Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199264 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1860 on: May 22, 2017, 09:13:48 pm »

Best not to risk it, since we've not had the best of luck with that in the past.

And if you think it's not design-worthy, allow me to point out the great effect of having storms constantly raining lightning down on their heads. Also, we can power it up in some way while working on it. Perhaps integrating it with cyclone shield from the Storm Strike side of things. But, anyway, if it'd convince you, I can make those changes to the proposal. I think that combining cyclone shield and storm strike together ought to make it possible to, at least temporarily, knock out their cannons. Also, I'd power up Storm Strike so that it becomes too hazardous for falcons to fly simply due to the wind.

That said, we're going to have to work on other ways to deal with their falcons soon.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:03 pm »

Best not to risk it, since we've not had the best of luck with that in the past.

Yes, blowing design phases on revisions has burnt us, a lot, and frequently.  (most recently, LAST TURN.)  So lets not take that risk and play for upsides with our design phases and use revisions on suggestions to improve items.  If we botch the roll designing adamantium, we get experience.  If we botch the roll on a new storm strike, we get nothing at all.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 22, 2017, 09:16:52 pm »

....Not what I meant, and for good reason.
Overreaching leads to things like the Spear of Allah. 50% self-terminating failure rates are a bad thing.

I've explained why I doubt adamantium can help us enough. Also, it's a new field of technology entirely. We might not get workable results this turn.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »

....Not what I meant, and for good reason.

I know it wasn't what you meant, but it is the truth.  Blowing design phases on revisions is a risk, a big one.

And really, the adamantium may not be workable, but even if it's bad we can use it for things like ballista cables or as a useful component to a lot of necessary things.  If we roll well, we get something amazing.

If we roll well on a blizzard-as-design, we get a mild advantage, like if we rolled a six on the revision.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:20:33 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:32 pm »

It's a metal.
It's hard and the entire purpose is not to bend.

And it's going to get used in ballistae cables.

???

If we blow this phase, we might keep bleeding ground. Losing that meteorite is going to HURT. A LOT. I think that repeatedly striking anything metallic with lightning happens to be an EXCELLENT way to discourage the use of metallic objects.
Like plate armor, cannons, and meteor-ore weapons of mass destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 22, 2017, 09:22:39 pm »

It's a metal.
It's hard and the entire purpose is not to bend.

And it's going to get used in ballistae cables.

???

Metals have more than one property.  Hardness, toughness, strength.  Adamantium could probably take more tension before permanent deformation, which would allow for more energy to be stored in a ballista.

It is probably the one application where we'll likely need a revision to introduce it, as we could want a horse-drawn windlass to increase the available power.  I like that for this turn's revision if we do well or mostly botch adamantium, as that should increase the range and power of the artillery.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:26:38 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:26 pm »

If you think that the storm strike can be overhauled in a revision, then go for it.

Hopefully somebody else reads this and comes to a different conclusion. Adamantine should've been done much earlier in the game. It won't work as an "Instant-win" button now.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 22, 2017, 09:27:11 pm »

It's never going to help if it keeps getting voted down in favor of 'More Wind'.  Which we have plenty of, and we know for a fact it has serious limitations.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:12 pm »

It does.

But with the experience we have, we could work on symbiosis between wind spells. It shouldn't take long. But if our carpets can be pushed along by the wind in a storm strike, and cyclone shield can draw on those same winds, and Gust of Wind could work with the same method, it'd power everything up.

All it requires is this design. Speaking of which, I'm going to hunt down and rewrite my proposal. It's going to be to make storm strike all-weather/all-temperature and work with our other spells.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:18 pm »

Good metal is important as they get some of that unholy space metal next turn...

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 22, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »

Would you mind changing your vote?  I'd be willing to go with all-weather storm strike as a revision.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 22, 2017, 11:04:39 pm »

Good metal is important as they get some of that unholy space metal next turn...
Yes, but they only get one action with it.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 22, 2017, 11:09:22 pm »

True but it means they have metal that we dont, adamantium is a mere way to keep up with them...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:02 am »

True but it means they have metal that we dont, adamantium is a mere way to keep up with them...
...There's no 'keeping up with them' involved. They can't replicate said material, so they'll have a single item from it. That single item might need to be countered, but they have no breakthrough that's going to let them do lots of nasty things, the way flight or the idea of artillery is a breakthrough.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 23, 2017, 12:43:13 am »

They get a design with the cost set to one, I'm guessing, as it would make a NE artifact.  Very good, but not quite a full design.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 217