Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199321 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:44 am »

Quote from: Vote Tally
Terramancy [2]: SMMI, S34N1C
Dispel Magic [2]: Kashyyk, Sosoku234
Creature of the Storm [1]: NUKE9.13

NUKE9.13: If we were to specifically research some sort of "Craft Sentience" theory first, I'd be more inclined to go for elemental summons. We've got enough of an advantage that I think we can afford to spend a design action to prep for later summon spells. Unless other people feel there's benefit to this though, I'm not going to bloat the Vote tally with it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:40 am »

Hmm. Can we do that?
evictedSaint: Can we research 'magic theory' instead of a specific spell, and get less of a penalty on the rolls for delving into a new school of magic?

Because if so, I'd actually prefer to research Theoretical Anti-Magic, in preparation for researching dispel next year- I love me some counterspells, but I worry that the penalties on researching one would be astronomical.
Long Live United Forenia!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2017, 08:12:58 am »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 05, 2017, 09:34:01 am »

So, we want a decisive victory in the Jungle. I believe Terramancy will get us that victory. It'll let us cause damage to their fortifications in a more reliable manner while also allowing us to clear out their caltrops with relative ease, in addition to helping with our own infrastructure development. We get it set up properly and it'll push multiple fronts at once.

Dispel Magic is definitely something we should invest in, but I believe we should get something to make them stumble first before investing resources into it, as it's going to be the most complex thing we've invested into. If we get it wrong without them being offbalance first, we'll be the ones who start stumbling backwards.

If I'm understanding it correctly, SoA is tied directly to Storm Strike for Expense, so if we use an Expense Credit in Storm Strike, SoA will also go down in Expense.

Dispel Magic [3]: Kashyyk, Sosoku234, crazyabe
Creature of the Storm [1]: NUKE9.13

Order: Give Up Mountains
Yea [1]: NUKE9.13
Nay [1]: SMMI

If we don't do Terramancy then an Order to set up Defensive Lines rather than keep pushing in to get slaughtered would be something that I'd vote for.

Recommendation of Process for the Future:
1. Suggest Designs/Redesigns/Orders.
2. Vote on Design Action. Get results.
3a. Suggest New Redesigns.
3b. Vote on Redesign Action. Get results.
4a. Suggest New Orders.
4b. Vote on Orders. Get results.

This will let us focus on talking about a few things at a time and make sure that all suggestions for actions are acknowledged at the least. Plus it'll let us know what we're working with before making Order attempts.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 05, 2017, 09:43:57 am »

To clarify, ambitious rolls have a penalty to expense and bugs.  Furthermore, a game-changing mega super weapon won't appear in one turn, regardless of how well you roll (unless you have every single prerequisit tech leading up to it, and even that requires luck).

Remember, it took a design and two revisions to get Gust of Wind to this point, and a design and two revision to get Storm Strike (not to mention the designs and revisions to get the Hammer and Spear (which your wizards still refuse to use, btw)).

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 05, 2017, 09:54:06 am »

To clarify, ambitious rolls have a penalty to expense and bugs.  Furthermore, a game-changing mega super weapon won't appear in one turn, regardless of how well you roll (unless you have every single prerequisit tech leading up to it, and even that requires luck).

Remember, it took a design and two revisions to get Gust of Wind to this point, and a design and two revision to get Storm Strike (not to mention the designs and revisions to get the Hammer and Spear (which your wizards still refuse to use, btw)).
So can we deliberately do just theoretical research to get less of a penalty?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 05, 2017, 09:56:29 am »

Yes, you can spend a design building up knowledge to get a bonus to future designs. You would produce no new designs this turn, but you'd get a bonus to your roll for your deliberately non-ambituous design phase.

I would essentially treat it as two design phases on a single spell.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 05, 2017, 10:04:36 am »

Right, in that case, my vote goes to

Theoretical Anti-Magic: The 'you may also like' section of the Divination Spellbook mentions the existence of 'anti-magic', magical means of dispelling magical effects. By analysing what makes spells fail (something we have ample practice with), we can try to isolate the nature of this new sphere. We would not be so ambitious as to try to create a working counterspell, but we can assemble a corpus of knowledge that will help us develop one in the future.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 05, 2017, 11:04:59 am »

We don't concede the mountains. Even if we don't make progress we prevent the enemy from marching on the desert.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 05, 2017, 11:20:39 am »

Arstotzka wont advance on the desert unless their commanders make the decision to advance there.  If they do, then battles will occur in the desert (where you have the advantage).

Similarly, Moskurg wont push north past the plains unless you make the call to advance.

Conceeding the mountains allows you to dedicate those assault troops elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:22:12 am by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 05, 2017, 11:33:16 am »

Conceeding the mountains allows you to dedicate those assault troops elsewhere.
Ayup. And since Arstotzka isn't losing troops defending the mountains, we have literally no reason to keep assaulting them. Beef up our forces in the jungle instead.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:43 pm »

Dispel Magic [2]: Sosoku234, crazyabe
Theoretical Anti-Magic [2]: NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

Order: Give Up Mountains
Yea [2]: NUKE9.13, Kashyyk
Nay [1]: SMMI

It's going to be a hard spell to get right, so we'll need all the bonuses we can get.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 05, 2017, 12:45:36 pm »

Have I mentioned I really like how you guys keep your votes tallied?  Really helpful

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 05, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

I think we could do Summon Pegasi for a design and Bodkin Arrows for a revision.  Or design on bodkin arrows.  Or summon something like a lizard or a bird for scouting (and as a runup to a pegasus), as that would be very useful with the thought relay, as animals don't think much and they won't be looking out for animals.  With them, starting the invasion of the tundra might win the war outright, and the eternal height advantage for our archers would be immensely useful.  Piercing arrows would also be greatly helpful in organized battle.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »

Change from Dispel Magic to Theoretical Anti-Magic.

Vote Yea on Give up Mountains.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 217