Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199361 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2017, 05:12:54 pm »

Change from Dispel Magic to Theoretical Anti-Magic.

Vote Yea on Give up Mountains.
+1, I'm not going to stand on a sinkin' ship.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2017, 05:14:53 pm »

Quote from: Vote Tally
Terramancy [2]: SMMI, S34N1C
Theoretical Anti-Magic [4]: NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Sosoku234, crazyabe
Summon Pegsus [1]:Devastator

Order: Give Up Mountains
Yea [4]: NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Sosoku234, crazyabe
Nay [1]: SMMI

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2017, 09:05:06 pm »

Design: Theoretical Method of Inducing Anti-Magical Properties. [2, 1-1, 4-1]
The newest weapon in Moskurg's arsenal is perhaps the most dangerous one you've ever crafted - it's knowledge.

Well, theoretical knowledge, anyways.

Your mages lock themselves away for the better part of the year, studying all their notes and pouring over the texts of anything they can find that even remotely mentions magic.  The spellbook mentions another book that discusses anti-magic, but where you can find it is entirely unknown.  Still, that doesn't stop them from tearing the palace library apart in a desperate search for anything that might hint towards its existence.  After months of reading, the only book they can that even hints towards feats of magic is our Holy Book - the Word of God.

It's definitely heretical.

But progress must be made, so you lock your doors, bar the windows, light the candles, and get to work studying the holy texts.  There's a lot of theory involved, and numerous translation errors that require days of careful analysis, but you think you've discovered a way to invoke the name of Allah in such a way as to still the...let's say more unapproved applications of magic (i.e. Arstotzkan magic).  It requires numerous, lengthy prayers, a sacrifice, and must be performed at a specific time with the right combination of incense and ceremonial robes.  Furthermore, it would be something that only the most devoted could cast - only those who have been touched by the Light of Allah could even hope to perform this miracle (i.e. al-Mutriqa).  According to the scriptures, such a spell would be able to temporarily forbid the manipulation of reality in an entire area for a short amount of time...maybe.  You don't dare attempt this magic.  Not yet, at least.  There's clearly much more to learn, further lessons that can be gained from these ancient, holy words.

But with the knowledge you've gained here, you feel as though you're close to a breakthrough of some kind.  It's like a giant puzzle, missing only a few critical pieces to link it all together.  If only you had more time...
National Effort

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:35 pm »

How about instead of abandoning the mountains, we just decrease the amount of troops we send in these death missions?

Order: Slow the assault: Cut the amount of attacks we attempt in the mountains in half
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:57 pm »

"Sir, we are expecting a lot of loses during this next invasion."

"Hmmm...cut the amount of troops we send by half.  I took a highschool algebra class, that'll reduce our expected casualties by at least 50%."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »

We could just redirect them into invading the Tundra.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2017, 12:28:26 am »

+1 to leaving the mountains.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2017, 12:57:05 am »

Guys, I just had an idea. What limits us to using our Detect Thoughts wands on mortals?

Ideas for future turns:
Avatars: By using a Detect Thought wand to achieve a direct mental link to Allah, a mage can completely surrender his mind to His will, effectively becoming possessed by Him. In addition to, y'know, having physical avatars of our god walking around on the battlefield, Avatars will be able to greatly improve long-range communication- since Allah is one being, what one Avatar knows, all of them do. Hence, one can tell important information to an Avatar on one side of the continent and have another Avatar relay the information to commanders on the other side.

Improved Divine Spellcasting: Due to Detect Thoughts wands enabling us to obtain a better understanding of Allah (and the divine in general), all divinity/divine-related projects and spells have their costs reduced by one when used/created/cast/whatever by a bearer of a Detect Thoughts wand (that isn't currently using it on non-Allah beings (or his angels, I suppose), of course).

Improved Spear of Allah: Instead of commanding lightning to do our bidding, our mages will use Detect Thoughts wands to implant suggestions in the "minds" of storms and lightning. In addition to greatly reducing the risk of our own mages being fried (because the storm will 'think" that it came up with the idea to strike that guy over there with lightning itself), this could be used to cause a storm to autonomously go to places/do things that we desire (i.e. plant a suggestion to "fly over to Screwedville and fry anybody there who is wearing a suit, then do the same in Doomedland, etc. etc. (worded in a less demanding and more "natural" way, of course)).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2017, 01:13:18 am »

Alright. Now to finally fix SoA.

Improved targeting for Spear of Allah: By firing a small magic 'marker' at the target, we establish a link with the clouds above through which lightning can flow. This greatly improves the accuracy of the Spear.

And whilst we're at it, let's use our credit to reduce the cost.

Vote to Improve SoA and Reduce cost of SoA
Long Live United Forenia!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2017, 01:56:15 am »

Alright. Now to finally fix SoA.

Improved targeting for Spear of Allah: By firing a small magic 'marker' at the target, we establish a link with the clouds above through which lightning can flow. This greatly improves the accuracy of the Spear.

And whilst we're at it, let's use our credit to reduce the cost.

Vote to Improve SoA and Reduce cost of SoA
I don't think that the problem with Spear of Allah is the ability of the lightning to find its targets- it's that it doesn't like being commanded.

Just wondering, did you post this before or afters reading my spell ideas?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2017, 02:11:44 am »

Bodkin Arrows.

Our best weapon is our horse archers with their recurve bows.  Their best weapon is their heavy armor.  Lets make our best weapon, carried on all our troops, effective against their best weapon.

It should be helpful during all phases of combat, and it should be helpful in every region.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:52:45 am by Devastator »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2017, 02:53:38 am »

I don't think that the problem with Spear of Allah is the ability of the lightning to find its targets- it's that it doesn't like being commanded.
As a pious Moskurger, I obviously believe that the storm is a manifestation of Allah, and we can do nothing with it without his blessing.
As a 21st century atheist, I think lightning doesn't actually care, and the lack of accuracy is caused by a failure on our part to properly guide it to its destination. What we need is to pre-ionise the air between the clouds and the target, which we should be able to do with some simple magic.

Just wondering, did you post this before or afters reading my spell ideas?
I've been suggesting improved targeting for SoA for a while. I was just posting from my phone, so I didn't respond to your ideas. Let me do so now:

Avatars: By using a Detect Thought wand to achieve a direct mental link to Allah, a mage can completely surrender his mind to His will, effectively becoming possessed by Him. In addition to, y'know, having physical avatars of our god walking around on the battlefield, Avatars will be able to greatly improve long-range communication- since Allah is one being, what one Avatar knows, all of them do. Hence, one can tell important information to an Avatar on one side of the continent and have another Avatar relay the information to commanders on the other side.
That sounds hella heretical. Plus, I'm not sure it would work. Allah is in all things already. Mankind is already an (imperfect) reflection of His being. In a sense, we already are physical avatars of Allah.
That being said, it's worth looking into. It may not have the exact effects you're looking for, but Divine Magic could be an interesting path to go down.

Improved Divine Spellcasting: Due to Detect Thoughts wands enabling us to obtain a better understanding of Allah (and the divine in general), all divinity/divine-related projects and spells have their costs reduced by one when used/created/cast/whatever by a bearer of a Detect Thoughts wand (that isn't currently using it on non-Allah beings (or his angels, I suppose), of course).
Hella heretical still, but if there is some sort of divine energy we can tap into to enhance spellcasting, that would be useful (I imagine that, for balance reasons, said 'divine' energy would be non-denominational, so that Arstotzkans could also use it. Our religion actually being literally true would be somewhat OP, I feel)

Improved Spear of Allah: Instead of commanding lightning to do our bidding, our mages will use Detect Thoughts wands to implant suggestions in the "minds" of storms and lightning. In addition to greatly reducing the risk of our own mages being fried (because the storm will 'think" that it came up with the idea to strike that guy over there with lightning itself), this could be used to cause a storm to autonomously go to places/do things that we desire (i.e. plant a suggestion to "fly over to Screwedville and fry anybody there who is wearing a suit, then do the same in Doomedland, etc. etc. (worded in a less demanding and more "natural" way, of course)).
The primary problem with this line of development is that, whether it is possible or not, Detect Thoughts is designed to work on humans. Making it work on divinity, or the 'minds' of natural phenomena, would almost certainly require a design, not a revision. I think a more mundane way of increasing the accuracy of SoA would be easier to pull off.

How about instead of abandoning the mountains, we just decrease the amount of troops we send in these death missions?

Order: Slow the assault: Cut the amount of attacks we attempt in the mountains in half
That'll just guarantee they fail. We'd be throwing them away even more than before. No, it's all or nothing.

We could just redirect them into invading the Tundra.
Not until we have spells or weapons that are specifically designed to help us invade it. At the moment, their home territory advantage is too stronk.

Bodkin Arrows.

Our best weapon is our horse archers with their recurve bows.  Their best weapon is their heavy armor.  Lets make our best weapon, carried on all our troops, effective against their best weapon.

It should be helpful when skirmishing, and it should be helpful in pressed battles.
I mean, yeah, we definitely should revise our arrows to be armour-piercing at some point. But the potential of SoA to take out commanders and mages, whilst also improving our offence against heavily-armoured troops (especially if we make it cheaper) tips it in SoA's favour for me.
If we had two revisions, I'd do both.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2017, 03:00:58 am »

I approve of Improved Spear of Allah

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2017, 03:31:46 am »

I mean, yeah, we definitely should revise our arrows to be armour-piercing at some point. But the potential of SoA to take out commanders and mages, whilst also improving our offence against heavily-armoured troops (especially if we make it cheaper) tips it in SoA's favour for me.

I would also do both if we had two revisions.  But I have to go with the improvement that everyone can use, not one only usable by mages, as they seem to do the same thing.  Both of them can kill commanders and mages.  Both of them can kill heavily armored soldiers.  I want all of our soldiers able to deal with them, not just a few.

The arrows are also a mundane weapon, which gives us a +1 to the roll.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:40:04 am by Devastator »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 06, 2017, 06:41:45 am »

I would also do both if we had two revisions.  But I have to go with the improvement that everyone can use, not one only usable by mages, as they seem to do the same thing.  Both of them can kill commanders and mages.  Both of them can kill heavily armored soldiers.  I want all of our soldiers able to deal with them, not just a few.

The arrows are also a mundane weapon, which gives us a +1 to the roll.
Our archers aren't really accurate enough to reliably take out specific targets.
Yes, not everyone can use magic. But those that can are worth a dozen men that can't, at least. Magic is like artillery; you don't need every soldier to have one for it to rule the battlefield.
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that we get a +1 to mundane weapons. That hasn't been the case in the past.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 217