Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199536 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2017, 11:10:49 pm »

Their fellow soldiers get incredibly upset by this, screaming in their filthy gutter language about 'realism' and 'faraday cages', as though their feeble science could protect them from the wrath of Allah. 
Heh

What about the usage of  larger shields?  If combined with the right doctrine, it would provide for better missile protection, and would help against cavalry charges.
I think we could revise our bucklers to be bigger

My vote I to finally make Bodkin arrows. Their armor has been a problem for far too long
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:39 pm »

I see your point, but we can't use the arrows if we lose our archers. Furthermore, one of our biggest problems is a lack of good armor for all of our troops.  Maybe transitioning over to something heavier would be beneficial. We don't have to keep layers loose anymore due to the  Frost Tower, so if we were to create a  set  of Lamellar armor (linked metal platelets), it would bolster our troop  survival rates considerably. Lamellar is far less restrictive than scale armor, allowing for quicker movements among our general troops.  In addition,  padded armor can  still be used, serving as an under-layer for Lamelar.  This not only allows for two layers of protection, it also enables versatility in hotter areas, as one could simply take the Lamellar off.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:26:30 am by Mardent23 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2017, 11:19:43 pm »

Bodkins don't penetrate plate armour. It'd be worthless to try them now that they have plate everywhere. We could try applying magic to the arrowheads however.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:19 pm »

New result above.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:29:04 pm by Mardent23 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:01 pm »

Bodkins don't penetrate plate armour. It'd be worthless to try them now that they have plate everywhere. We could try applying magic to the arrowheads however.

Our arrows can't penetrate except at point-blank, but with mass volleys coming down on their heads it's not hard for a few to find their way into gaps and eyeslits.

our existing non-bodkin arrowheads can penetrate at point-blank range.  armour-piercing arrowheads are worth trying.

I'd also be worried about magic arrows not working in antimagic.

Steel Bodkin Arrows for design phase.

If you must not have that, how about some improved armor instead?  Or another anti-armor weapon?  The only thing I'm sure of is that we need something that isn't magical to go with our antimagic.  We can do some fresh magic next turn.

If we must go with a magical solution, how about wands that summon acid?  Acid bolts might be more controllable than lightning, and should be workable at sea.  Just don't spit into the wind.

Plus, well, we have wand magic.  Maybe we can use wands for fabrication of gear, so that we can make superior artifacts from it, with the wands safe at home, and don't have to worry about antimagic screwing it up.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:23:23 am by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:30 am »

I've written out the combat report to explain how equipment is affecting the battle and why things play out the way they do.  This should give you a better understanding of how your designs are being used and how they're working against the enemy's.  I've also included a section detailing the theatre commanders wishlist - what he would like to see developed or fixed.  Take it with a grain of salt; it's simply the point of view from the boots on the ground.  I also tweaked the equipment and spell list to look nicer.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:34 am »

Re-reading it, to put it short, we need decent armor and a weapon that can beat (or give decent odds against) their armor.

Still want the arrows, as it's used by both our infantry and cavalry, and it's not magical so it isn't negated under antimagic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:55:01 am by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 20, 2017, 12:29:35 am »

Also, are we missing the entry for the spell that temporarily burns out mages but negates temporary spells?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 20, 2017, 03:40:36 am »

Alright. Alright.

That's debatable. There are enough studies that suggest that they might be able to that we could justify it working. And as we keep mentioning, their plate armour is not top-of-the-line stuff forged by master smiths over the course of several years, it's cheap stuff made by apprentices in under a week. If bodkin arrows can pierce any plate armour (which they can), they can pierce theirs.

But I think bodkin arrows would work as a revision. It's just a different shaped arrowhead made of harder steel.
But I want to make our anti-magic wands this revision. Hmm.
And I want to make cheaper armour.
Eh. Actually, we have plenty of troops. A few of them dying is not so big a concern as them failing to kill the enemy.

Okay. Okay. How about this: Wands of Tubikh Rrahim for our design (or possibly a revision instead of a design), bodkin arrows for our revision.
Long Live United Forenia!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 20, 2017, 07:07:32 am »

What about Tubikh Rrahim amulets for the troops. they would require less training to use, and would passively generate an anti-magic field. Each amulet would be connected to the other, forming a larger network.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:15 am »

It was explicitly stated that a wand's surface area was not enough, so putting it on an amulet isn't going to work. Thus I suggest designing a Staff of Tubikh Rrahim.

I'm all for bodkins as a revision. Have been for a while, but this turn proves that it is by far the easiest thing we can do to help counter their armour.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2017, 07:41:23 am »

It was explicitly stated that a wand's surface area was not enough, so putting it on an amulet isn't going to work. Thus I suggest designing a Staff of Tubikh Rrahim.
Right, yes, that's what I meant. +1 to Staff of Tubikh Rrahim
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 20, 2017, 07:43:58 am »

What for?  Armor would be useful, and we might be supposed to have the version that can be cast on the move already.  At least wait for the GM to confirm that first.

We need a weapon and we need armor.  Please use the design for one or the other, not something that also could well be done with a revision.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:46:00 am by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 20, 2017, 07:53:34 am »

What are you talking about?  Tubikh Rrahim has always been an immobile spell.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:18 am »

Here's the original description of it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163276.msg7418569#msg7418569

That doesn't sound immobile.  I think there was mention in later turns about mages being able to carry it along with them, ready for use.  It was the kind that did enchantments that was immobile.  That version above did get revised so that it only burned out mages for a month.

Nah, you're right, the second design http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163276.msg7424177#msg7424177, says still immobile, so it was always immobile.

Here's our orders for the previous turns:

Last turn: (922)  Design Tubikh Rrahim.  Revise Tubikh Rrahim.

Previous turn: (921)  Design Tubikh Rrahim.  Revise Tubikh Rrahim.  Expense chit on Storm Strike.

Turn before that:  (920)  Design Tubikh Rrahim.  Revise Tubikh Rrahim.

Turn before that:  (919) Theoretical anti-magic.  Revise Spear of Allah.

Seriously, please, please PLEASE stop doing the exact same thing every turn!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:05:54 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 217