Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199092 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1485 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:00 am »

Wow what timing. I was about to ask you when the update was coming :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 03, 2017, 11:31:15 am »

Okay, I think this turn's decision making is a given now.

I'd like to turn our attention towards next year.

The issues I see are as follows:
  • Arstotzkan winter stops Hammer of Allah and kills morale
  • Our artillery can't shoot down
  • Their artillery out-ranges ours
  • They're winning the skirmish phase

IMO, I think we should go with the Desert Mirage spell someone suggested previously. This spell will be able to distort the images of ships, ballista batteries and cavalry/infantry formations at long-medium range, making them disappear, look like something else or appear in places where there is nothing. This will allow cause enemy artillery to fire at the wrong locations, wasting them, and should be an easy gateway spell into the illusions school. We can later use this for experience for better illusions like Invisibility to create ambushes or sneak into enemy camps or to fake the locations of entire armies to lead the enemy astray.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:49:07 am by Kashyyk »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 03, 2017, 11:47:40 am »

Pretty sure we fixed the artillery range thing :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:27 am »

Still three things to work on :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 03, 2017, 11:51:45 am »

• They're winning the skirmish phase
Are they? I got the impression it was a wash.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 03, 2017, 11:54:36 am »

Nightly raids still result in death for both sides, as no new technologies have been developed to assist in skirmishes.  Arstotzka does slightly better.

They've been winning slightly for years.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 03, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »

That's what detect sniper was for.  ;-p

I would like to make the attempt to try for adamantium.  We would still have a revision to try for detect sniper (from detect ambush) which would help a lot with the skirmish phase.

But yeah, some kind of mass distorted vision or invisibility would wreck them pretty good too.  I'd say we have more experience in enchanting than illusion magic, at the moment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 03, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »

We might, but illusions are, after all, a thing caused by air and heat, and we have a lot of experience working with air (And getting shot with flames) and know what a mirage looks like----we're DESERT DWELLERS!

I want to save the revision for something special, though....
Staves of Tubikh Rrahim that can be fired from ballistae. Permanently active in a spherical area of emission, if we use our arty to drop these things in and amongst their cannons, we can disable them, force a relocation, while we do nothing but chew up their guys with arty fire.

EDIT:
Before I get a bunch of objections, the staves do NOT dispel enchantments, merely prevent them from working. I'm pretty sure that they can't be used to destroy crystal weapons without focusing. If they can be modified to allow OUR magic (So, basically, anything enchanted with OUR methods exactly) then we'll be golden regardless. Otherwise, just gotta wheel up a ballista or 20 and pepper them with antimagic.
Best option afterwards is, of course, to make a clean sweep of them, to prevent them collecting the staves, but it's not really an issue. They should be unable to use them, given their lack of knowledge about our methods and faith.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:26:06 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 03, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »

We might, but illusions are, after all, a thing caused by air and heat, and we have a lot of experience working with air (And getting shot with flames) and know what a mirage looks like----we're DESERT DWELLERS!

That's a better way of putting it.

I'm still strongly against giving the enemy working staffs of our antimagic.  They might reverse-engineer them.  If we're spending a revision on it, it would be to increase the power out to long-range.  I think their cannons are magic-powered, which would reduce the distance we need to cross.  If we're getting adamant, though, I want a revision to make our lamellar horse-armor as well.

..Upon some more though, there's a problem with the area mirage idea.  We'd need a layer of hot air, which would be directly opposing their cold-creation tower.  It's possible that we'd roll well creating the spell, and still be unable to create a mirage as their cold tower is simply more powerful.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:27:22 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »

Like I edited above:

EDIT:
Before I get a bunch of objections, the staves do NOT dispel enchantments, merely prevent them from working. I'm pretty sure that they can't be used to destroy crystal weapons without focusing. If they can be modified to allow OUR magic (So, basically, anything enchanted with OUR methods exactly) then we'll be golden regardless. Otherwise, just gotta wheel up a ballista or 20 and pepper them with antimagic.
Best option afterwards is, of course, to make a clean sweep of them, to prevent them collecting the staves, but it's not really an issue. They should be unable to use them, given their lack of knowledge about our methods and faith.

They should be logically unable to use them, as the spell and (I think) the staves still require devotion and prayer, neither of which are big in the land of the Arstotzkan heathens.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure our built-in enchatments work regardless of our antimagic, but our other spells are uncastable.  I think they would knock out any fielded crystal weapons, and prevent the enemy from casting, but I can't see how we could prevent them from recovering shot that must remain intact to work.  They could pick it up, give it to a cavalry soldier, and take it back home, long before we could approach their lines to recover them.

I'd rather try something like that if we were losing the artillery battle, but right now we have effective counterbattery artillery and seem to be doing just fine with how it is.  That's a good way to change it up, but lets keep that in reserve if they continue to up their artillery.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 03, 2017, 03:33:51 pm »

Your ballista enchantments and wands do not work in your antimagic field, but resume function once the field is gone.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 03, 2017, 03:34:11 pm »

If this year goes badly for us on the artillery front, THEN we break out the antimagic projectiles. And if they work for, say a day at most, then not only should we be able to make them fairly cheap (Since they only need to turn on once and then stay active for, heck, just 12 hours would work great as well), they'll also be useless to the enemy. Especially if all our enemies die because of a lack of artillery.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 03, 2017, 03:48:21 pm »

I've been wanting to shoot  antimagic at them for a while. I don't think there's any more chance of them gaining the staff this way than there is of killing a mage leading a charge then stealing it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 03, 2017, 03:50:06 pm »

I've been wanting to shoot  antimagic at them for a while. I don't think there's any more chance of them gaining the staff this way than there is of killing a mage leading a charge then stealing it.

I know they gave us a martyr straight up trying to do that through order.  I don't think they have a staff.

And really, we'd be throwing staffs at them.  Of course there's more chance of them getting it that way.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 217