Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Arthurian High Adventure - Sign-ups (OOC Thread)  (Read 13864 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Roger, no damage for talking with spirits then.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Charisma is not a stat or mechanic in the game, so the second ability is more appropriate than the first. It's all supposed to be done through roleplaying, so normally I'll be leery about having an ability affecting it, but with animals I'd say it's okay. Being a Disney Princess sounds like an appropriate ability in my book, especially since I'd allow stuff like 'can talk to birds'. So yeah. Excellent ability all around. I really like it and the character as a whole.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I was saving the 'can talk to birds' for a later level. :P

Added it to my sheet with clarification it is merely an empathetic link, and that she can attempt to command or compel them, she as of yet has no special ability to communicate with them. So no asking the beavers to build the party a bridge to cross the river. yet.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

I don't need to have the two people as one mechanic.  The fluff is plenty for me.  I'll come up with some sort of spell or martial maneuver to use instead.

I have altered my sheet with a new ability:  Ethereal Image, a powerful illusion spell that makes people see things that aren't there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:12:45 pm by DragonRage »
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Still planning on posting a sheet for this, by the way.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Klippe Holbar The Man of Sea and Stone
Appearance: Klippeis an imposing knight. He is tall and wide, a behemoth of a man. His hair is brown, straight, and short. His face is clean-shaven, and is almost permanently set in a stern grimace. His eyes are a beautiful shade of blue, but they are as hard and as cold as eyes can be. He is very straightforward and at times, as dumb as a rock, but there are few enchanters as talented as he.
Backstory: Klippe is an enchanter from very far north where the sea is cold and little green life can grow. Klippe's homeland is a rocky cold place, full of cold rocky people, and Klippe is no exception. He was travelling through Galwalas learning the magic of southern enchanters during the return of Princess Eirwen and the terrible events that followed. He's been with the Order ever since.

Class:Enchanter
Primary Attribute:Enchantment
Secondary Attribute:Physical
Ternary Attribute:Cunning
Other:

Dice
Physical Dice:2
Enchantment Dice:4
Cunning Dice:0

Weapon: A steel staff.
Armour: Simple black clothes.
Other: A piece of never-melting ice that he wears around his neck. Its constantly cold, but this doesn't seem to bother Klippe

Ability: Man of Sea and Stone
Klippe is particularly gifted at using the materials of his homeland when casting magic. He gets +2k1 Enchantment while casting spells related to water or earth.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mist: Owen can Focus to become almost impossible to see.(I'll let the GM set the mechanics for this if that's ok. I'm not sure about the balance.)

Does 'This character automatically avoids the next two attacks' sounds fine to you?

I was thinking more of something that would be of use outside of combat as well, like a buff to stealth and maybe a penalty to people attacking.
But that does look like a good future ability. I guess I should try to get a handle on the system, so how do these look?

Mist: Uses Focus. +2k2 to stealth. when subject to ranged attack, attacker must discard highest die first.

Proposed future ability
Ghost: Use Focus to become immaterial. May walk through a wall or avoid next two physical attacks.

Are those alright? Did I make them too strong or did I get the power about right?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyways. I like the character and I think that the Oaths are fine. Not putting dice into Enchantment is fine since it means that means that you'll suffer whenever you encounter an test/attack which requires Enchantment to defend against. If you're okay with that then I see no reason to reject such an Oath. Honour me is more than acceptable as well. As for honourable combat... I'm not sure. I guess I have to ask what you think an 'honourable challenge' entails. Is it going up to someone and challenging them to a duel? Do they need honour for you to challenge them? Can you force them to face you if they refuse?

Hum, ah, I didn't realize that the dice pools were used for defense as well as offense. Hum... That seems like it'd be a pretty crippling, especially at high levels where you'd expect to have a good handful to defend even in a tritery stat. Maybe I shouldn't do that, unless I could get some sorta anti magic ability.... But that'd probably not be allowed.

And yeah, as for honor I think it'd be more interesting with a more modern, and thus restrictive, view of what honor is. I'd say, it doesn't need to be a literal duel nore do they need to comply (otherwise any evil dude could just say nah and walk away), but they need to be aware that I want to combat them and it doesn't matter whether or not they themselves are honorable, I don't lower myself to their level, I stay at my own level. Basically, I can't stab people in their sleep, or poison their food or something like that.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

Finished
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was saving the 'can talk to birds' for a later level. :P

Added it to my sheet with clarification it is merely an empathetic link, and that she can attempt to command or compel them, she as of yet has no special ability to communicate with them. So no asking the beavers to build the party a bridge to cross the river. yet.

Excellent. Sounds good to me.

I have altered my sheet with a new ability:  Ethereal Image, a powerful illusion spell that makes people see things that aren't there.

Drop the +4k3 part of the ability and you're good. Charisma and convincing people is done through RP and not dice rolls so having a bonus would be pointless. Other than that I see no problems with the ability. It sounds good to me.

-snip-

You need to give your character a Rune, since Enchanters start with one. As long as you fluff your basic Enchantment attacks as water/earth flavoured then Man of Sea and Stone should apply to them, if that was your plan at picking it at level 1. So yeah. Pick a Rune to start out with and you're good.

I was thinking more of something that would be of use outside of combat as well, like a buff to stealth and maybe a penalty to people attacking.

But that does look like a good future ability. I guess I should try to get a handle on the system, so how do these look?

Mist: Uses Focus. +2k2 to stealth. when subject to ranged attack, attacker must discard highest die first.

Proposed future ability
Ghost: Use Focus to become immaterial. May walk through a wall or avoid next two physical attacks.

Are those alright? Did I make them too strong or did I get the power about right?

I would have been totally fine with you using that ability outside of combat for some (very) temporary invisibility, since it makes a ton of sense mechanics-wise. So it's up to you whether or not you want to change it back.

Mist is... too over the place. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with it and so aren't certain what suggestions to make.

Ghost is a little too weak as it stands. It should be 'Can walk through walls and avoid the next three attacks'. Or something similar, you don't have to keep the same wording.

Hum, ah, I didn't realize that the dice pools were used for defense as well as offense. Hum... That seems like it'd be a pretty crippling, especially at high levels where you'd expect to have a good handful to defend even in a tritery stat. Maybe I shouldn't do that, unless I could get some sorta anti magic ability.... But that'd probably not be allowed.

And yeah, as for honor I think it'd be more interesting with a more modern, and thus restrictive, view of what honor is. I'd say, it doesn't need to be a literal duel nore do they need to comply (otherwise any evil dude could just say nah and walk away), but they need to be aware that I want to combat them and it doesn't matter whether or not they themselves are honorable, I don't lower myself to their level, I stay at my own level. Basically, I can't stab people in their sleep, or poison their food or something like that.

I would allow some kind of anti-magic ability, actually. Its effects would pretty much be: 'If you invested your Dice into your ternary attribute then you wouldn't have needed to waste an ability, dummy'. So, you know, up to you.

Yeah. That definition of honourable combat seems fine to me. Not a formal challenge or whatever. Just not orchestrating things so that you have any advantages besides your innate abilities. If they mess up then that's their problem, but you can't go out of your way to mess them up. Am I making sense here? Like, if everyone else ambushed a bunch of enemies then you couldn't make use of the surprise but wait for them to acknowledge you before you started fighting. But if the enemy showed up drunk to a fight you wouldn't think twice of cutting them down. Are we on the same page here or am I missing something?

Finished

Looks great to me. No complaints here. You ability might be a little under-powered though, depending on how you define criminals, since this game is more about fighting monsters, knights and infidels than bandits and pickpockets. Extending it to 'monsters and other enemies of civilization' might make sense but make it too broad. Any thoughts?

Just so that everybody knows, I'll be starting the game on Saturday at the latest. I could push this back to Sunday/Monday though, depending on what people wanted. Sounds good?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, my rune will be "Stone"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Does that close off applications?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Of course not.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

Edit made, and let me just say that I am very happy that the resist difficulty for my illusions will be RP based rather than mechanically based.  I might just have to invest hard in being an illusionist.  It's so rare that the system and GM both allow them to work.  No resist check?  Yes please.
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess that version of mist was a little scattered and probably not very well named. I see it as becoming very nearly invisible. Think turning the transparency way up in Photoshop. My thinking was that that gives the bonus to stealth and the fact that he's hard to see even when you know where to look makes aiming difficult, but that was probably too much. Maybe i should have just gone with a simple passive bump to stealth.

Do you have any guidance on the power level for active abilities? The limits you mentioned in the first post were all for passive abilities.  Also am i correct that all active abilities use the power pool?

Edit: I'm glad ghost was ok if a little under powered. Your  version is definitely going on the list of things to get in the future.

Thanks for your help working through this.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:48:43 pm by Sudurandom »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14