Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 48195 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2017, 01:34:51 pm »

Go to the ocean floor and kill the yeti crabs for food.
You don't need food, it's only a month.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2017, 09:49:12 pm »

Now the real question is how are you going to survive on the ocean floor. Invulnerability is temporary, Shapeshift is temporary but longer, and Shelter is temporary but even longer. So you can survive down there for a little bit(if you use Shapeshift, you're going to need to touch a whale or something first), but good luck surviving a month unless you've seen some loophole in the powers I haven't.

Also, a little more food for thought.

If you haven't taken Network, the people of Bay 12 are going to want you dead too, and odds are one of them will remember having seen this hypothetical when the month starts...

If the Hunters are smart enough, they'll power game and all choose Bless. There's no rule stopping them from giving copies of Bless to other people.
Hunters basically nullify the ocean floor tactic if you choose to create them, Pinpoint and Direction can be used to figure out where you are so they can... do whatever they would do to kill someone on the ocean floor.
~~~
Also, with Urist's permission, I might make this into a forum game myself. I've never GMed before and I'm not sure if I'll have the time (or the motivation), but it's a possibility.
You have my permission. If you'd like, I could mentor you. I've done several forum games myself and could help run this game, I'm liking the concept.

"Literally everyone(okay, minus children and the elderly, but still) wants to kill you, and will use everything short of nukes in order to do so. You have but a few advantages. Good luck. You only need to survive for a month."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:10 pm »

Acquire large box, get inside box, sink box, use Resources to fill box with $1000 worth of oxygen and potable water.

If you can't use Resources on the box while inside it, get two boxes.

Also, the ocean is really big, nobody is going to be able to search the whole ocean for you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 10, 2017, 05:14:40 am »

Ocean wouldn't be a good place to hide because one Hunter with half a brain would shapeshift himself and seven people into megalodons. Or orcas. Sperm whales.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:46 am »

Acquire large box, get inside box, sink box...
What kind of box can survive the massive pressure at the sea floor?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:25 am »

Acquire large box, get inside box, sink box...
What kind of box can survive the massive pressure at the sea floor?

The kind that's a lot more than a grand.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2017, 01:10:30 pm »

Find some sealed cave-like thing then, and teleport there. Or teleport to some desert island with a couple trees. Make the vastness of planet earth work in your favor.

Actually I guess what you could do is secretly assemble a reasonably big ball made of air-tight tarp, and teleport to the dark side of the moon (or some asteroid or whatever). You might want to bring a heater though. Or teleport to a sustainable sort of orbit around the sun, close enough to keep you warm. The photo condition can be dealt with by using photos from different seasons or from satellite probes.

The general trick is that your teleport is untraceable, really.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »

Until a hunter pinpoints you in space and repurpose some ICBMs sans warheads to shoot you with an enormous kinetic projectile, that plan wouldn't be so bad. Except for the radiation. And searing heat slash bitter cold.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »

Until a hunter pinpoints you in space and repurpose some ICBMs sans warheads to shoot you with an enormous kinetic projectile, that plan wouldn't be so bad. Except for the radiation. And searing heat slash bitter cold.

I don't think ICMBs can reach the moon just yet, given that there never was any reason to design projectiles to blow stuff up on the moon until this point.

Though I suppose that if NASA and every space agency and rocket manufacturer in the world were to team up and launch a spacecraft to reach your exact location in under a month, that would be a problem. It would probably be very difficult if not impossible for them to do so, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 10, 2017, 04:44:50 pm »

Iirc ICBMs have a longer range in space than across the earth. It's just rocketry and programming. Also no gravity or inertia to fight in space. That's actually a part of first alien contact plans. Basically we message them a variety of ways with instructions on where to go to indicate peaceful intent and if they deviate, we launch a shitpile of nukes at them.
He's fucking with us.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 10, 2017, 06:12:47 pm »

Going to the Moon would keep you safe for a little while; but with most of mankind hellbent on your destruction, it wouldn't take more than a month for someone to crash a probe into your shelter.

Mars would probably be the safest place to wait out the madness. It's too far for anything short of a nuclear pulse rocket or something launched from a mass driver to reach it in less than a month; and even with unlimited resources, it would take at least a couple weeks to set something like that up. Places in the outer or inner solar system may be more remote, but either have less welcoming environments or lack comprehensive and detailed photographs.

Assuming that teleport doesn't allow you to bring along objects (aside from maybe clothes you are wearing) you could use invulnerability for initial setup, then dig a hole to use as a container, write a wish list in the dust and summon some basic shelter supplies like air tanks, heaters, CO2 scrubbers, heavy duty airtight canvas, etc. It'll be a tight budget initially, but with the equivalent of 36k hours of research it should be possible to get a basic Mars shelter up for $1000. Then it's just a matter of playing Mark Watney for a month, expanding your shelter every 3 days as you summon more materials.

The only real threat from Earth during that time would be from one of the Mars rovers trying to murder you with a rock drill; but with communication delay, slow speeds and clumsy scientific tools as their only weapons, you clearly have the advantage there. Or you could use a photo from, say, one of the Viking landers and be well away from the still-functioning rovers. There's also the Mars orbiters, but they probably can't perform the precision reentry required to hit you.

Of course, once everyone regains their sanity there are probably still going to be several kinetic kill vehicles headed your way. So before that happens, either wish for a photo of Earth or, if that doesn't work due to the photo being created by your power and not actually taken by a camera, get a radio and a printer so someone can send one once they stop trying to kill you. This means you'll have to choose teleport as the one power you keep, but that would probably be my choice anyway.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »

Of course, once everyone regains their sanity there are probably still going to be several kinetic kill vehicles headed your way. So before that happens, either wish for a photo of Earth or, if that doesn't work due to the photo being created by your power and not actually taken by a camera, get a radio and a printer so someone can send one once they stop trying to kill you. This means you'll have to choose teleport as the one power you keep, but that would probably be my choice anyway.
-- Or you could just bring a photo with you.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:37 pm »

Assuming that teleport doesn't allow you to bring along objects (aside from maybe clothes you are wearing)
Teleport lets you bring along anything you can carry.

Making your plan even better.
~~~
You know, when I made this hypothetical, I was expecting "hide in the wilderness", not "hide on Mars" or "hide on seafloor". I suppose that's Bay 12 for me.
~~~
bloop_beep, do you plan on making this a forum game? If you won't, I probably will.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:52 pm »

I still think hiding on the opposite side of the sun is much more badass.
The Bay12 postcard club

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »

Something or other killed you. You wake up to find Death standing over you. Turns out the whole "game with Death" thing is real, and you can choose what game you want to play with him. Keep in mind he's been doing this for millennia and has likely been challenged to a very wide variety of games. What game do you challenge him to?
~~~
One day, you wake up in the world of Minecraft, with all the attributes of a Minecraft character. What do you do?
~~~
A mysterious box shows up on your doorstep or equivalent. The box always contains various works from up to ten years in the future(games, books(fiction and non-fiction), music, art, magazines, the like). How does this affect your life?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38