Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 7  (Read 3429 times)

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 2
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 06:20:50 pm »

"You heading for the engine? I'll try and meet you there." Bracken says over the comms after scraping a crude arrow pointing to here he was heading.

Start heading down to the engineering deck.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 3
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »

I forgot to include an EVA suit in your character spoiler, Shadowclaw. I fixed that this update.
Also, regarding items and inventories: The "Assets" section is basically a list of stuff accessible by anyone on the team. If something is listed there, it doesn't necessarily mean that item is located in any specific place, but it means that everyone knows where it is and can (probably) access its location. If someone takes something listed in Assets, the taken item will only be listed in that person's gear instead of the Assets list.

Another thing: "Engines" is kind of a tricky word with spaceships, I feel. Some people use it to describe the thrusters of a ship while others use it to describe power generation. I'm assuming power generation was meant.

Update 3
The teams continue traversing the labyrinth of a ship. While Dr. Roboson and Adrihel move on from their looted storage closet, Holland finds Bracken and begins moving forward.

After a while of uninteresting doors and halls, Adrihel stops his exploration partner and points to an ajar door. The door is easily pulled open to reveal a moderately-sized room that seems rather undamaged. What looks like reinforced glass comprises the majority of the flooring and the walls away from the entrance, providing a view into the space outside of the derelict that would probably be beautiful if it weren't for the adjacent ship graveyard.
A desk and small workspace with an offline holodisplay are positioned to the corner of the room. Another part of the room has extensive shelving and other storage methods, while the center of the room contains what looks like a multi-purpose holotable. The holotable is offline, but usually they're used for presentations, briefings, and general multi-purpose ship computer interfacing. Tables and other surfaces line the walls.

Perhaps it was Dr. Roboson's want for a lab thinking, but the doctor felt that this Observation Room could be perfect for a lab.

While the doctor and Adrihel were fawning over the observation room, Holland leads Bracken as they made their way to the back of the ship where Engineering would bound to be.
Even with a destination in mind and without distractions, the trip to the back of the derelict proves to be a long one. But eventually, they make it to Engineering. The team passes through a large Reactor Room housing what looks like the primary reactor and some of the derelict's auxiliary ones and stops there.
Bracken begins some half-hearted investigation into the reactors themselves while Holland looks for an interface.

Eventually the main interface holodisplay is found for the primary reactor, but it too is offline. Normally, these interfaces would have their own reserved battery to allow easy use without power, but it looks like the battery's extreme periods of inactivity dried it out. The battery could definitely be charged again, but the portable generator is definitely too far away to be plugged in here.
Bracken locates a small maintenance sub-room housing analog switches for the primary and auxiliary reactors in the room. These switches don't require power but aren't as easy to make use of.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
Navigation  ...  NOT RESPONDING
Propulsion   ...  NOT RESPONDING
Weapons  ...  NOT RESPONDING

Intercom  ...  ONLINE
> _

Known Systems
The number in [brackets] represents the power usage. Blue represents a current usage/production of power. Gray represents that the system is not creating or consuming any power. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
[-??] [BROKEN]   Life Support - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER]   Auxiliary Forward Thrusters - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER] Sensors - Offline
[-2]   Bridge Control Systems - Online
[+3]   Portable Generator - Online
Notable Rooms
- Bridge (The large extensive bridge at the front of the ship.)
- Hull Opening (A moderately-sized opening in the hole near the bridge that was used to dock the shuttle at.)
- Observation Room (A large mostly-glass observation room fairly close to the bridge. Has plenty of storage, an office-like workspace, and a large multi-use holotable in the center. Plenty of surfaces to use for just about anything.)
- Reactor Room (A huge room housing the primary reactor as well as several auxiliary reactors. Located at the rear side of the ship next to other engineering rooms, far away from the bridge.)
Assets
- "Dove" Long-Range Transport Shuttle [At: Hull Opening] (Capacity: 6)
- 13u Patchwork Repair Supplies (Supplies commonly carried on military ship for temporary field repairs.)
- 5u Spare Electronics

The Team
Spoiler: ATHATH - "Hackerman" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roboson - Dr. Roboson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:00:17 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »

This observation room is quite interesting but I think we're going to need a general overview of what we have in the ship, Also that plasma rifle is probs more useful on me and my holodisplay watch on you"
Trade the wrist watch with Dr. Roboson for the plasma rifle and ammo. Go on myself alone prioritizing finding any Armory, Weapons Room, and Barrack this ship may or may not have
(Seems you mention me in two places at the same time, not that I'm flattered, but I believe when it says "Adrihel looks for the interface" that it's supposed to be Holland)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:58:55 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 07:07:26 pm »

"Don't worry, guys, I'm here to help!"

Load the portable generator into the shuttle. Fly it over to a hole that's closer to the engineering section. If there isn't one, make one (preferably in an unimportant room or hallway). Carry the portable generator the rest of the way to the engineering room.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 07:11:01 pm »

Once the generator is here, help the engineer hook it up to the reactor.

"Thank you Hackerman."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »

(Sorry Lorknis, I've already take orange for my character's voice).

This room will do wonderfully for a lab area, if I get the opportunity to make use of it.

Take note of how I got to the observatory, then continue on exploring.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 09:16:44 pm »

(Sorry Lorknis, I've already take orange for my character's voice).

This room will do wonderfully for a lab area, if I get the opportunity to make use of it.

Take note of how I got to the observatory, then continue on exploring.
(Whoops, forgot about. Force of habit)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 4
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »

I made some changes to Known Systems. System status is now represented by the color of the entire thing. It should be more uniform and easier to decipher now.
Also, power usage and generation rates are subject to extreme tweaking. I'll try not to have the noticeable effects change too much so you probably don't need to worry about Life Support shutting down in the middle of a firefight, but I still want to let everyone know.

Update 4

"Hackerman" unplugs the generator, causing the entire bridge to shut down. He hoists it onto his back and brings it to the shuttle which is promptly launched out through the opening.
About 10 minutes later, the shuttle enters a newly-found hull opening next to engineering. The opening is surprisingly both conveniently close to Engineering and the shuttle fits in very snugly. The portable generator is hauled to the Reactor Room and plugged into the interface. The power usage is nearly unnoticeable, but still helpful.
The holodisplays across the gigantic chamber light up with information about the status of the reactors. The three people in the room scramble to try and decipher any possible information.

Bracken almost immediately determines that the Primary Reactor is busted. It looks like it suffered a near-meltdown at some point. The containment shielding is almost nonexistent, and the catalyst - probably the most important (and expensive) part of the reactor - is gone. Fixing the Primary Reactor would require a lot of expensive materials. Bracken, along without everyone else, knew that they could never fix the Reactor with their own supplies.
Another holodisplay displays the power usage and statistics of systems on the ship. For some reason, it can't index the ship's systems itself, but when systems are manually added to it, it tracks their power usage. Holland inputs the known systems and the power usage of each one is returned.

"Hackerman", however, is more focused on the auxiliary reactors. After some tinkering with a different Holodisplay, a distinct rumble can be heard and some smaller lights turn on across the room. Investigation shows that one of the two auxiliary reactors in the room, "Auxiliary Reactor 2", looks to be online. The power usage interface dings (not that anyone could hear it through the vacuum) as it automatically routes the power to the known systems in order of priority. Bracken observes over comms that the power from the Portable Generator is routed across the ship.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ship, both Adrihel and Dr. Roboson are still at the observation room. The two exchange their loot, the doctor specifically remembers how he got there, and the two split up.
Adrihel spends a while walking through the center of the ship before he stumbles across a foreboding door labeled "ARMORY ONE". He tries to get it open, but the doors appear to be more secure than the other ones the party has encountered.

The Doctor, however, finds a much more open-able door at the front starboard section of the ship with the label of "HANGAR TWO". He opens it with little effort and takes a few moments to gather in his surroundings. Contrary to what the doctor expected, the hangar blast door was closed, and unfortunately there didn't seem to be any docked craft. Some kind of raised control room was present on the wall facing the blast door, and had a small staircase going up to it.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
- -
(No one at Bridge)
Known Systems
The number at the front in [brackets] represents the power usage or generation when active. Blue indicates the system is currently online and producing power. Green indicates that the system is online. Gray indicates the system is currently offline. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
USED POWER: 16/32

[+200]  Primary Reactor  [BROKEN - CONTAINMENT BREACH, CATALYST MISSING]
[+30]  Auxiliary Reactor 1  [UNKNOWN]
[+30]  Auxiliary Reactor 2
[-10]  Life Support  [BROKEN]
[-30]  Auxiliary Forward Thrusters  [NO POWER]
[-15]  Sensors 
[-1]  Bridge Control Systems 
[+2]  Portable Generator
Notable Areas
- Hull Opening 1 (A moderately-sized opening in the hole near the bridge that was used to dock the shuttle at.)
- Observation Room (A large mostly-glass observation room fairly close to the bridge. Has plenty of storage, an office-like workspace, and a large multi-use holotable in the center. Plenty of surfaces to use for just about anything.)
- Hangar 2 (A large, empty hangar. Closed blast doors. Raised control room on center of wall facing hangar opening.)
- Armory 1 (Secure door - Unknown interior. Along the center portion of the ship close to the front.)
- Hull Opening 2 (A small hull opening in an otherwise empty room. Just barely fits the Dove Transport Shuttle. Located near Engineering.)
- Reactor Room (A huge room housing the primary reactor as well as several auxiliary reactors. Located at the rear side of the ship next to other engineering rooms, far away from the bridge.)
Assets
- "Dove" Long-Range Transport Shuttle [At: Hull Opening 2] (Capacity: 6)
- Portable Generator [At: Reactor Room] (Provides +3 power)

- 13u Patchwork Repair Supplies (Supplies commonly carried on military ship for temporary field repairs.)
- 5u Spare Electronics

The Team
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:00 pm »

"Yep, this shieet is broke"

Check the Aux. reactors and see what's need to start it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:06:11 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »

"Now would be a great time for a crowbar or sledgehammer now wouldn't it?"
After making a sarcastic remark to myself, bash the door in with a few times with rifle bashes, charge into the door a several times trying to pry it open, and than if this all doesn't work than try to see if I can reload my rifle and preferably at a safe distance shoot only one blast of plasma at the door. Explore armory if any of these results were successful
(Let's hope that I'm not a idiot and crack my suit and die from asphyxiation)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 11:06:58 pm »

Over the comms: I've located a hanger with some large blast doors, someone may want to bring the dove around and put her in an actual hanger.
Approach the controls and see if I can get the blast doors open, then continue looking for loot see if I can locate hanger 1 and the general exploring. 

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 5
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »

Let me know if any part of the information ship status/information section is hard to read or seems overly complex. The goal of it is to efficiently parse information to readers, after all.

Update 5

At the large (mostly) empty room of Hangar 2, Dr. Roboson navigates the staircase to the control room. He finds a series of deactivated holodisplays. After some finagling with the manual restart switches, some of that newfangled power from Auxilliary Reactor 2 is automatically routed to the Hangar 2 control room, allowing the lights and displays to all turn on at once in a rather nice display.

Back at the Reactor Room, the Power Control interface makes another muted beep as it adds a new power system - Auxiliary Systems - to the list.

After the interfaces come online for the Hangar 2 control room, opening the blast doors proves to be an easy task. Something else catches the doctor's eyes, though. While the blast doors slowly open, a faint energy shield flickers on. Atmospheric containment shields used in situations like these are well-known, but they're almost entirely limited to military ships.

Another (silent) ding from the Power Control interface with yet another system being shuffled into the index.

Satisfied with his actions here, the doctor departs the Hangar in search of Hangar 1. He figures that the port side of the ship is a good place to start looking.

Bracken, over at the Reactor Room, along with that annoying flashing Power Control thing, quickly locates and walks over to Auxiliary Reactor 1. With no effort he brings up the diagnostic screen of the reactor and does some quick investigation.
NO CONNECTION TO OVERLOAD CAPACITOR
The engineer glances over at the object in question. Some minor damage, likely from some kind of projectile, is present on the exterior.

Some number of minutes later, Dr. Roboson arrives at Hangar 1. Silently commending himself for locating it so easily, he opens the door. A beautiful sight lies before him - some obvious kind of military fighter lies seemingly undamaged secured to the small docking clamps present in the hangar.
Roboson also notes an open blast door and otherwise all the features are the same as Hangar 2. It also looks like the hangar has power as well, since the lights are all on and the atmospheric shielding is up. Activating power to Hangar 2 probably also activated Hangar 1.

Meanwhile, Adrihel finds himself denting his rifle (and dignity) after repeated bashes to the secure door of the armory. Annoyed, he carefully reloads his artifact of a plasma rifle, takes a safe distance away, and fires.
At Hangar 2, the doctor feels the floor under his feet vibrate.
Adrihel is thrown away by his rifle exploding in his hands and violently collides with the wall behind him.

He carefully picks himself up. A sigh of relief is let out w-
At this moment, Adrihel realizes he has a crack in his helmet. A really big one.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
- -
(No one at Bridge)
Known Systems
The number at the front in [brackets] represents the power usage or generation when active. Blue indicates the system is currently online and producing power. Green indicates that the system is online. Gray indicates the system is currently offline. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
USED POWER: 20/32

[+200]  Primary Reactor  [BROKEN - CONTAINMENT BREACH, CATALYST MISSING]
[+30]  Auxiliary Reactor 1  [UNKNOWN]
[+30]  Auxiliary Reactor 2
[+2]  Portable Generator
[-10]  Life Support  [BROKEN]
[-4]  Atmospheric Containment Shielding
[-30]  Auxiliary Forward Thrusters  [NO POWER]
[-15]  Sensors 
[-2]  Auxiliary Systems
Notable Areas
- Hull Opening 1 (A moderately-sized opening in the hole near the bridge that was used to dock the shuttle at.)
- Hangar 1 (A large hangar with atmospheric shielding when powered. Blast doors. Raised control room on center of wall facing hangar opening. Located on the front half of the ship, starboard side.)
- Hangar 2 (A large hangar with atmospheric shielding when powered. Raised control room on center of wall facing hangar opening. Located on the front half of the ship, starboard side.)
- Armory 1 (Secure door - Unknown interior. Along the center portion of the ship close to the front.)
- Hull Opening 2 (A small hull opening in an otherwise empty room. Just barely fits the Dove Transport Shuttle. Located near Engineering.)
Assets
- "Dove" Long-Range Transport Shuttle [At: Hull Opening 2] (Capacity: 6)
- Unknown Fighter (At: Hangar 1)

- Portable Generator [At: Reactor Room] (Provides +3 power)

- 5u Spare Electronics

The Team

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »

Over comms: Uhhhhh, what was that? The whole ship shook.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »

"Pretty sure it wasn't me. I think." Bracken says

Bracken heads to the bridge and try to see if the ship has any self-diagnosis programs.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »

Seeing no response, Dr. Roboson examines the Unknown Fighter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4