Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 48098 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:38 pm »

New hypothetical!
You find a spell book on your bed, and as you touch it, you feel it bind to you.
Choose any one D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder spell, 6th spell level or less, and you can now use it once per day, ignoring material cost. What class the spell belongs to doesn't matter. What is your choice, if any?
Prestidigitation, at least so long as it stayed cantrippy and I could ignore that 1/day thing. Least wish for the win.

If it'd still hold the 1/day thing, probably mage's lubrication. If you have to choose a spell it might as well be the one that lets you choose a bunch of other ones. Probably something better than that specific one for the same effect in some 3.5e or pathfinder splatbook, but eh, close enough.

... though depending on if summoning works and you can hunt up a spell that lets you call in efreeti or somethin' that can still cast wish, well...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »

I don't know DnD spells very well, so I guess I'd just take fireball.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »

New hypothetical!
You find a spell book on your bed, and as you touch it, you feel it bind to you.
Choose any one D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder spell, 6th spell level or less, and you can now use it once per day, ignoring material cost. What class the spell belongs to doesn't matter. What is your choice, if any?
Prestidigitation, at least so long as it stayed cantrippy and I could ignore that 1/day thing. Least wish for the win.

If it'd still hold the 1/day thing, probably mage's lubrication. If you have to choose a spell it might as well be the one that lets you choose a bunch of other ones. Probably something better than that specific one for the same effect in some 3.5e or pathfinder splatbook, but eh, close enough.

... though depending on if summoning works and you can hunt up a spell that lets you call in efreeti or somethin' that can still cast wish, well...

Summon Monster VI.

You can summon minor genies, which can cast other spells. it's not until VII that you can summon ACTUAL genies, which have like a 1% chance to be able to cast wish.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:12 pm »

Actually wouldn't work by rules as written, I think, assuming they're in effect. At some point summoning was clarified such that things specifically summoned can't/won't use effects with an XP cost... such as wish. There's other spells that get around that (stuff that binds or calls, ferex), but using SM 6 or whatev' probably wouldn't work. Planar ally (or whatever it's called) or something might.

In any case, any class was specified. I'm sure there's some prestige class or random splatbook out there with a variant/non-standard class with something that would work. I just don't know what it'd be and ain't about to start looking.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »

Actually wouldn't work by rules as written, I think, assuming they're in effect. At some point summoning was clarified such that things specifically summoned can't/won't use effects with an XP cost... such as wish. There's other spells that get around that (stuff that binds or calls, ferex), but using SM 6 or whatev' probably wouldn't work. Planar ally (or whatever it's called) or something might.

In any case, any class was specified. I'm sure there's some prestige class or random splatbook out there with a variant/non-standard class with something that would work. I just don't know what it'd be and ain't about to start looking.

Noble Genies are the exception. They are able to grant three wishes. Anyway you'd need SM VII, which the question forbids to begin with.

At VI you can get minor genies, but they can create food for you :D
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 01:56:45 pm »

New hypothetical: you learn that a magnitude 11 earthquake will strike California one year from now. As a side note, you no longer need sleep. What do?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »

There exist two possibilities:

A. The earthquake scale has undergone a stack overflow, suggesting an incredibly small earthquake.

B. The earthquake scale is advancing logarithmically beyond 10.0, which itself should be all but impossible on Earth and suggests the entire planet is going to be shattered by a massive impact.

Either way, rejoice in my freedom from sleep.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2017, 02:03:36 pm »

That's, like, on the other side of the country. Tell everyone about my premonition and then play videogames 24/7.
If people notice that staying awake all the time doesn't kill me, then it would become obvious that something magical is happening; therefore people might actually listen to me and prepare.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2017, 02:08:37 pm »

Using my non-sleeping as evidence, have California's name changed. Shortly thereafter, have a rock officially named California and shoot it into space.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:10:32 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 02:26:34 pm »

Buy up soon-to-be waterfront property in Nevada.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2017, 12:44:18 pm »

Okay, new hypothetical. Two of them, actually.

If, for some reason, you needed to keep this thread active for a year(because if you fail to do so, you will end up crushed by a space rock), what would you do?

Secondly... if you have not taken control of the world in the next 20 years, the Yellowstone super volcano will erupt.

Thankfully, you can choose two blueprints and two objects from these two spoilers to help you take control of the world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:40 pm »

I dunno I thought about taking people's hypotheticals and updating the main page to highlight which one we are on at anytime.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2017, 01:44:47 pm »

Build several straw accounts and keep the thread purely active within them. Staple pieces of any other hypothetical onto this one whenever they occur in another thread, excepting anything dealing with gun control, because locky-locky would likely be an autofailure.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:36 pm »

Need to keep the thread active for a year? Shoot Skyrunner, lock word association game with a post saying it's been moved to this thread for reasons, done.

I'd take the formula for the cancer cure, sell the cure it at a ridiculously high price, buy my own island, declare independence, patent never expires. Sell the giant laser emplacement to the "project starshot" people.

Take the functional jetpack because jetpack, and the camera. The jetpack is just so I have a jetpack. Use the camera to get blackmail on politicians, gain even more influence because ridiculous sums of money.

And answering the question in the first post: Memorize the cancer cure, destroy the formula, create more, sell it for large amounts of money, and bomb the Yulin Dog Festival with the money.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

Hmm. Giant laser, gravity device, million dollars, memory eraser. First make use of memory eraser until nobody remembers that the money is illegally obtained. Invest money into starting a space launch company, using the gravity device to make rockets lighter, making it much cheaper to launch rockets. Do a few genuine launches to make some money, then build a Giant Lazor satellite under cover of something else. Use Giant Lazor to ransom some country for lots of money. Use money to launch more lasers. Repeat until nobody can oppose me because too many lasers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38