flight and propulsion, as well as streamlining the construction through making the ships entirely out of Adamantium and having increased structure of manufacture, we have increased the rate at which we produce these marvels while also increasing their durability.
Skyskiff:

Anti-Magic Extension:

Enhanced Airships: (1)

We either Anti-Magic or buff up our air. Getting more and stronger Airships is something we should have done ages ago.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 05, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »

Skyskiff:  (1) Kashyyk

Anti-Magic Extension:

Enhanced Airships: (1) SMMI

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 05, 2017, 04:30:46 pm »

Airships is revision-worthy, if even. They can't compensate for their blasted cannons.

I would edit the goals of the antimagic and add a bit of fluff like this:

Staff of Inquisition
Long has it been known that magic is...different, from what we have seen before. Long has it been known that all miracles from from One, and He alone has power. Therefore, by drawing deeper upon our faith, we sever the Arstotzkans further from the magic. We strengthen the enchantments upon a Staff of Tubikh Rrahim, increasing the range at which magic is denied out to Extreme range, if at all possible. The user retains control over the rough shape of the antimagic, exactly as it is now. The only difference is the distance it can reach and the strength of the enchantments.

THIS can happen, I think. If we can stop their artillery (Giving US artillery domination again) we gain control over the battlefield (And their crystalline carts just sorta stop moving). If we push them back, we go for some form of ultra-wind-elemental capable of hitting Arstotzkans so hard that they won't ever think again. Change the game. Having proxies (That can't be hurt by little things like cannonballs, fireballs, crystal axes, or Doomsday) do all our fighting should be quite....amusing, even if we're going to have to start revising tighter control over our antimagic to make it work. That, or, you know, just get an airship close enough to shut down cannons, then turning off all antimagic affecting the fields in between us and the cannons.

Skyskiff:  (1) Kashyyk

Staff of Inquisition: (1) Madman198237

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: July 05, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »

Skyskiff:  (2) Kashyyk, Happerry

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:39 pm »

Please don't vote for the Skyskiff. It's asking for another VE rating.

We don't NEED to fill the holds with Pegasi, just apply the enchantments directly to the boat.

The Skyskiff isn't going to win us this war. It can't kill their artillery, not enough, not fast enough. The enemy is

Shutting down all their artillery with antimagic, however, is clearly doable. Even if we have to use the revision to flood the fields with cheap Staves of Tubikh Rrahim and run to Medium range, we can stop their cannons, and get back to blasting with Firestorm shells and ballistae.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: July 06, 2017, 03:01:51 am »

Skyskiff (hull-flight version (don't put this part in the name)): A compromise between Pegasi and the Alsamma Safina, the Skyskiff has both enough armour to survive Arstotzkan rifles, and enough speed to avoid their cannons. Shaped like a narrow boat, the Skyskiff- at the insistence of certain loud-mouthed designers who claim that things other than carpets are capable of flight- has the flight enchantments of Pegasi inscribed into its hull rather than carrying carpets in the hold like the Alsamma Safina, and carries a two-man crew- one pilot, who maintains the flight enchantments and provides propulsion, and one bomber, who drops Firestorm Shells and fires Wands of Thunderbolts. The Skyskiff is constructed entirely out of lightweight Adamantium, with the bottom of the hull being slightly thicker, to stop Arstotzkan rifles.

Better?

Also, for crying out loud. Why must everyone else's design always be entirely useless and yours literally perfect.
It was mentioned in the BR that our bombers weren't effective because they were getting shot down. Implying that if they weren't, they would be effective.
And there is no way that we will be able to shut down all of their artillery, not unless we are also shutting down all our stuff, because that would be ludicrously unbalanced. Or, to put it mechanically, you are guaranteeing that your design will be Cheap enough to apply to the entire battlefield whilst also having Extreme Range. Even with a revision, that is unlikely to happen. Maybe if we roll sixes across the board, and eS decides that he wants this game to drag on for another 50 turns and thus becomes biased in our favour.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying your design would be useless. I can acknowledge that it has merit. Just not that it is perfect.

Skyskiff:  (2) Kashyyk, Happerry
Skyskiff (Alternate Version):

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 06, 2017, 06:33:19 am »

evicted has subtly implied that he doesn't want antimagic in the game, by making it very easy for both sides to just counter any antimagic effects by strengthening their spells. I do regret suggesting antimagic all those turns ago, as I think we would have made much more progress by designing something else. However, what's done is done and I think capitalising on our air orce is our best bet for victory.

Skyskiff:  (1)  Happerry
Skyskiff (Alternate Version): (1) Kashyyk

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 06, 2017, 06:39:00 am »

The Skyskiff is a good upgrade from the War Pegadi, but I think the deployment of more and stronger Airships will allow for greater Arsty destruction. Plus, lowering the cost by 1 will make them as common as War Pegasi, getting more comparative bang for our buck.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: July 06, 2017, 06:46:16 am »

If we're simply wanting to get more[/b] revising war pegasi to be cheaper would theoretically reduce the cost of the Alsamma Safina as well, as I believe that's the main thing keeping it at expensive.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:06 am »

evicted has subtly implied that he doesn't want antimagic in the game, by making it very easy for both sides to just counter any antimagic effects by strengthening their spells.

It's more I'm wary of 1-turn hard counters that invalidate dozens of turns of research.

I'm being asked to decide if fireballs are more effective than lightning as a weapon, but then one side says "you can't do that, I have a shield" and the other side says "nuh-uh, my magic is anti-shield and kills you anyways! Pew pew!" and then the other side says "yeah well my shield is super-duper powerful and none of your magic can go through it, so there" and then the other side goes "well I've got a shield too, so you can't kill me either" and the other side fires back with "yeah, but I've had that shield one turn longer, so I'm even better at shooting through shields because I have more experience" and I'm standing there in a god damn referee shirt and both sides are expecting me to make a judgement call, and at least one side will be mad no matter what I say or do.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:36 am »

But that's why we'd want anti magic :p

I do appreciate the difficulty you're in though.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:21 am »

The GOAL is to shut down all magic in an area, if necessary, not simply say "AND IT ONLY AFFECTS THEM". However, with the control we already have. I'm saying that there are better, saner ways to do things that adding MORE of what already screwed with one of our designs.

And my point is: Antimagic is guaranteed, if we can get it in range, to disable all their artillery. Well, if we get ENOUGH of it in range, which should be doable. Getting more flying ships overhead would be nice, but if we can't kill off enough artillery while just standing back and zapping it all one by one, how is putting a few more hand grenades over their heads going to help? At least to my knowledge, a Wand of Lightning is less powerful than regular old cloud-based lightning, meaning that carrying boatloads (Quite literally) of wands isn't a great option either.

Quite honestly, I like the idea of using smaller, lighter skiffs with some armor to go flying around, but I can't see it doing enough damage to matter.

Sorry. Yesterday was somewhat frustrating, through no fault of most people here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 06, 2017, 08:39:37 am »

So, I definitely can't convince anyone to support my Wunderwaffle? No? Anybody?
Well, unless someone else pops up willing to do what must be done, I guess I'll go with Skyskiffs for now. We can use our revision to create explosive shells. Combined, we should be able to take out a decent chunk of their artillery/tanks.
Skyskiff:  (1)  Happerry
Skyskiff (Alternate Version): (2) Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

Operation Finality: (0)

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 217