Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the right file to mod  (Read 780 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the right file to mod
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »

If I wanted to mod skill rust rates, which file am I looking for?

Also, is this something that can be modded for existing worlds (by modifying that world's raws), or will I have to create a new world for the changes to happen?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the right file to mod
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »

if you're asking about dwarves, its creaturestandard.txt
because its just a creature token.  double check the wiki :)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

Also, is this something that can be modded for existing worlds (by modifying that world's raws), or will I have to create a new world for the changes to happen?

Yeah, it can. Go hog wild.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:20:59 pm »

if you're asking about dwarves, its creaturestandard.txt
because its just a creature token.  double check the wiki :)

So, the wiki tells me I want SKILL_RATES, but I can't find that in Creature_Standard.txt.  Is this something that doesn't exist unless I'm modding it?  Is there anywhere specific I have to put it? And do I have to specify separately for each skill? 

(Does, for example, [SKILL_RATES:100:25:25:25] work, or should it be [MINING:100:25:25:25] and etc..., or some other format.  I was hoping the file would have the defaults explicitly written out, so I knew the real format for sure - the wiki tokens listing is clear as mud.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:37:45 pm by Squirrelloid »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »

You just add the SKILL_RATES token, yeah. If you want a specific skill, you want SKILL_RATE:skill.

I was hoping the file would have the defaults explicitly written out, so I knew the real format for sure - the wiki tokens listing is clear as mud.

Please be more specific so I can fix it.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »

You just add the SKILL_RATES token, yeah. If you want a specific skill, you want SKILL_RATE:skill.

I was hoping the file would have the defaults explicitly written out, so I knew the real format for sure - the wiki tokens listing is clear as mud.

Please be more specific so I can fix it.

Extracting token format out of the wiki is reasonably possible.  But figuring out where you put those tokens in a creature entry doesn't seem to be covered by the wiki.  (At least not on the creature tokens list, where it would be really helpful). 

But in this case it wasn't totally clear whether I needed to be using the general token name, or the skill token names.  Admittedly some of that was me questioning what I thought I understood unnecessarily after failing to find anything in the .txt file under the name I expected.

So if I add [SKILL_RATES:etc...] to the Dwarf creature, are there particular domains it has to be in?  General creature? Caste? something else?  Some indication of where the game is going to expect to find it (or an indication of how it will be interpreted at different levels).  I'm not sure what the proper shorthand would be, but I imagine there's a limited set of different domains creature tokens get used in, so they could be categorized by how they can be used, with links to pages describing the features of that usage group.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:30:48 pm by Squirrelloid »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:43:38 pm »

Order doesn't matter at all, it's a complete non-issue, thus why it's not mentioned. The only domains are creature-level and caste-level, which are explicitly pointed out on the wiki page.

You always use the general token name. There is never a situation where a token's name can be replaced with another one. The token's name is the token.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:01:20 pm »

Order doesn't matter at all, it's a complete non-issue, thus why it's not mentioned. The only domains are creature-level and caste-level, which are explicitly pointed out on the wiki page.

You always use the general token name. There is never a situation where a token's name can be replaced with another one. The token's name is the token.

Ah

Well, I'm sure it makes perfect sense once you know what you're doing.  But as someone stumbling around figuring out what's going on, I didn't actually know that. xP