Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199221 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1770 on: May 11, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »

The Alsamma Safina (3): NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry
Adamantium (3): Devastator, Detoxicated, Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 11, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »

Question: why Don't we work on water magic? If we were to make a spell based moderately off gust of wind to propel our ships, and modified it to work on water we could then work next turn on making massive bubbles of blessed air with which to travel under the sea in, Allowing our troops to literally march up to their coast without having to worry about getting their feet wet.
I like this, but the buereaucracy is slow, I think I will support this in the future, for now we must decide if we want to airship or if we want to go adamantium...
Hello guys seeing as cannons are killing our forces and in the desert they can't make trenches. I propose we make some sort of earth shaping spell to allow our forces to be able to quickly put up defencive positions. Idealy i was thinking that they will be able to raise up a wall of stone with a mount of dirt or sand in front of the wall to absorb the impact of their cannons this way not only will it provide cover for our forces it will give cover for our ballistas as well.
I like this as well, also a possible spell to weave into adamantium eventually...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:35:21 pm by Detoxicated »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 11, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »

Whatever.  After giving it some thought, Arstotzka's plant mages can now affect patches of plants in a diameter equal to their height and grow them up to their own height, regardless of the plants type or initial size.  All their boats are now steam ships, because it makes sense that an ordinary wooden boat cost the same with a steam engine on it.  I'm not changing their new artillery piece or nerfing Moskurgs carpets.  I'm tired of arguing. 

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 12, 2017, 02:03:36 am »

War Pegasi - By refining the enchantment and gust of wind that moves the carpet, we increase its stability,  precision and endurance,  increasing operational flight time,  flight ceiling,  manoeuvrability and speed.. The modified enchantment allows the carpet to stayed rolled up,  or become flat and rigid as a board. The flattened version can carry additional passengers as initially designed. The rolled version,  being lighter and more stable, is rideable by an apprentice.

Ambitious I know,  but I believe a good roll will be able to get us this. I would go for adamantium, but I think we're in much greater need of this.  Better to refine each thing in turn rather then produce a load of half finished junk.

We don't have the experience to make an airship that won't suck and be NE.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 12, 2017, 02:18:57 am »

I'm in favor of throwing up two or three pieces of half-finished junk, and then fixing the one that we can use to change the game, or using one of those half-finished pieces to combine with something else for awesome.

Do remember the last game where the endless pursuit of the best machine gun simply meant our previous one was discarded for a slight improvement, rather than something that adds a whole new bonus.  Improved flying carpets could be amazing, but Adamantium would let us mount archers with effective arrows on the carpets, which should help a lot against their snipers and such.  It would also let the pilots wear better armor, which would help against their bomb arrows.

I'm not against improving the flying carpets, but I think that would be best done by proxy.  It's only functional because we have the grenade bombs, after all.  If we didn't, it would be for spotting only.

Basically, we've got a lot of ways to improve it other than by designing it again directly.  Making Gust of Wind cheaper would let us use an apprentice to propel it around should we get more than one rider, making Lucky Strike cheaper would free up more mages to fly the carpets, etc.  We can do a new design once we have the supporting tech up.

Plus, they get really mad when we hit them with something new.  Making a special metal would make them really mad again and that's it's own reward, really.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:38 am »

Whatever.  After giving it some thought, Arstotzka's plant mages can now affect patches of plants in a diameter equal to their height and grow them up to their own height, regardless of the plants type or initial size.  All their boats are now steam ships, because it makes sense that an ordinary wooden boat cost the same with a steam engine on it.  I'm not changing their new artillery piece or nerfing Moskurgs carpets.  I'm tired of arguing. 
I can accept this. You have my condolences regarding, and gratitude for putting up with, the subset of Arstotzkans who seem determined to master the mystical art of salt summoning.
One-thousand praises upon you for running this game.

Anyway, having thought about it some more, and considering how long it took them to design their ironclads steamships, I'm no longer of the opinion that the Alsamma Safina is the best option this turn. Perhaps when we have more experience.

Dammit guys, dirigibles are not wind-powered.  They operate through buoyancy, which requires lighter than air gases.  We don't have that.  We don't have good fuels or fire magic for hot air balloons, either.  And in any case, propelling them via gusts of wind is essentially inconcievable due to the vastly greater mass compared to the amount of thrust.

Such a thing would be useful, but they're huge.  Very, very huge.  And requires large quantities of lighter-than-air gases, which is something we don't have, and don't even know can exist.
I am aware that the Alsamma Safina would not actually be a proper airship. The bit about it using a balloon is just fluff; it's just a colourful way of combining dozens of carpets into a single entity. Yes, if this were real life, it would require H or He to float, but, may I remind you, it's magic. And I realise that gusts of wind would be a bit weak in terms of propulsion, hence why I suggested magical propellers.

Anyway, this is just in defence of the idea in case it comes up some other turn. For now, I'm going to support a more humble revision to our Pegasi- with the hope that the gained experience will pave the way towards the return of the airship.

The Alsamma Safina (2): Taricus, Happerry
War Pegasi (2): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

Again, I have nothing against Adamantium, but literally every theatre wants better aerial troops.
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 12, 2017, 02:52:12 am »

If we get adamantium we might be able to manufacture helium via a similar process..

Nah, it's mostly that I don't want to roll out airships until we have something to make them really, really useful, so we'll backfoot them again.  Right now we're looking at Carpets +1, and I don't think that's gamechanging enough.

Plus, well, I kinda want actual airships now.  We could deploy antimagic from them, and it's the kind of thing that with a couple of extra bonuses, may be worth it at National Effort.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:40:06 am by Devastator »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 12, 2017, 02:49:36 pm »

Given, we may have to revise  our ammunition. Fire and airships don't go too well together.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 12, 2017, 05:11:39 pm »

With adamantium at hand we can add wind of gust enchantments to rods to add them onto carpets.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 12, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »

I can accept this. You have my condolences regarding, and gratitude for putting up with, the subset of Arstotzkans who seem determined to master the mystical art of salt summoning.
One-thousand praises upon you for running this game.
100% Full Agreement.

Again, I have nothing against Adamantium, but literally every theatre wants better aerial troops.
This is basically my reasoning too.

The Alsamma Safina (1): Taricus,
War Pegasi (2): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: May 12, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »

The Alsamma Safina (0):
War Pegasi (4): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 12, 2017, 06:13:19 pm »

Seriously why?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: May 12, 2017, 06:51:29 pm »

I'm not going to object to it that hard, as the carpets were kinda the result of some fairly bad rolls, (and hence we're not trying to replace a pile of sixes), but I do think that improvements to them would be better come through revisions on the components.  A rev on the gale-shield based enchantment for greater duration or altitude, a revision on Gust to let it be more powerful.. a rev of Lucky Strike so we have more mages available for our available carpets.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: May 12, 2017, 07:54:25 pm »

...Ugh, that is a good point but I don't really want to switch right now because I really don't want to deal with this forum for the next few hours or at least until I stop wishing for the power to strangle people through the internet so if I switch now I can't be argued with.... ah, bleh.

The Alsamma Safina (0):
Adamantium (4): Devastator, Detoxicated, Crazyabe, Happerry
War Pegasi (3): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Switching because we're hitting the end of how much we can pump the ballista up before it starts being to costy to be worth it and our best successes have been from changing how things work. If we can get, say, Wheeled Pavise shields that can soak artillary fire or something out, we can change the game again. And the carpets issues can be solved by revision. Really, the main one is the no innate mobility issue, that that doesn't need a design to fix.

Or if we do spend a design on the Carpet, I want to use that design to add in good useful new things, and not fixing old things. Fixing old things is what Revisions are for, after all.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 12, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »

You don't need a shield to block the shells with out HE shells a mound of dirt can stop the shells. If we want to develope a better way to protect pur troops it would be easier to make a earth shaping spell to to make some short stone walls with dirt or sand in front. The dirt and sand will be able to absorb the impact of their shells and the wall is there so it dirt and sand doesn't spill over onto our troops. This will give our soilders and ballista the aame protection of trenches and if the enemy takes them all they get is a wall to their backs.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 217