Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199599 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2415 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:51 am »

Wands Race now has a discord!

To join, you need to post in the Deployment Zone with your preferred side.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:51 pm »

I mean, the Construction Yard could get us Cheap Airships if we roll well. I cannot think of a single thing they could do to immediately stop that or make it not an effective tactic.

Can anyone think of things against it?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:03 pm »

If they go serious antimagic they could down the things with their newly-improved artillery?

If they take out our lightning advantages the airships will be almost useless, save for Firestorm shells, and the airships can't get close enough to drop those. Basically, airships are COOL, but we need a basis for deploying weapons off of them. These weapons are magical, and happen to consist of lightning.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 15, 2017, 12:35:49 pm »

I mentioned it in the Discord, but I think the crew requirements increase the cost of airships as much as construction does. We just don't have enough mages to crew Expensive airships.
Also, quality is important. As it stands, our airships are of limited use. A revision to increase their speed would likely give better results than making them cheaper.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 15, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »

A potential design that I came up with on the way home:

Post-cognitive Reverbramancy
Our current reverbramancy attempts to predict near future events, worthwhile knowledge but only useful in a tactical setting. By looking in the other direction down the temporal thread, we see not that which is about to happen, but that which already has. Generals must still have strategy meetings before a battle to allocate their troops. Supply officers must still plan logistical routes to keep the army fit. By deciphering the threads woven into the past, we can learn the military decisions an enemy general has made after they are agreed on, but before they are enacted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 15, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »

(3) Zephyr of Allah:Atomic Chicken, NUKE9.13, SMMI
(1) Crystal Solvent: Madman198237

I think that this is the best way too buy ourselves the time we need. We don't have it right now. They could do anything this turn, including unveiling whatever happened last turn. Also, even if this only functions for a single turn, we can ruin them for it. Especially because if their crystals stop working, we know EXACTLY what they'll have to do in order to not lose: Fix their crystals. So we can act based on a known action. We won't even have to spy to know exactly what they're planning!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:48:01 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 15, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »

Quote from: Design Vote Tally
(2) Zephyr of Allah: NUKE9.13, SMMI
(2) Crystal Solvent: Madman198237, AC

All right Madman, you've managed to convince me that your course of action makes more tactical sense. Postponing my Zephyr vote to next turn unless convinced otherwise or something urgent comes up. If anything, it'll probably be easier to extend the range of our staves compared to designing a new spell. I only hope this plan doesn't backfire horribly and leave us stranded with negligible offensive potential (to be fair, this is probably just as likely to happen with bad rolls in the tornado spell).
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 15, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »

(2) Zephyr of Allah: NUKE9.13, SMMI
(3) Crystal Solvent: Madman198237, AC, Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 15, 2017, 02:46:41 pm »

I don't think that spending a design to force them to spend an action on something we know is particularly beneficial. If we could do it with a revision I'd be more inclined, but I have this horrible fear that it'll be just effective enough to work, but simple enough to counter with a revision, which will be a net negative.

(3) Zephyr of Allah: NUKE9.13, SMMI, Kashyyk
(3) Crystal Solvent: Madman198237, AC, Crazyabe

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 15, 2017, 02:55:34 pm »

I...didn't think of that. Well then, breaking the tie again. Sorry Madman.

(4) Zephyr of Allah: NUKE9.13, SMMI, Kashyyk, AC
(2) Crystal Solvent: Madman198237, Crazyabe

How feasible would it be to extend their range in a revision?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:58:53 pm by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 15, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »

No, it's not.

They won't risk a revision to counter it.

We'll be destroying them. They'll almost certainly spend the design, because of the sheer panic involved in "They just killed everybody, because we lost our weapons, armor, cannons, and ships. What now, engineers?" We'll have PERFECT KNOWLEDGE of their actions for the next turn. We do NOT have a tactical or strategic advantage right now. And it's not about extending range of the staves, but rather about invalidating every single piece of equipment the Arstotzkans regularly use. We can keep them on the back foot. We'd literally be taking our divination magics out of the game---know what your enemy will do, know how to beat him when he does.

HOW is the Zephyr going to kill them? CAN we get the same effect with a revision? I'd even say that with two revisions we can make both. Spend the design on the more powerful Crystal Solvent and then revise our winds/Wrath of Allah to include controlled tornadoes.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 15, 2017, 06:12:18 pm »

It seems like Zephyr of Allah is winning.  Unless that changes soon, I'll roll up the design for it.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:38 pm »

There's a bit of debate going on, a new anti-magic design may be going on soon
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 15, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »

Alright, one more hour.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 15, 2017, 07:51:52 pm »

NEW DESIGN:

Combining the best elements of all arguments and discussions so far, this design gives us sustained advantages over many turns, while giving us a basis for one turn of complete victory in the near future. Also, should be easy enough that barring incredible bad rolls, we'll be able to revise adamantine and do something else as well.

Staff of Tinkering
This refined version of a Staff of Tubikh Rrahim is much less shiny, much more stealthy (It's wrapped in a black cloth). It does not glow, nor is it bright white. What it is, however, is practical. Using this staff, an experienced mage can block out magic in a set area without affecting friendly magics (By shaping the antimagic around them, as is done now). The genius, however, is that, with focus, the user can make the bubble of antimagic permanently damage enchantments. Magical enchantments tend to be durable things, surviving periods of time cut off from the magic of the universe. However, this staff draws on cleansing powers drawn from heaven, and damages them. In mostly painful ways, though the effects are hideously random with no guarantees given or expected. The intended targets are the Arstotzkan falcon's gems of antimagic, and the magical batteries they so often use for engines and cannons. The enchantments will not merely fade, but rather they will be changed in unpredictable ways. Even the caster does not know what they might do, only that they won't do what they are supposed to.

This uses the same principles at the Wrath of God design revision, and is less complex than the anti-Crystal design. I'm fairly certain that this can be done in this one design while allowing us to also use the revisions to advance other areas.~~~SMMI, via discord

Basically, this one aims to disable enemy magic as per usual, but have the added fun of disabling enchantments through messing with them. So the next time the mage attempts to charge the battery, it will probably explode.
Or, y'know, turn into a chicken with crystal ribs or something. You never know. It's like having a few hundred copies of Wabbajack, except slightly less random and slightly more Forenian.

(3) Zephyr of Allah: NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, AC
(1) Crystal Solvent: Crazyabe
(2) Staff of Tinkering: Madman198237, SMMI
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:53:30 pm by Madman198237 »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 217