Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Arthurian High Adventure - Sign-ups (OOC Thread)  (Read 13876 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

And now I hand the next player-driven narrative, off to a willing enchanter player. :P

If you 'won or lost' was determined solely by your invested point in the ability, btw. At one point I had a small roll-off to determine the odd ones out. All in all, we now have an IC reason to know how strong each member is at physical combat. I think we should do this with all abilities.

Now you magic guys have a chance to shine.

I also left the 'ultimate battle' up to the two players with the highest score in that ability.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:10:32 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

:/

Not particularly appreciating having my character auto'd, even if it would've ended the same anyway (Deidre's probably the one person in the whole group who's never had to fight anything ever, which makes sense, considering she's a Ninian ripoff and also spent most of her life in a swamp with nobody but her mom for company). Was this cleared with USEC beforehand?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, 'player driven narrative'! I made it up on the spot. Didn't ask USEC for anything. Pretty much an excuse plot for how we know Deidre dumped her physical stat, just like we'll know Thorsteinn has magicphobia and Alfrieda is as cunning as a brick wrapped in bacon. So we know to pair her up with one of the better fighters when we form teams. I guess we could just pretend without any context that we know from looking at each others sheets, but what fun is that?

Also I'll be honest, the idea of rolling 14 actual battles that didn't mean anything also didn't appeal to me either.

Do you want to do something individual here? You can easily RP how you didn't get past the first round. :P Or what?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Uh, yeah, this is uh, not kosher. YOu can't just take control of the ENTIRE cast without host permission or the permission of the players involved.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

I feel that it would've been more in-character for half the cast not to have fought and half the cast to be all up for duelling. I get that it was an excuse for knowing OOC-known information, but it's definitely not cool to auto people even if the result is obvious.

Also we might have actually gotten people to post if we hadn't auto'd it

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, was trying to speed things along. Noticed a few days no one was posting anything, got me worried no one was going to move things forward. My mistake, honestly. We really need to do figure out what sort of teams we're going to form into, tho.

Anyway, I'll delete this whole thing. And then somebody else come up with a better idea.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

Okay, that post was a bit outdated.

And I've calmed down a bit.

Dwarmin, you had a solid idea, now that I think about it.  Our characters do need to learn more about each other, if we're going to be fighting together.  So I've had Magnus and Magda suggest that we do in fact share at least a bit of our skill sets with each other, to improve coordination in the field and start choosing teams.  If you want to have your character organize that, feel free, as mine aren't exactly comfortable in the spotlight for long.  But no more mind control plox.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:49:01 pm by DragonRage »
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose I am just impatient. I've played like a hundred forum games where if someone doesn't FORCE the party to move forward, no one ever posts and the game dies. Everyone stands around waiting for something to happen. We've got 13 players as well, which is quite a burden to handle when we are all waiting for everyone to post as a big group. I was worried this is going to end up taking too much time from actually 'starting' the game. In my own experience, players in big groups also lose interest quickly if they don't stand out enough from the crowd. You guys want the slow and steady way, we'll do it that way.

Anyway, let's never mention it again.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Sorry. I've been busy dealing with real life shit and my usual moodiness. I was going to push things along tomorrow so... Yeah. Thanks for doing it for me. :v I'll do something tomorrow too, don't worry.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Kj1225: Right, so how do we do this? If we test physical vs physical, I have the advantage, if we test physical vs cunning we're pretty matched. Assuming you can attack with cunning.

I think I understand combat, vaguely.

Alfrieda will roll xd6 every turn, adding 3 to physical rolls for honor.
Judas will roll xd6 every turn, and spends a point of devotion on his first turn to get a double attack.

With X being our primary stat. First person to hit 24 damage on the other person wins.

Assuming we're not counting armor, since we have no stats for it.

Shall we just do this turn by turn? Or what?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I didn't explain combat too clearly. My apologies. Hopefully this explanation clears things up.

Each attribute is in the form of XkY. You roll X d6s, and keep Y of them. X is equal to the number of Dice you have in your attributes, which you distributed in character creation. So Alfrieda rolls 3 Dice for Enchantment/Physical and none for Cunning, which means she's screwed if she needs to defend with it. Judas rolls 3 for Cunning, 2 for Physical and 1 for Enchantment, so he's not as screwed in that case. Y is dependent on your level and Primary/Secondary/Ternary attributes, which is what that table is for in the OP. At level 1, Secondary and Ternary attributes both keep 1 dice while Primary keeps 2.

So when Judas rolls Cunning he rolls 3d6 and keeps the two highest dice. If Alfrieda rolls Physical she rolls 3d6, keeps the two highest dice, and then adds +3 from Honour. When Judas rolls Physical he rolls 2d6 and keeps the highest dice. When Alfrieda rolls Cunning she rolls nothing and automatically gets a result of 0, which will be hilarious when she uses it to defend against enemy abilities.

You can use any attribute when attacking. Physical, Enchantment, Cunning, doesn't matter. You guys also have weapons and armour but they have no real effects yet. When you adventure some more and get new equipment that may change.

Does that make more sense or am I just being confusing still?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What this doesn't spell out is how damage is determined and applied.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You just subtract the result of the roll from HP. It's supposed to be a very simple system after all.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where does defending against attacks come in then? You've implied a lot of times that having a low attribute means you'll be weak on the defense, however if you're just subtracting the result of your opponents attack to your hp, then there's not really a difference between 100k100 and 0k0 when it comes to defense.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14