Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Arthurian High Adventure - Sign-ups (OOC Thread)  (Read 13886 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Some enemies will have abilities like: 'The target gets affliction X unless they roll higher than Y Enchantment'. Or 'This attack does Z damage minus the target's Physical Roll' or something. So it's not important for your average attacks. But against special abilities? Pretty important.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, that does make sense to me at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I get it mostly.

Anyway, can you roll me and KJ a a practice fight Usec? That should clarify any lingering mechanic confusion. Just assume we're straight up whaling on each other with our best stats/abilities. We'll handle the aftermath.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure thing. Just let me know in the IC thread when I should dump it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We'll have to wait for KJ to respond, then we should be good to go.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Sorry, at school so my net time is limited. I got about two hours though

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what does winning with cunning over physical look like? A suckerpunch when you're going in for a "lets have a good bout" handshake or something like that?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

However KJ wants to fluff it, basically. Cunning attacks are more sneaky-stabby whereas Physical ones are direct and brutal, but the preference of the player takes precedence.

The system is very simple and loose, yes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I guess he just punched me in the junk over and over.

I figure the system is like rocket tag, anyway. Whoever goes first is always going to win.

Also, can't decide if Judas skill is cheesing the system or not. :P It's deceptively weak to start, but it gets exponentially stronger as it goes on. Maybe that's a good balance?

How many combat rounds are tales expected to be on average?

Not arguing for a nerf, but-I mean at some point, that's just going to be an ability everyone has to take, right? By my math, the time to reach parity between the two abilities (talking about the basic passive damage boost) seems to be about 4 turns per level. So at lv.16 you have to get in 64 normal attacks to reach the same average amount of damage.

Edit: I didn't do the math for if you combine the normal damage passive with the double attack...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:59:46 pm by Dwarmin »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

I mean, there are characters who, IC-ly, would just avoid combat or find different ways around (Deidre for certain, considering she's a pacifist whose physical attributes amount to being an excellent dancer and nothing else), so I doubt it'd be mandatory for anyone except heavy damage dealers.  It is an Arthurian mythology-based RP, so the likelihood is that there will be times for people to sneak past battles or talk their way out through doing errands or something.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Yeah, I guess he just punched me in the junk over and over.

I figure the system is like rocket tag, anyway. Whoever goes first is always going to win.

Also, can't decide if Judas skill is cheesing the system or not. :P It's deceptively weak to start, but it gets exponentially stronger as it goes on. Maybe that's a good balance?

Not arguing for a nerf, but-I mean at some point, that's just going to be an ability everyone has to take, right? By my math, the time to reach parity between the two abilities (talking about the basic passive damage boost) seems to be about 4 turns per level. So at lv.16 you have to get in 64 normal attacks to reach the same average amount of damage.

Edit: I didn't do the math for if you combine the normal damage passive with the double attack...
I thought that the time it took was a bit quick as well but Usec has assured me that this is the ideal amount of time for combat to take between players. And also the system isn't made for PvP combat so this likely isn't representative of the actual fights coming.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol. Obviously with a game where a majority of the differentiation between characters comes from something that's made up on a case by case basis. It's honestly probably not something to worry about too much, seeing as we're all allies and this is... Presumably going to be a pretty rules lite game.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

I might bump up the cost of Devotion to 2 or 3 points depending on how actual combat goes. Multiple-action abilities are kinda strong after all, but I was hoping that the limited resource pool would limit its power. You also have to remember that other damage-dealing abilities exist/can be made, so... Yeah. A PvP fight shouldn't be taken as representative of how actual gameplay will go. After all, you're supposed to be beating up terrible monsters and honourable foes, not each other. Most enemies will have a ton of HP and plenty of weak attacks to spread over the party, instead of being the glass cannons that the PCs are.

And hey. The rules aren't in stone. I can always boost the HP totals of the PCs if becomes a problem.

Depends on the opponents, my goals for the fight and so on. Ideally they'll take less than double digits' worth of turns, unless I really want to string things out.

Lol. Obviously with a game where a majority of the differentiation between characters comes from something that's made up on a case by case basis. It's honestly probably not something to worry about too much, seeing as we're all allies and this is... Presumably going to be a pretty rules lite game.

Yeah, but I still want people to have fun in the game. And sometimes that means bringing a certain character down so that they don't outshine everyone else by their presence. But generally you are correct.

I mean, there are characters who, IC-ly, would just avoid combat or find different ways around (Deidre for certain, considering she's a pacifist whose physical attributes amount to being an excellent dancer and nothing else), so I doubt it'd be mandatory for anyone except heavy damage dealers.  It is an Arthurian mythology-based RP, so the likelihood is that there will be times for people to sneak past battles or talk their way out through doing errands or something.

That's the goal. The game is supposed to be rules-lite and RP-focused, so I'd be a terrible GM if I didn't include non-combat solutions. Looking at my scattered ideas, most of them have significant non-combat parts to them and only a handful of battles. The exception is at the very start of the game but it's hard to include a ton of non-combative scenarios while the land is still swallowed up by Primordial fog and monsters roam freely. This phase of the game will be very short so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you roll our combat as well USEC_OFFICER? (Unless you wanted to do something else kingmurdoc)

I suppose we're exactly equal, given equal stats and abilities that don't matter here, so it's basically a coinflip.

Edit: Sorry for not really roleplaying out the fight heh, I didn't have much time for bay12 and it seems the moment has passed, ah well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:01:09 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14