Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199408 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #555 on: April 11, 2017, 07:51:34 am »

If the problem is a lack of mages, we should use our experience with mind magic to try to design teaching spells.

Anyway, I'll vote to revise Tubikh Rrahin to not burn out our mages.
+1 it is important to delve deeper into mind magic and teaching spells can become a boon to our entire army if Applied right

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:40 am »

How do people feel about upping the cost of Tubikh Rrahim to Expensive to make revision easier?
A reminder that apprentices can still cast Expensive spells, only not so often- and since they can hold it for up to a day, they don't have to cast it that often.
Quote from: First post in core thread
An apprentice can fire off several normal spells and maybe one expensive spell in a fight
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:30 am »

Well, if we can make it selective the next turn with it being unexpensive we can utterly nullify their magic whilst still having ours.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 11, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »

Well, if we can make it selective the next turn with it being unexpensive we can utterly nullify their magic whilst still having ours.
As such there's no way we'd actually get that.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2017, 06:19:08 pm »

+1 to the burnout-less revision.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:15 pm »

Revision: Tubikh Rrahin [2]

It appears we were mistaken with an earlier assumption while developing Tubikh Rrahin.  Originally it seemed the cost for temporarily ceasing all use of magic in an area was the requirement that the caster be forever barred from casting for the remainder of his days.  After some careful examination of the section of text in the Holy Book concerning "witchery" and "heretical magicks" it became clear this is not the case, but instead the fault of a rather...poor translation.

After modifying the holy prayers our mages go through before casting we're relieved to find that it no longer permanently seals away the divine light that grants them the ability to cast.  After casting, the user must go through a day of rest before he can cast at all, and another period of solitude and holy prayer before he can cast this divine magic again.

The area of effect is still rather small, and it still keeps any user inside the radius from using magic - including our own mages.  It will likely not dispel enchanted items, or spells cast outside of the sphere of influence.  With these flaws in mind, our commanders have asked whether or not they should employ this new spell on the battlefield just yet, or if it'd be more prudent to keep the spell secret until it can be refined further.  If used, it will give us an advantage in certain, specific circumstances, but will reveal to the enemy the nature of our research these past two years without an adequately powerful weapon to show for it.  However, refraining from use will mean we go another year without a new weapon to keep pace with the enemy. 

Should we use the spell this year? 

What to spend the expense credit on?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2017, 10:13:00 pm »

Bleh, a bad roll...

Let's keep it secret another year, spend next year's design on something else, and then the revision on increasing the area of it's effect?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2017, 10:44:56 pm »

(# of years since Moskurg has fielded something useful = 4)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:44 am »

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to do the battle phase tomorrow night.  I'm getting some...really weird results after adding in the results for the design phase.

Due to the way counters work in Iituems game engine, it actually looks like improving a skill the enemy has a counter against will hurt your side.

Obviously, that's not fair to spend a turn improving an asset of your army and be punished for it.  I'll need some more time to go through the code and figure out what would be an appropriate change, but it's late and I'm tired.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 12, 2017, 02:08:03 am »

Hmm.
Hmmmmmm.
I would've argued that it could still be effective in its current form, but the lack of dispelling pre-existing spells is a real issue. That and the fact that it isn't remotely selective means that, yeah, unfortunately, we should hold this one in reserve.
Now is the Arstotzkans' turn to wonder WTF we are doing with our turns.

(# of years since Moskurg has fielded something useful = 4)
Has it really been that long?
...hmm, no, we developed Naval Weather Mages three years ago. That was useful.
And the year before that we developed horses and lances.
We've only had two years with absolutely nothing to show for it.
...which still sucks.

For our expense credit, should we consider spending it on our medium armour? Being able to equip all our troops with it wouldn't give as big a bonus as their platemail, but it would still give us a substantial bonus.

Apropos of nothing, I was thinking; a good end to this game might be to cast two world-changing spells; one that permanently dispels all magic forever, and another that moves the entire island continent of Forenia to the south pacific (whilst inverting it at the same time). Making it canonically part of the original Arms Race.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 12, 2017, 06:39:28 am »

Yeah, we should probably keep it secret.

Regarding the Expense credit though, I think we should spend it on Storm Strike (If that's possible). This will drop it to Expensive, meaning we will in theory be able to cast it with Apprentices. This will then cause Hammer of Allah to be Expensive too, as it's locked to Storm Strike. Thus we can circumvent Spear of Allah's targeting issues by just bombarding everything with lightning.

Quote from: Vote Tally
Keep it Secret?
Yes [3] - Happery, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk
No [-] -

Expense Credit?
Scale Mail [1] - NUKE9.13
Storm Strike [1] - Kashyyk
Save it [-] -

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 12, 2017, 07:44:23 am »

+1 to keep it secret.

+1 to expense credit on scale mail.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 12, 2017, 12:12:16 pm »

I'm with Kashyyk: Spend the expense credit on Storm Strike. No need to worry about sniping if we're just calling down ALL THE THUNDER
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:27 pm »

Hmm. I guess. It just feels kinda weird to make it cheaper, since we don't need to cast the actual spell Storm Strike more than once a battle. But evictedSaint did say that HoA's cost was tied to it...
:/
Just to confirm, evictedSaint, making Storm Strike cheaper will also make HoA (and SoA) cheaper, right?
If so, I'll go with that, if only to break the tie.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »

Expense level is tied to who can cast it.  Apprentices can do primarily cheap spells, wizards can do primarily Expensive spells, groups of wizards are required for Very Expensive, and al-Mutriqa is the only one who can do National Effort spells.

Lowering Storm Strike to Expensive will also lower HoA and SoA, since it frees up more mages for casting.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:38:52 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 217