Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43914 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #300 on: May 12, 2017, 06:57:26 am »

Since no one answered my question as to how you guys knew we had rifling on our cannons, I took the liberty of searching 'rifling' in your thread.

I think the game is pretty unfair if one side is spying on the other repeatedly, then uses said info to complain to the GM and doesn't even get any repercussions for doing so, and in fact the GM admits he's made a mistake. And in fact it's doubly ironic that above this post was the Behaviour Rules with:

4. Do not spy on the other team's private thread. Trust me, playing fair is more fun for everyone!  If you suffer from a lack of self-control and cannot stop yourself from spying, keep it to yourself.  Do not use it to metagame.  And do not post what you saw in the central thread.  This has happened multiple times now, and if you do it you will be banned with no warning.

Sorry to my fellow Arstotzkans, but I'm quitting as well. If you feel that a game in which the GM selectively enforces rules to favour one side isn't your cup of tea, there's always the other Arms Race game going on now.

United Forenia Forever!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:59 am »

Don't worry about that, Azzuro, I'm okay with getting banned for that.  It just didn't feel fair to get our stuff nerfed due to arguments from the other team, while being unable to argue back.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 12, 2017, 07:46:13 am »

Don't worry about that, Azzuro, I'm okay with getting banned for that.  It just didn't feel fair to get our stuff nerfed due to arguments from the other team, while being unable to argue back.

We argued without outside knowledge, you could have tried as well.

Anyway, with the other side openly abusing the game's rules to their advantage, whatever semblance of balance there was is shattered.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:58:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 12, 2017, 07:56:07 am »

Nah, after reading both threads in parallel several people on both sides were also spying in a more subtle manner. I'm talking about those posts which say "hey, I just realised <x>" in one thread which is followed an hour later by a post "Has anyone considered <x> could be an issue" by someone else in the other thread.

If you're referring to the Firestorm shell revision, then it's understandable, although not justified, as evictedSaint didn't provide the arguments that ebbor came up with for nerfing it, instead just announcing the nerf without elaboration. So I can sorta understand where you're coming from.

It's just that doing it so blatantly, and the GM not even doing anything despite some raising the spying issue, was too much for me. No hard feelings, though.

And hey, here's eS's explanation for why Firestorms shells were overpowered in the first place. Favouritism much?

To be fair, it's not my fault.  You guys have such colorful names and lovely descriptions of your equipment that I'm dazzled by it.  Arstotzka either doesn't name their equipment or lets a chicken with a keyboard name it. 

You know what they fucking named their upgraded fireballs?  "Powerful Streamlined Fireball."

No imagination, that lot u_u

United Forenia Forever!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:38 am »

Well, yeah, that is indeed pretty clear.

Given that, I'm leaving too.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 12, 2017, 08:14:34 am »

I will not leave , although I feel I have no ideas to contribute for a while. But you people made me curious about reading the other thread.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 12, 2017, 08:38:38 am »

I wouldn't encourage it. It's very depressing.

You know that counter they designed for our Frost Towers. They had no design penalties on it.

Oh, and you know when there was a bit of fluff about an order we failed? They got a design bonus for that

Oh, and when they designed anti-magic, we got [-1,-2,-2] as modifiers, while Moskurg got [0,-1,-1] as modifier.
When we both tried it again (having had equal failures,more or less), we got [0,-1, 0] as modifiers while they got [0,+1,0]

A summary of GM comments in the thread is the GM repeatedly complaining about Artotzka and continuing to refer to Moskurg as his faction.

The Bias is obvious.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:22:59 am by 10ebbor10 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 12, 2017, 09:28:48 am »

Oh for the love of god.
Come on, guys. It's a game. Looking at the comments you posted from Evicted seems like they're more so just venting. Evicted admitted a mistake with the firestorm shells and nerfed them. Then he made some harmless remarks now shown here.

Don't leave; it's better to play with others and it seems like you're making multiple coincidental incidences of accidental OP-nes into some grand scheme by Evicted to make Moskurg win.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:51 am »

I've read most of Moskurg's thread now, so there's really no point.

But more importantly than that, I do not at all trust the GM to be unbiased, therefore, there is no point of continuing the game.

I suppose you could justify a few of the things, but not the larger trend. And the worst of course is still someone admitting having broken the rules, saying to the GM, someone else mentioning that it breaks the rules, and there being no consequences whatsoever.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:44:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:12 am »

Yesh, the salt is strong in this thread.

Well, as a Moskurg player you all are likely to just ignore me anyway, but I do have to submit that if we were getting biased rolls, our lightning strike spell would have stopped having a 50% chance of killing it's own caster by now, given that we've spent something like five turns working on it and it still isn't combat ready. Summon Storm is still a fun spell, granted, but we never did get the other half of that combo done.

As for Carpets, yes, we did get them done in one turn. To be precise, we got 'an object we can ride on that flies, badly, and has no internal source of propulsion, and needs to land after it's flown for a bit to recharge, and if damages enough the spell just breaks' done in one turn. The movement? That's from the wizards that ride on it casting the Wind Gust spell to propel them. The bombs? We already had those, they're literally just the firebomb grenades being dropped as bombs instead of thrown at you from people with horses. 10Ebbor10 said they had the cyclone shield enchantment... Actually, nope, that's just the wizard riding on them casting that spell because your side was shooting arrows at them.

I do have to agree that Devastator should have gotten his hand smacked for the spying though, but then, it's not like the spying isn't an ancient tradition in these games, starting from the very first one.

You guys have no reason to complain. The fact that you can't bring up any example shows that.
Well, if you want examples, I can point to how we had spells that had the minor side effect of 'drives the caster insane after around a week of using them', our Lightning Strike spell still has a 50% chance of killing it's caster, our Anti-Magic spell used to strip all ability to cast magic from the people using it after a single cast (yes, we have good anti-magic. We also spent around 5 turns worth of actions, both design and Revision on it.) and still takes like an hour of meditation before a wizard is ready to cast it last I checked.

Hell, it's not like we're the only ones that have fairly casually completely nullified an entire enemy strategy. You guys did that as well with your own anti-magics, or whatever you used to keep us from reading your commander's minds like we used to.

Anyway, I'm sure people have more specific complaints besides the carpet, but a quick scan of the thread isn't finding any more specific examples. If people want to bring up said more specific examples, I will happily debate them on said examples. Because I've had loads of fun in this game, and seeing it end is going to make me sads.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 12, 2017, 11:19:26 am »

Let us drop this ASAP pls. 
Sorry to see you go. Maybe come back in a few turns :)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 12, 2017, 11:59:12 am »

I do want to address the Moskurg complaint that was Azzuro reposted here:
Why complain about our rifling when we both use magic?
Why complain about our rifling when it gives the same accuracy bonus as literally any other piece of fluff? We could have just said so many other things. Why get punished when we try to choose the most realistic piece of fluff?
Why complain about our steam engines when they're either useless or next-to-useless?

I get the complaint about the ones. I assumed (and still assume) that Moskurg is getting the same treatment and I think they should. Getting nothing but complete "you did literally nothing" failures because of 1's is annoying; especially when it's a row of 1's. Both sides should get some lenience like we got with the rifling and long range when in such a long string of failures.

EDIT: But yes. Other than that, I mirror Detoxicated's opinion and won't be trying to argue about this any longer. I disagree with Happerry but not nearly enough to try and continue arguing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:14:53 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 12, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »

Well, as a Moskurg player you all are likely to just ignore me anyway, but I do have to submit that if we were getting biased rolls, our lightning strike spell would have stopped having a 50% chance of killing it's own caster by now, given that we've spent something like five turns working on it and it still isn't combat ready. Summon Storm is still a fun spell, granted, but we never did get the other half of that combo done.

Just because you have one spell that performs according to how it's rolls say it should, doesn't mean that all your spells are 100% tip-top fine.

This is all-or-nothing fallacy is well not constructive or helpfull to the debate.

In addition, I've never heard of your spell's tendency to kill it's own casters. Say much about things right, that even a spell that is supposedly useless works perfectly well to kill Artotzkan troops. They've been annoying our armored troops for ages, and they're doing fine to kill our artillery.

As for Carpets, yes, we did get them done in one turn. To be precise, we got 'an object we can ride on that flies, badly, and has no internal source of propulsion, and needs to land after it's flown for a bit to recharge, and if damages enough the spell just breaks' done in one turn. The movement? That's from the wizards that ride on it casting the Wind Gust spell to propel them. The bombs? We already had those, they're literally just the firebomb grenades being dropped as bombs instead of thrown at you from people with horses. 10Ebbor10 said they had the cyclone shield enchantment... Actually, nope, that's just the wizard riding on them casting that spell because your side was shooting arrows at them.

I didn't say they were enchanted. I said they were immune to arrows, which well, they are. The wizard on top did it.

Anyway, in any case the designs impact is disproportionate.

It's somehow useful at sea, where there are no places to land and recharge.

It flies effortlessly and without trouble through your constant storms.

Despite using a massive gust of air for propulsion, it is near silent and undetectable at night.

A wizard is said to be able to do several spells in combat, but you Carpet requires the constant use of recharging + Wind Gust + Cyclone Shield. You'd never get anywhere without running out of spells.

Well, if you want examples, I can point to how we had spells that had the minor side effect of 'drives the caster insane after around a week of using them',

That was during Iituem's run.

our Anti-Magic spell used to strip all ability to cast magic from the people using it after a single cast (yes, we have good anti-magic. We also spent around 5 turns worth of actions, both design and Revision on it.) and still takes like an hour of meditation before a wizard is ready to cast it last I checked.

Hell, it's not like we're the only ones that have fairly casually completely nullified an entire enemy strategy. You guys did that as well with your own anti-magics, or whatever you used to keep us from reading your commander's minds like we used to.

Artotzkan anti magic has had a similar amount of rolls thrown at it, and it does far, far less than your spell. Our thing used to blow up the people using it. Then it used to inflict third degree burns.

In a way, that showcases the issue. Even your example of "Stuff goes wrong for us" , really shows that you got the far better deal that what Artotska got.

Because the anti magic we developed, stops only your mind reading spell, nothing else. Yours stops 80% of all our magical equipment.

Anyway, you seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the issue. The issue is not that you never roll ones. The issue is that when we roll X and you X, you guys appear to get much better results than we do.

Anyway, I'm sure people have more specific complaints besides the carpet, but a quick scan of the thread isn't finding any more specific examples. If people want to bring up said more specific examples, I will happily debate them on said examples. Because I've had loads of fun in this game, and seeing it end is going to make me sads.

Here are several main ones.

We spend several turns carefully revising, optimizing, adjusting the  fireball spell.

You guys did one turn and made a mundane equivalent that was cheaper, can be used as grenade, bomb and by artillery, longer ranged, burned perpetually and have of toxic smoke.

Even with the Nerf, it's still equivalent to our minimized version of the design, and there was only a minor revision in difference there.

We designed a steam engine. We spend 6 actions (IIRC) on it. One of those actions (the second design actions) had rolls better than your magic flying carpet. What we got :

The slow moving paddles will certainly propel the ship, but a stiff breeze will stall the boats progress.  The captain points out that it'd be more efficient to replace the device with the same amount of rowers by weight, or even by swimmers pulling the boat along by tow line.

We designed a steam cannon. Our rolls, after negative modifiers, were [4 5 4].

What we got :

We got a cannon with shorter range than your ballista, a tendency to explode if fired repeatedly, a tendency to crack if fired at all,  a requirement for water supply, the need for a dedicated mage, the ability to almost miss further than it could fire (range 180 meters. Shots hit within a circle with radius 70 meters), the need for several months of training, the need for specially crafted stone ammunition, and the need to be cleaned every dozen shots.

We had decent rolls (3, 6 5) on a spell to summon plants.

We got the ability to make a flower bloom, over a period of 24 hours, if we send one of our mages to work at it for several minutes.

And then we figured, that's a fluke, let's do a revision, maybe the hard part is over.  We rolled 4

We got the ability to grow a single stalk of wheat through a spell that took 5-20 minutes. Ok, to be fair, we could also grow knee height shrubberies. And small trees, but for the latter we'd need our rare skilled mages.

The same mages who could otherwise create massive walls of fire, or power a tower that can send an entire region in freezing temperatures. And on a good roll, they get the ability to do something that can be destroyed by the average goat.

When we tried to use an expense credit upon our horses, to make them cheaper, EvictedSaint suddenly changed the rules to prevent that. I didn't realize why at the time, but I know now. It was because you guys spent a design actions on making them cheaper, and he didn't want you to have "Wasted" that action. Thus the rules literally got changed to benefit you.

Oh, and a new one, I learned from the Moskurgian thread.

EvictedSaint secretely nerfed our Frost Towers

Under the original game, and for a while under EvictedSaint's system, the game used a 3 point temperature System. Hot > Normal > Cold

Under that system, the final, upgraded version of the Frost Tower was an awesome thing, capable of turning Jungle into Taiga.

But when we made the upgrade, EvictedSaint has changed the system to :

Desert > Jungle > Normal > Mountain > Taiga

This effectively halves the power of our Frost Towers. So our design actions improving their strength was completely negated.

It did remove the "Hot" bonus from the jungle, which was a Moskurg advantage.  From what I read from Iituem's description of the tower, it simply lowers a regions temperature one degree from Hot>Temperate>Cold.

It wasn't cold enough to turn the rainstorm into a blizzard, but it did remove their temperature advantage.

NOTE: Temperature levels are as follows -
Tagia>Mountain>Plains>Jungle>Desert
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:56:22 pm by 10ebbor10 »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 12, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »

look, the GM retracted his actions and literally gave us what we asked for and then some.

Presumably, his admission of the unfair nature of it (salty as that admission may be) means he will do his best to keep the game fair in the future, if only to prevent another situation like this. Give the guy a chance.

This issue has been resolved, so everybody just shut the fuck up and let's get on with the game.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 12, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »

I, ummm, people have kind of dumped a lot of design-specific information in here. Ummm, ehh...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36