Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199639 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2610 on: June 28, 2017, 02:28:06 pm »

Because that is 100% harder than just stopping the shells, which is what the Winds spell intends to do---slow them down and stop them.

Quite literally, 100% harder, because, after stopping it entirely, you then have to add in the original velocity. Unless you have a method of causing a perfectly elastic collision with one side remaining perfectly motionless, thus returning the projectile directly back to the cannon from which it came.

That would be hilarious, but what happens when the Arstotzkans realize that their cannons aren't working? They hit us with infantry combat just a turn or so ago, and it hurt. So let's do something that also has offensive capabilities.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 28, 2017, 02:32:09 pm »

Which is what the reflection has; how do you think the Arstotzkans are getting in melee while being pelted by either their own shells or ours?

As for redirecting them with the momentum of the shell remaining the same? That's simple enough with a cyclic wind, just ensure the spell is high enough off the ground so the shells don't hit the ground and detonate and that our troops are far enough back not to be adversely affected by it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 28, 2017, 02:39:09 pm »

I'm just saying: With all our bonuses plus a research credit, we ought to go all-out. Get the best spell possible, then use the revision to make the most use of it. If we need to fix something, power something up, fine.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: June 28, 2017, 02:43:48 pm »

Hence why we go full-out with reflection/redirection. It'd give us a decisive advantage since we can turn the enemy's advantage against him and deprive them of everything but melee.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 28, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »

I understand that. However this also gives us the chance to hit moving targets with something, anything, except for lightning. Not to mention, sending people and things flying is always advantageous.

Simple reflection.....requires some stuff we've not done yet. We've not yet messed with telekinesis or anything, so we won't be sending them back perfectly. The most I can see us managed is a sort of lame half-success where projectiles fly backwards a little bit.

However, for our revision we could try to make Gust of Wind capable of "grabbing" a stalled cannonball from within the storm, before it hits the ground, and sending it back towards the enemy....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »

Well, we still have a chance of hitting moving targets with reflection/redirection, as it uses our existing wind magic to effectively suck up the shell and spit it out back in the general direction of the enemy with no telekinesis necessary.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 28, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »

That'd be my suggestion for a revision. Basically, we're going straight past the Arstotzkans and their blasted 19th-century cannon tech. We're going modern.

With SmartStormsTM

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »

The problem is that getting a wind that's strong enough, and blowing in the right direction is going to be pretty difficult I figure. I doubt our existing wind spells could handle it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 28, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »

This isn't our existing wind spells.

This thing's first purpose is deflecting cannonballs. Everything else is just a bonus.

If anything's going to be capable of directing cannonballs, it's going to be this thing.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 28, 2017, 03:06:20 pm »

I think that so long as the only aim of the spell is to screw with their cannonballs, designing it to redirect them back at the Arstotzkans should be safe. The only logical way to make it worse is to downgrade it to deflection instead.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 28, 2017, 03:12:40 pm »

Personally I doubt that wind alone will be able to muster up the force needed to reflect cannonballs, and and deflecting them isn't going to be much more useful for the same reason that I've stopped suggesting Mirage Shield as an action. They're already using mass barrage fire anyway. It doesn't matter if a shell lands somewhere off from where it was aimed, they're firing so many of them we're still going to get hit with them and that's before they added explosive shells.

Maybe we could make a spell that sets off those gem cores of theirs while the shell is in flight, but I don't think any form of wind shield is going to work at this point.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 28, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »

Then we might as well roll over and die while crying salty tears over how biased the GM is, unless you have a different one-turn solution to the ridiculous cannon power.

I think we need to use what we have bonuses in. You can't exactly counter a storm, after all. Not without being unreasonable. They'd have to catch our storm knowledge and magical strength. We have additional talented mages, so let's make a spell to use them with.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 28, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »

Shield of Allah
We have demonstrated that lightning can be tamed,  to an extent,  by encouraging it to strike  arstotzkans rather than their lightning rods. This modification of both the wand odd thunderbolts and the hammer of Allah instead encourages the lightning to strike the mage gem cores of the arstotzkan cannonballs, and in so doing, overload and detonate them  prematurely. Thus a storm placed between our army andman enemy cannon battery will strike down their shells as they fly,  and our wizards can activate their wands to do the same.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: June 29, 2017, 07:13:30 am »

Alright, well I think we generally agree that we need something to stop their artillery from hitting us, and for that we have two options, some form of madman's windshield, or some form of my lightning shield. What are people's thoughts on either of those?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:41 am »

Electricity won't stop their long-range fire (Meaning we're missing more than half their cannonballs), and it won't stop regular cannonballs. It's not good enough for us. Our best bet is to work with the wind now, because we have so much invested in it. Next turn, we could perhaps try branching out.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 217