Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188867 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1230 on: April 30, 2017, 09:34:41 am »

The galestone part is free, though. We already have the tech.
The cost of galestones is already cheap, so we don't have to worry about that feature increasing the cost either.
And I'm thinking, what happens if we roll a 6? Gotta give the GM a hook for bonus features, you know? We might accidentally increase the strength of the wind-explosion, is what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:36:40 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 30, 2017, 09:44:36 am »

It's possible. Maybe if evicted chimes in about it. Otherwise, everything we can do to reduce cost, to reduce complexity.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:02 am »

Since the other side has cannons should we instead look to design our own? While we currently have the advantage they have a weapon that has far more room to grow in power and effectiveness than ours and we will have to make one once we hit the limit of what torsion weapons can give us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 30, 2017, 09:48:53 am »

No. We've got the advantage. They've got crappy, basic cannons of magical sort. We've got torsion artillery. Let's work on these projectiles, THEN consider enchanting ballistae.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 30, 2017, 09:51:35 am »

Since the other side has cannons should we instead look to design our own? While we currently have the advantage they have a weapon that has far more room to grow in power and effectiveness than ours and we will have to make one once we hit the limit of what torsion weapons can give us.
Mm... I doubt their cannons are actually, you know, gunpowder-based cannons. I suspect they involve some sort of fire magic, which we have no experience with. So we'd have a hard time emulating them.
Yeah, they have room to grow... but our artillery is already nigh-perfect. I mean, we're using it to snipe individual commanders and mages. They have a lot of catching up to do, especially if we use wind magic to increase the range of our ballistae. If they really do manage to outrange us considerably, we can do like Madman suggests and develop catapults. If they manage to design an accurate cannon with significantly longer range than a catapult in the 10th century, whose barrel doesn't explode after three shots, then... we get our Arstotzkan slaves prisoners to get to work in the salt mines, because we will need industrial quantities.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:57 am »

We know that they're not regular cannons. They're based on steam, somehow. Because lolphysicsnope or something similarly stupid.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:07 am »

Precognitive Rings: (1) Devastator.  {Although Nuke9.13's idea sounds similar}
Blast of Wind: (0)
Zapstones: (1) Egan_BW.
Firestorm Shells (2): Taricus, Happerry
  Flammable payload only: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman198237, S34N1C
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 30, 2017, 10:15:44 am »

Ok so an idea i have been thinking about, would it be posible to creat a spell or enchantment that instantly transmute say a stone into air of equal mass causing explosive decomposition since the new pockets of air will be far more denser than the air around it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 30, 2017, 10:31:16 am »

Possible? Probably. Practical? No. You'd have to actually produce a lot more air than that, I think, to produce a sufficiently deadly blast to bother.
Remember, we're very limited. Do the best we can, not do as much as we can.

Oh, and I think you're thinking of "explosive decompression" which involves a vacuum and a small space filled with air, not a space filled with more air and a space filled with less.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:44 am »

since explosives is just a chemical reaction that turns the substance into gas and heat so i figured that if we created a spell that converted things to their equall mass of air that is should have a similar effect to explosives. I don't expect it to be as effective as say c-4 but i am optimistic it would at least be more powerfull than black powder

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 30, 2017, 11:16:34 am »

Well, the thing is that the blast does increase pressure, but it also creates a blast of heat, explodes in a spread pattern, etc. We don't want to go messing with roads we aren't sure about. Let's just focus on our present abilities without branching out there yet. One possibility, for example, might be changing air pressure. If you can change it right, you could make it hard for the enemies to keep focused (Minor oxygen deprivation due to lowered air pressure) knock them out (15 psi blast will knock somebody unconscious), or strategically suffocate their commanders. All based on our prior knowledge of wind/moving air. But that's probably not an issue yet. We'll try next turn, I hope.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 30, 2017, 11:59:53 am »

Ok so an idea i have been thinking about, would it be posible to creat a spell or enchantment that instantly transmute say a stone into air of equal mass causing explosive decomposition since the new pockets of air will be far more denser than the air around it.

That wouldn't work because air is compressable.  It would at best cause a noise, but wouldn't damage anyone.  You can cause some damage due to cavitation in incompressable water, but in this case it wouldn't be that effective.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 30, 2017, 01:15:54 pm »

Flammable payload only: (3) NUKE9.13, Madman198237, Detoxicated

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:17:40 pm by Detoxicated »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 30, 2017, 01:21:00 pm »

Flammable payload only: (4) NUKE9.13, Madman198237, Detoxicated, Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 30, 2017, 01:35:27 pm »

According to some simple napkin math if we were to convert a liter of water to air, assuming that the process is instant and the air is compressed to the same volume as the water. The new air that is created would be of around 12.5k psi

Edit: forgot to put in my equation.
P1:pressure of air at sea level in psi
V1: volume of 1 kg of air in m^3
V2:1 liter of water in m^3
P2: the initial pressure of the created air
p2=p1*(v1/v2)
P2= 14.7*(.85/.001)
P2=12497 psi
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:44:45 pm by Khang36 »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 217