Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199431 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2070 on: May 30, 2017, 02:13:13 am »

We could afford to lose ground on the desert, but mostly I'd be trying to force a duel and a knockout on Myark this turn, and I think they'll either put Myark on the ocean again or put Myark on the desert, and the desert is the overall more threatening position for them to try for.

As for next turn, I'm not sure what to do.  The cart is an idea, but we might want to just try to make smoke bombs, to see if we can close to medium range and let our staffs shut down their artillery for the final charge, where we should route them utterly in melee.  With upgraded armor, they shouldn't be able to fill that close-in gap with arrows.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:19:08 am by Devastator »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:58 am »

This really doesn't feel like it's addressed as many of our concerns as a design could have. I guess we'll have to see what the turn report says.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 30, 2017, 04:34:10 am »

Yeah, but what are we going to do?  I really have no idea how their artillery is so good.  We could've design a new ballista, and it would have been totally outclassed all the same.  Some air support will help a little, but I'm expecting their next invention is radar-targeted explosive shells.  Or they will just have the internal combustion engine, because why not?

I think the only way we win it is with strong enough troops to simply ignore a few hits, with maybe some smoke to screw up their targetting.  Which is disappointing, as it doesn't use magic.

We might be okay, if the carpets can bomb them, but will it be enough?  Dunno.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:14:55 am by Devastator »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:54 am »

Their artillery is magic. It is totally reasonable that it outclasses our ballistae.

If we want to increase survivability vs artillery, divination is the way to go. We can simply not be where their shells fall. But I'd rather not focus on being reactive, and work on our airforce instead.

I'm hoping that Adamantium arrows will let our horse archers start dealing casualties again.
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 30, 2017, 05:26:24 am »

I'm hoping that Adamantium arrows will let our horse archers start dealing casualties again.

Yeah, that would help, it would let us pick off their artillery spotters.

That said, I've changed my mind and next turn we should flip back to the land cart.  Just forget the part about the ballista, simply have a wooden frame with thick adamantium plating on wheels, and have people push it forwards.  Put an antimagic caster in there, and when they reach in-range of the enemy cannons, they can come out and start the killing.  We don't need a ballista in there at all.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:06:13 am by Devastator »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 30, 2017, 06:24:19 am »

So that went well...
So where do we go next?
Expense Chit:
Spend on Adamantium: (3) Devastator, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 30, 2017, 08:06:14 am »

Expense Chit:
Spend on Adamantium: (4) Devastator, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Madman198237

Send al-Mutriqa to the Desert : (1) Devastator
Keep al-Mutriqa in the Jungle/Taiga: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 30, 2017, 08:23:44 am »

Problem with proto-tank is that without an engine it will be hella slow, and thus easily targeted by artillery. I mean, even with an engine it could be targeted by artillery.

I'm going to suggest the Alsamma Safina for next turn. I thought about it even more, and decided that it might not be as vulnerable to fireballs as I fear, depending on how high it flies, and we can always design Mithril the turn after and specify that the first thing we do with it is make the 'balloon' out of it.
Because seriously, airforce beats artillery.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:38 am »

The proto-tank is specifically made of adamantine thick enough to resist their cannonfire. Slow or not, if you can't kill it, you can't kill it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:18 am »

That would probably make it so heavy that we wouldn't be able to move it.

Expense Chit:
Spend on Adamantium: (5) Devastator, NUKE9.13, Detoxicated, Madman198237, Kashyyk

Send al-Mutriqa to the Desert : (1) Devastator
Keep al-Mutriqa in the Jungle/Taiga: (3) NUKE9.13, Madman198237, Kashyyk

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 30, 2017, 08:54:00 am »

So i was thinking of ways to make a magic engine. My current idea is to make an enchantment to create spinning  disks and have the disks be a substitute to the pistons of an engine. What do you guys think?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 30, 2017, 03:32:36 pm »

So i was thinking of ways to make a magic engine. My current idea is to make an enchantment to create spinning  disks and have the disks be a substitute to the pistons of an engine. What do you guys think?
Hmm. At that point, why bother building an engine? Just apply the spinning enchantment to the wheels/propeller.
We're not like Arstotzka, we don't have the magic needed to make a steam engine. Nor should we aim to, in my opinion.
...although, we are moving steadily in the direction of magitech. It may be worth considering.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »

The logic was more that if size and number is a factor to power output having it in disks allows us to keep adding disks untill we can get the power output we need where as applying it directly to the wheel or propeller relies on power directly scaling to the amount of energy we put in.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 30, 2017, 08:32:53 pm »

Well to be honest nuke, id like to see your ship as well but I think we should go for something like this first.
Shiraeiat Alhawa
Glorious mechanics of the holy adamantium have constructed this combination of science and wind. The Shiraeiat Alhawa is a three man glider that is constructed with an adamantium frame and a cloth that is spread over it. It has a long wing length and several ropes to enable the driver to engage in risky maneuvers. This glider model is started by being shot off of a ballista and its three inhabbitants each fulfill a specific role. The driver maneuvers the vehicle, while the bomber is carpeting the floor with fireshells. The support mage casts spells of wind to support the glider in flight, while also casting with available wands.

I  love the airship! We must first, however, indulge in aeronamics to truley master such a creation, therefore I say we widen our airforce to more designs to eventually make Mithril feasible. Having Mithril just like we have Adamantium now would not only support the creation of an airship it would also help our airforce overall...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:28 pm »

Aaand I seem to have missed the voting this turn. Ah well, at least we got some good stuff. Still want to research Mirage Shield sometime soon though, maybe copy their towers for a battlefield wide version, but I'd totally understand if we instead researched some sort of 'Internal Furnace' type spell to keep our troops warm and not frozen to death.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 217