Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199330 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1965 on: May 25, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »

Yes!  Some good rolls.  Now just try for manipulating the form of summoned adamantium, and we'll have better than steel armor in the place of copper armor, as well as at least having adamantium shields in place of steel-covered pavises.  (and regular armor, but only at Expensive level, I'm assuming.)

Formed Improved Adamantium

Our version of Adamantium that is stronger than steel is merely a theoretical curiosity, as there is no effective method of shaping it.  However, it is produced in a size and shape relatable to man, that of reasonably-sized ingots of metal, similar to many other ingots of refined metal.  As such, it is clearly being created in a form where it is intended to be useful, and it is only our lack of knowledge and failures in piety at fault here.

One possibility is to summon the adamantium into the inside of a restricted area, such as a wooden mold, letting the adamantium fill the mold as it is created.  This should create the adamantium in the desired shape, so long as each individual piece is smaller than the initial ingots.  Notches and holes and such can also be created to allow for the individual pieces to be fastened together.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:42:34 am by Devastator »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: May 26, 2017, 12:22:03 am »

Hmm I was thinking maybe we could pull the material out of the aether as a liquid and imidiately put it in molds. I think it would be easier to pull off, and that way we could argue that all items can be made with that system.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27:52 am »

Hmm I was thinking maybe we could pull the material out of the aether as a liquid and imidiately put it in molds. I think it would be easier to pull off, and that way we could argue that all items can be made with that system.

That's a great idea, assuming that it harders.  However, we might be able to summon it in solid form already inside of a mold, and just break the mold around the metal piece.

..except we don't need clay molds, because adamantium is cool.  We can use reusable wooden molds, making manufacture much easier.  Anyway, rewriting the suggestion to take advantage of that great idea.

Formed Improved Adamantium: (2), Devastator, Detoxicated.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:31:56 am by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 26, 2017, 03:37:17 am »

Personally I'd prefer to get some Copper-Adamantium Pavise shields going to counter their heavy artillery.

Formed Improved Adamantium: (2), Devastator, Detoxicated.
Thick Copper-Adamantium Pavises: (1), Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:10 am »

I don't think a pavise shield will protect our infantry. The shield may survive a hit, but the guy behind will just get struck by the shield instead.

Formed Improved Adamantium: (3), Devastator, Detoxicated, Kashyyk

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: May 26, 2017, 07:11:25 am »

Then do this:

"Plated Pavise Shields:
Our pavises now include large spikes pointing down and at an angle behind, to give four embedded points of contact with the ground. This system will keep the shield in place even when struck with a cannonball. To give them this durability, they are now covered, front and back, with a moderate layer of adamantine, at the hardest level of workability, of coursew. This gives immense survivability, and allows the use of some more of our jungle wood to grant rigidity, while the second layer of adamantine prevents any splinters from striking the users."

Formed Improved Adamantium: (3), Devastator, Detoxicated, Kashyyk
Plated Pavise Shields: (1) Madman198237

Happerry, I'm just going to point out that said shield will deform, and your design has no means of staying put when hit with projectiles.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:05 am »

Formed Improved Adamantium: (4), Devastator, Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Crazyabe
Plated Pavise Shields: (1) Madman198237
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:40 am »

Dangit, rereading the pavise shields they don't have a metal front, they're just thick planks of wood, so it'll need a revision.  The lamellar armor should be improved, however, and hopefully our metal weapons as well, although those are less important.  So we'll need a revision at some point to handle that.  It should probably be after we've got better than copper, though, as copper on the front won't improve things that much.

Of course, our shipyard guys have been spending all their time pounding adamantium plates on top of thick planks of wood, so we might be able to change that with just an order, as nailing adamantium plates on top of thick planks of wood not taken to sea should be very similar.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 26, 2017, 11:49:35 am »

Looks like formed improve adamantium is winning. Unless that changes, ill roll it up

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 26, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »

We need a new name for "Formed Improved Adamatium". We're starting to sound like the Arstotzkans and their "Streamlined Improved Fireballs" or whatever.

Perhaps, instead, call the technique "Magical Molding 101".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:34 pm »

I'm fine with calling it whatever, as after all it doesn't need its own entry on the weapon list, just an edit to the existing list.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 26, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »

Since I'm evidently not going to win, whatever. Just, no Arstotzkan-ish names, please?

We've almost got eS biased towards us for our better names. Don't ruin it now.
;)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 26, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »

Since I'm evidently not going to win, whatever. Just, no Arstotzkan-ish names, please?

We've almost got eS biased towards us for our better names. Don't ruin it now.
;)

I'm fine with changing the name, just not 'Magical Molding' because this technique only really applies to Adamantium.  So Adamantium Molding for this technique?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 26, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »

Magical Metal Molding, then. Or Adamantine Molding. Or we can call it the Forcing-Your-Sorry-Rear-Into-A-Box-Because-Magic spell.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 27, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »

Revision: Formed Improved Adamantium [5]

We fail to conjure the metal in any form other than ingots.

However, we do figure out a method our Researcher Priests refer to as "Divine Metalworking".  By chanting the prayer/spell while smithing inside of a pre-inscribed workshop, our wizards are able to hammer and forge the metal much in the way one could with white-hot iron.  Once the prayer ends and the Adamantium is removed from the holy circles, it once again regains it steel-like hardness. 

It is relatively cheap, relatively light, and impressively strong, although it does require metalsmith work before it can be usable.  We go ahead and upgrade our Sirocco's to use the steel-hard variant rather than the copper-soft variant.  Expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 217