Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199665 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2655 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:07 am »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Environment :
(1) Gusts and Eddies : Kashyyk

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 30, 2017, 08:38:51 am »

Somebody please read specifically the design description for Gusts and Eddies and see if you can figure out the priorities, would you? I'm not entirely confident in it. I feel like there should be more fluff, but I also feel like additional fluff is going to confuse things.

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Environment :
(2) Gusts and Eddies : Kashyyk, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:52 am »

Hmm. My question is how. How does it decrease their range further? It doesn't sound like 'push harder' is going to work.
Might I recommend that instead of trying to decrease their range directly, you instead decrease their effective range by making their shots less accurate- or rather, directing their shots away from our troops. Combine downwards deflection with sideways deflection, you know?
Something like

Storm Composer: The wind dances to our tune, and what a merry tune it is. By forcing shells downwards, we have drastically decreased their range. But not enough. The tune is merry, but amateurish. We need a composer. The spell is modified so that one mage 'leads' the others, whilst not actually having to cast themselves. With all their attention directed towards control, we are able to further fine-tune the storm. This shall be applied to not only force shells downwards, but also deflect them sideways, away from our forces, creating safe spaces where Arstotzkan shells never fall, despite being only at long range. (Incidental benefits may include a reduction in distractions)

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(1) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:04 am »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(2) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13, Detoxicated

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:49 am »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(1) Gusts and Eddies : Madman198237
(3) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Kashyyk

I like the explanation of how this spell is supposed to work, and I now have an image of a load of wizards miming musical instruments in front of a conductor.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:35 am »

Because it won't work, NUKE.

Once again: They rely on mass-fire. They don't need accuracy, and they frankly don't care if their shells go sideway, because they'll still be killing us.

We can get another level of range reduction. The original (Mistaken) design post would've done much more than that (Stopped shells in midflight). I see no reason why we can't do something significantly less powerful in a design AND a revision. And we've already given it the design. Basically, NUKE, I have no faith in sideways deflection. It's not good enough. Marching in columns is suicide, especially if just a few (5% or even less) cannonballs get through.

So, I say again: Dropping them by one more bracket is very doable, and will even out artillery again. We NEED that. Basically, increasing the strength of our new spell, by just one bracket, will give us the capability to go back to shooting them with our enchanted ballistae. And our regular ballistae can move up into the range of their regular cannons, and start firing again.

EDIT:
Also, my plan uses gravity to help it out. Why is sending them sideways any easier than adjusting their course DOWNWARDS?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:46:46 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 30, 2017, 10:48:27 am »

Madman. Please. You don't need to convince me that this spell would be useful. My problem is with this:
Dropping them by one more bracket is very doable
How. Explain to me how, if a SIX is not good enough, you are going to make the wind powerful enough to push shells hard enough to drop them another range bracket.

I realise that deflecting shells is not perfect. But, see, perfection is not within our grasp. To literally nullify their artillery in a single turn would be unbalanced AF. So, yeah, maybe we need to march in slightly sub-optimal formations. If that's what it takes to let us actually do anything, that's what it takes.

EDIT:
EDIT:
Also, my plan uses gravity to help it out. Why is sending them sideways any easier than adjusting their course DOWNWARDS?
Oh. Well, uh, I thought this was obvious.

See, a shell is designed for aerodynamicness in a forwards direction; to minimise wind resistance. As such, pushing a shell backwards with air is substantially harder than pushing it to one side.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:50:25 am by NUKE9.13 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 30, 2017, 10:52:55 am »

No, we rolled a 6 and got a semi-intelligent storm that won't mess with our own projectiles and soldiers. Again, I mentioned it: Communications failure. I did not explain and emphasize what was important about the plan, and so we got something different.

My problem is that you're not proposing to do anything about their artillery, and I'm not proposing anything that completely nullifies it. You're proposing that we trust in 100% reliability of your spell, because if we get anything LESS than that we're going to get killed in huge numbers. Cannonballs firing through ranks of soldiers like this can kill upwards of 40 men per shot.

I'm not trying to convince you that my spell is useful, we're all smart enough to understand that both spells, theoretically, might work. However, the problem is that practice says that marching in columns towards enemy artillery is voluntary suicide. The six was, effectively, wasted in making the storm intelligent.

That said, on Discord, SMMI has had some fun ideas about what you can do with intelligent storms. Namely, storm elementals are probably two turns out. Next turn we use another design to separate further our wizards from the storm/perfect our control, and then the turn after we design ourselves a spell that allows a mage to summon and control what amounts to a swirly troll-shaped mass of wind and lightning. Which will be extremely fun.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 30, 2017, 01:38:44 pm »

Seems like storm composer is winning. Revision soon.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(2) Gusts and Eddies : Madman198237, SMMI
(3) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Kashyyk

I like the explanation of how this spell is supposed to work, and I now have an image of a load of wizards miming musical instruments in front of a conductor.

Voted. I don't see a discernable difference between the two except I know that more raw wind power equals more potential for damage to the Arsty
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 30, 2017, 02:54:35 pm »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(2) Gusts and Eddies : Madman198237, SMMI
(4) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 01, 2017, 03:49:47 am »

(0) Flight Sails :
(0) Pegasi Envelopment :
(3) Gusts and Eddies : Madman198237, SMMI, AC
(4) Storm Composer : NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Taricus
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 02, 2017, 01:00:01 am »

Revision: Storm Composer [2+1]

By relying on a single leader to provide the majority of the intent to the storm, the weather gains greater focus.  Enemy artillery loses one additional range, so long as he maintains focus.  The leader is still not immune to distractions; there are fewer flaws without every wizard providing their own wandering thoughts, but it's not perfect.

Still, it should do just fine for the time being.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: July 02, 2017, 01:00:46 am »

Where are you wanting to send Hayat this year?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 02, 2017, 02:49:31 am »

I'm thinking the desert. Home-terrain advantage gives her the best chance of surviving... I mean, uh, not that I doubt our ability to win this war or anything.

Quote from: Send Hayat to the
(1) Desert: NUKE9.13
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 217