Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199577 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2340 on: June 11, 2017, 02:18:24 am »

Quote from: Votes
(0)Cannon of Allah -
(0)Passive Antichronic Reverbramancy -
(7)Wrath of Allah - NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Madman198237, SMMI, Happerry, S34N1C, AC
(0)Heat from Hell -
(0)Propulsion Tube -
(1)Directed Fury - Crazyabe

Out of curiosity, how heavy is adamantium compared to the wood we're building our airships with?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 11, 2017, 02:20:44 am »

Denser.  It sinks.  Especially because the wood was jungle wood.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 11, 2017, 02:43:28 am »

All right, good to know. Considering how cheap adamantium is, I was going to suggest going for all-metal Alsamma Safinas, but I guess that'll have to wait until we get our lift and propulsion sorted out.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 11, 2017, 02:46:12 am »

If we can propel ships magically, what's to stop us propelling tanks with the same magic?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 11, 2017, 07:30:19 am »

The fact that it's entirely wind-based magic that doesn't necessarily have any sort of ground utility?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 11, 2017, 07:48:57 am »

If we used Taricus's jet engine proposal, I think it would be quite feasible, especially if we did it hovertank style. (Modified carpets that are designed to take extra weight instead of go higher).

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 11, 2017, 08:07:42 am »

I wasn't exactly proposing a jet engine, but sure? :O

We'd need a main gun for said tank though. Or just give it a flamethrower.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:02 am »

We could just use a ballista?

Or if we want to upgrade, how about a lightning cannon, where we use oversized Wands of Thunderbolt as "ammunition"?

It'll need a long, thin, solid barrel to project the lightning in a particular direction (imagine the inverse of a lightning rod), possibly with enchantments to encourage the lightning to go in a straight line rather than weird directions. The mechanism basically consists of a slot to place the wand in and an insulated housing for the cannon so it doesn't electrify the tank or crew. possibly with the additional capability of receiving a magazine of standard sized WoTs, to quickly switch the cannon from anti-vehicle to anti-infantry.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:55 am »

Why use a wand when we could just make it fire either holy fire or thunder? Saves effort on making ammo.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 11, 2017, 10:04:48 am »

Why use a wand when we could just make it fire either holy fire or thunder? Saves effort on making ammo.
Because then the attending mage has to recharge it every shot. Whereas wands can be charged ahead of time, allowing the cannon to be fired more rapidly/with a less skilled mage running it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:35 am »

Unless we had... say, a magical reactor. Or just used holy fire and some bellows.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 11, 2017, 10:10:37 am »

Magical reactor's gonna take up more space than the ammunition would, and besides, what's fuelling the reactor?

I mean, I'm mostly just arguing for the heck of it here, I'm not sure a lightning cannon is a good idea. Better, I think, to go for coilguns.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: June 11, 2017, 11:55:57 am »

Hm... Then I think we need to beat Arstotzka at their cannon game. With smokeless powder!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: June 11, 2017, 03:01:02 pm »

I'd actually prefer to go the fantastic route, rather than making the standard "modern and post-modern tech, but with magic". If I wanted that I'd go over to the intercontinental or interplanetary arms races.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: June 11, 2017, 03:06:49 pm »

Hey, I feel you. But I think you should be telling that to the Arstotzkans. They're deploying modern artillery, we need something to compete with it.
Wait, hang on.

Spear of Allah can't be used at max range at the moment because it requires you to see the target you are hitting. Gosh, if only we had some way of seeing things that are far away. If only our literal starting school could let us do that.

We might not actually need to use artillery. A simple scrying spell + SoA might do the trick.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 217