Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199650 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2640 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:28 pm »

Hurricane Shield
Lightning Cannon: (1) Happerry
    With Research Credit: (1) Happerry
Landship
Winds of Ruin: (3) Madman198237, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
    With Research Credit: (3) Madman198237, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
Shield of Allah
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: June 29, 2017, 06:44:58 pm »

Now I'm conflicted,  because I also want the lightning cannon. Although I think shutting down their arty will have more of an effect than trying to catch up at the moment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: June 29, 2017, 06:49:13 pm »

We can catch up AFTER we stop getting our sorry rear ends blasted back to Kingdom Come.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: June 29, 2017, 07:11:17 pm »

Design: Winds of Ruin  [6/1+1, 3/1+1, 1/3+1]

The power of Allah can not be denied! 

Enemy shells have reached a point that is unacceptable.  More and more brave Moskurg soldiers die without any chance of proving their worth on the battlefield.  Clearly, this must be fixed.

Thus comes the Winds of Ruin, the logical application of our vast control over the very air which fills our lungs.  This spell is a powerful, single blast of air that races through the sky like an elemental serpent, coiling and twisting on a mages command.  This blast of wind is powerful enough to send men tumbling through the air, lift horses off their hooves, and even knock over an incredibly heavy ballista!  Though we've yet to test it in battle, our Researcher Priests assure us that it will most definitely be able to stall an enemy shell in mid-air (although probably not send it sailing back).

Unfortunately, the spell takes a bit of time to wind up.  It takes a mage a few seconds to gather up the air pressure necessary to send the wind galloping overhead, and he must begin casting immediately after hearing the distant report of an artillery gun in order to have the wind up and going in time.  Even then, it's quite close and a bit of a toss-up to see if he'll be able to have the Winds of Ruin going in time to stop the shell.

But perhaps most frustrating of all is the accuracy.  Lucky strike doesn't work on the Winds, as it's not actually a projectile, and an incoming artillery shell is very hard to see.  A mage has to start casting immediately, know where the shell is going to land, and hopefully cast the spell in time to stop the shell from hitting.  There'd likely be some success if a mage works in tandem with another mage casting Antichronic Reverbramancy, but the forewarning spell currently has too many problems to be effectively useful in this case (or at all, really).

On the bright side, Winds of Ruin can totally be cast by War Pegasi Riders, assuming they're not inside the wind tunnel.  The spell is effective out to line-of-sight (although it tends to lose power the further out you go).  And the fact that Moskurg's Apprentice Gramary for Inter-magical Competency gives us more Wizard-level mages is very nice, because this spell is merely Expensive.

Design: Winds of Ruin  [6/1, 3/1, 1/3]

The storm has been under our control for decades, but now it's time to give the storm a mind of its own.

The intent of this spell is to impart a mages will onto the very elements of nature itself, which is quite the ambitious goal.  A group of wizards must work together around a carefully-constructed spell circle and focus to make their intent known to the storm and encourage it to work in their favor.  The effect persists as long as the mages cast, and during that time the storm takes on the personality of the mages involved.

The most useful effect of this spell is that it can enforce a small area-wide downdraft via low-pressure areas that pushes Arstotzka's shells downward, potentially decreasing their range by one.  The winds can buffet enemy soldiers, but will let Moskurg soldiers pass through relatively unharmed.  The winds aren't quite strong enough to pick up things on their own, but a Zephyr can be formed  and controlled out to BLOS range.

Unfortunately, some problems occur when you literally give a storm a mind of its own based on a bunch of Wizards standing motionless around a circle for hours and hours on end.  The storm often gets distracted, playing with the leaves of nearby trees or accidentally parting the clouds and forming rainbows every now and then.  Wizards who need to use the bathroom encourage the storm to give torrential downpours on Moskurg troops, while wizards who are hungry encourage thunder to grumble more often than send lightning spiking towards the ground.  This can be alleviated by having the wizards stop every now and then for bathroom breaks and lunch.

As this is Moskurgs very first attempt to give something a mind of its own (on purpose, at least) it's actually quite successful.  The ambitious nature of the spell means it is Very Expensive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:56:18 pm by evictedSaint »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: June 29, 2017, 07:19:00 pm »

No longer important.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:10:51 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: June 29, 2017, 07:29:40 pm »

The spell proposed was Desert Winds on steroids.  It was a proposal for controlled wind straight down(?) that kept their artillery from being able to fire beyond short range and I can't really swing that with this design.  This is the same thing, but it uses controlled blasts of air and isn't constantly going.  It relies on your increased control of elements to work.  In the end, it's a plausible way of stopping their artillery that makes sense based on what spell-tech you currently have that does exactly what you wanted it to.

At least it's not the Haast, amirite?

Fixed to reflect the more ambitious nature of the design.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:39:35 pm by evictedSaint »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »

No longer important.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:11:06 pm by Madman198237 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:15 pm »

I feel like I missed something but hey, as long as we don't have another salt storm I'm perfectly happy with what seems to have resulted.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:47 pm »

I really don't think it was more ambitious, but honestly, I can't fairly ask for another rewrite. This was my communications failure, not eS's.

Anyway, for the revision, tomorrow morning I'll write something up. If we can get a total of -2 to range (Right now, we're applying a -1 to the range of every Arstotzkan cannon) and possibly also make it a bit more reliable, then by using mass numbers of mages we can reduce their average cannonballs to Long range, and their most expensive special ones to Extreme. Meaning that our best enchanted ballista (Extreme) are back in range when they can only reply with their most expensive cannons and cannonballs. Also, our regular ballista/with only Lucky Strike (Long Range capable) will be able to equal the range of their average cannons, instead of being horribly outclassed. In other words: We can go back to frying Arstotzkans with Firestorm shells.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: June 30, 2017, 05:07:05 am »

Hmm. I'm just saying, if we'd just tried to deflect the shells, not stop them in mid air, maybe we wouldn't have had this problem. :/
...mostly kidding.

Anyway.

Important question: can we fly through this new storm? If yes, then I think we should improve our fliers.

Flightsails: When we originally designed the Alsamma Safina, we removed the sails to save weight. Unfortunately, this left the vessel with limited propulsion, leaving it vulnerable to Arstotzka's slow-tracking cannons. Well, we can fix this. Improved construction techniques allow us to install a few small sails without adding too much weight, which combined with the fact that the wind is almost always blowing in our favour means the Alsamma Safina is now capable of a respectable turn of speed- not particularly fast, but fast enough to dodge Arstotzka's cannons.

Alternatively,

Pegasi Envelopment: The height and speed of our Pegasi has been limited for some time not necessarily by the carpets, but by the riders. At higher altitudes, riders find themselves growing increasingly cold and short of breath, whilst at higher speeds, the wind rushing past them threatens to yank them off of the carpet. We can solve both these problems by weaving a new enchantment into the Pegasi- one which envelops the carpet in a sort of 'bubble' of air, which remains still, warm, and breathable at higher altitudes and speeds.
As a result, our Pegasi riders will be able to zoom high across the battlefield, laughing as Arstotzkan snipers try unsuccessfully to take them out, only ever descending in rapid dives to attack Arstotzkan artillery (or other valuable targets)
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: June 30, 2017, 05:21:21 am »

Hmm. I interpreted this design similar to eS did first time around, but I suppose that'll do.

I'd prefer to use the revision to make sure we aren't half-assing this spell, because as it stands it's not going to give it much of an advantage but as eS has pointed out, there are a number of obvious ways to improve it that will help immensely.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: June 30, 2017, 07:08:38 am »

I am pleased that we got the Zephyr to BLOS with this
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:46 am »

Guys, hold up here:

As of right now, when using this spell we are giving the enemy artillery a range "bonus" (Malus) of -1. Which means they're DOUBLE-EXPENSIVE shells can only reach BLOS. They COULD reach BLOS+1 last turn. Giving a malus of -2 (Total, means we add another -1 in the revision) means that they're down to Extreme range, but only with their most expensive shells. This means that we can hit them with our best ballistas, at a range only their best cannons and shells can reach. The REST of their artillery will only reach Long range, which we can match with our average ballistas, as I  recall. We'll have evened out the artillery playing field.

Gusts and Eddies
By empowering the winds that they control, the mages directing our Winds of Ruin can now reduce enemy artillery ranges by a total of 2 range brackets. With any remaining time, the spell is made less...exploratory, and more focused on the goal. Also, it does not respond awkwardly to the wizards' thoughts, and allows wizards to rotate in and out of actually casting the spell.

Regardless of how it happens, we need to add one more bracket of range decrease, and then we'll be killing them again (Lucky strike > barrage fire)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:50 am »

Someone set up a voting box as I'm too lazy to do so. Also we really should make better ballistas eventually
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: June 30, 2017, 08:21:55 am »

Ballistas, according to eS, can't really keep up the range unless we use more magic. Basically, we're going to have to keep developing this accidental new line of magical tech to get the range we need. That or develop catapults.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 217