Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 48110 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2017, 12:26:51 pm »

New Hypothetical!

You are the president of the country you were born at, and russia* say "become part of russia or we will throw atomic bombs at your country", do you:
A) Accept the deal
or
B)Don't accept the deal and so russia will bomb you.

*if you are from russia, the country that will bomb you is USA.

If Russia is committed to suicide in such a fashion, who am I stop them? I'm the president so probably have a pretty swish nuke bunker anyway.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »

Immediately nuke Russia first.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:07 pm »

If they're warning me first they've basically given me the opportunity to launch a preemptive strike, which could greatly reduce the amount of damage my country takes in the first place. Also we have more nukes than them. :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:41 pm »

New Hypothetical!

You notice a bomb in your basement. If you didn't have a basement, you have one now. The bomb's display says it's going to go off in 30 minutes.

What do?

I'm less than 30 minutes travel from the beach, put the bomb in a bag, catch a tram, throw it into the ocean at the 5 second mark. Not sure the cops can remove the bomb quicker than I could throw it in the ocean.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:20:27 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:47 pm »

If they're warning me first they've basically given me the opportunity to launch a preemptive strike, which could greatly reduce the amount of damage my country takes in the first place. Also we have more nukes than them. :P

I dunno how much a preemptive strike can honestly prevent retaliatory strikes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2017, 11:17:43 pm »

Yeah, after all, both Russia and America built their systems to assume the other side shot first and be able to shoot back. That's how the whole nuclear deterrent system works. Pre-emptive strike on Russia assumes that you can bomb all their nuclear launch systems, across one of the biggest nations on Earth, not even counting nuclear-armed submarines.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2017, 01:55:16 am »

I'm less than 30 minutes travel from the beach, put the bomb in a bag, catch a tram, throw it into the ocean at the 5 second mark. Not sure the cops can remove the bomb quicker than I could throw it in the ocean.
Since we don't know what sort of explosive the bomb uses, this could cause massive ecological damage. A concrete basement would be a safer place to let it explode, especially as doing so doesn't require touching the bomb. In my opinion bomb disposal is best left to the professionals.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2017, 06:46:46 am »

Also if it's a noticeable enough bomb, convincing people it's not your fault is going to be relatively important, especially since it's no ones fault but the authorities will realllllly want someone to blame for it. I feel like if you just chuck it into the sea before it explodes, you're pretty likely to take the blame and not be able to convince them you didn't make it... Of course, you might take the blame anyway for it being in your basement. But I feel like you have a better chance to get away if you tell them about it first thing.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2017, 10:58:01 am »

My basement is quite big, many people could be blamed who aren't me. The wonders of apartment buildings. So just report it to my building probably, saying "hey, by the way, there is what looks suspiciously like a bomb in our basement."

Also get the hell out of my building. It's not going to collapse or anything, but let's not take any chances eh?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:49 pm »

I'd lock FallacyofUrist in the basement. He presumably put the bomb there so he can deactivate it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:40 pm »

New Hypothetical!
You notice a bomb in your basement. If you didn't have a basement, you have one now. The bomb's display says it's going to go off in 30 minutes.
What do?
Cook a curry in under 29 minutes, use the last minute to eat the curry. If the bomb was legit I am dead, if it wasn't, I have curry

New Hypothetical!
You are the president of the country you were born at, and russia* say "become part of russia or we will throw atomic bombs at your country", do you:
A) Accept the deal
or
B)Don't accept the deal and so russia will bomb you.
*if you are from russia, the country that will bomb you is USA.
Extra rules:
1-If you tell them you will bomb then back if they do this and pick choice B, they will still bomb you
2-If you bomb them first and pick A then wont bomb you back, if you bomb them first and pick B they will still bomb you.
The UK does not have a President, which means that I would be asked to abolish Parliament and the Monarchy or else face atomic destruction. I'd probably then go with option B-1, wherein we're gonna get bombed so bomb them anyways and just kickstart WWIII because hypothetical putin is being unreasonable

Although I must admit option A is attractive, if only because it would be very difficult for Russia to enforce any authority over such long distance and geographical separation

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:39 pm »

New hypothetical! Every human on earth falls up instead of down for ten seconds, then gravity resumes as normal. Every year at the exact same time, the same event occurs. How does society change?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:08 pm »

New hypothetical! Every human on earth falls up instead of down for ten seconds, then gravity resumes as normal. Every year at the exact same time, the same event occurs. How does society change?

We will Duct-Tape ourselves to a tree, Pinky.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48:03 pm »

How would weights, air and pressure affect this. This would alter what happens to divers caught in this anomaly greatly

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »

National falling up day would be heavily over commercialized shlock.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38