Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 7  (Read 3428 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: The Derelict [5/4]
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 02:17:29 pm »

Name: Amber Birthwright
Previous Profession/Occupation: Magaton Transport Pilot. Outer-rim deliveries. Delivery runs in the far off colonies.
Skill: Improvisation

Background: Loves dance music and to dance. A loner and spent enough time doing delivery runs as an independent contractor, that she is very self motivated. About 30yo
Motivation: Trying a new career. Learn the trade.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 03:04:19 pm »

Name: Dr. Roboson
Previous Profession/Occupation: Scientist
Skill: Medical

Background: Dr. Roboson was a scientist who specialized in researching extraterrestrial lifeforms, especially for medical and scientific advancement. However, when one of his experiments destroyed a lab, and most of the people inside of it, he was fired.
Motivation: Discovery.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:03:02 pm by Roboson »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:49:34 pm »

PTW
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/4] - Update 1
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 07:51:39 pm »

That'll do fine, Roboson. And Roseheart, you'll be added to the waitlist.
In interest of quickly starting the game, I'll be making an update with the given actions now. They're all fairly minor so nothing huge should happen before someone has a chance to react.
Just a few reminders before starting:
  • There will be no separate IC/OOC threads - Post your actions in one post, bolded, and can have RP stuff anywhere you like and as much RP stuff as you like.
  • Updates will be made without everyone' actions, but I'll likely try to get everyone's actions before major things.
  • Game mechanics are subject to change. Right now the most "fickle" one is the rolling/"determination" system. There's a minor chance I may get rid of it if I don't feel it's working out, but feel free to give feedback in the meantime.
  • It's partially up to you to create the story. I'll "forcibly" move you along if I must, but I want to keep it more organic if possible.

Update 1
While most of the team lingers around the bridge, Holland and "Hackerman" get to work.

Holland makes his way to an interface off to the side of the bridge. Last week this interface was one of the terminals to be restored to proper functionality. A hidden label below the interface projector reads "ARCHIVES". Holland brings up the holodisplay with ease, and begins manipulating it. Errors begin to crowd the screen, forcing the operator to concentrate harder.
Eventually, Holland begins to get somewhere. He find out that this ship's version of a black box basically ran out of battery. Normally, this wouldn't happen, but perhaps the sheer length of this ship's inactivity combined with some damage before its abandoning could have caused it.

Holland elects to walk through the center of the bridge to a more central and larger console with the remnants of a seat placed behind it. He carefully sits down and brings up the holodisplay.
ERROR: Insufficient power to Sensor Array to activate.

Meanwhile, "Hackerman" walks over to a holodisplay with determination. He begins operating the interface before a large error appears in the holodisplay before him.
ERROR: Cannot upload navigational data to server: No server detected.
"Hackerman" appears unphased by this, and continues operating the holodisplay. Without avail.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
Navigation NOT RESPONDING
Propulsion NOT RESPONDING
Weapons NOT RESPONDING
> _

Known Systems
The number in [brackets] represents the power usage. Blue represents a current usage/production of power. Gray represents that the system is not creating or consuming any power. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
[-??] [BROKEN]   Life Support - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER]   Auxiliary Forward Thrusters - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER] Sensors - Offline
[-2]   Bridge Control Systems - Online
[+3]   Portable Generator - Online

The Team
Spoiler: ATHATH - "Hackerman" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roboson - Dr. Roboson (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 1
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 08:10:35 pm »

Explore the ship. Dr. Roboson explores the dusty halls of the ship looking for objects and areas of interest. He considers making a map later once the ship has been fully explored.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »

Explore along with Dr Roboson on the ship, searching for the life support room and for the general barracks for the ship. Also, look for an armory as well in this ships since it would be very helpful at the moment. (I believe since that I have experience with security that I should be leading the exploration efforts)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:35:14 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »

Holland will attempt to pull up any old maps of the ship that might be on the consoles in the bridge. He'll also see if the ships intercomm system is online so he can make announcements to the team while they explore.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »

((Is a waitlist position of any meaning? This doesn't seem like the kind of game someone would host again.))

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »

The waitlist is in case there's ever an empty spot. Meaning if someone drops out (either by "quitting" the game or getting their character killed) or if I ever raise the max number of players, you'll be the first to get in.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 11:30:51 pm »

Explore around on my own, trying to find any storage closets.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 2
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 02:05:25 am »

Please let me know if any of you think the updates are too fast. Right now I'm deciding to go with a more "adaptive" update period. Since none of these actions have any huge consequences, it shouldn't be a problem for these kinds of updates.
Also, tip: I really do not recommend trying to completely map out the derelict before doing anything else. It is massive, and you'll be finding out new things about it throughout the course of the game.

Update 2
The derelict seemed absolutely massive.
It was almost a legend. Scavengers tell tales of "that" ship. Rumors of which ship graveyards it was at were scoured through in this team's attempt to find it. The particular "intelligence" that led to this location was quite the ordeal to get, but in the end they found the ship and were standing in it. Yet exploring the ship itself seemed a harder task than finding it in the first place.
The team had traveled here in a cheap shuttle full of engineering supplies for the basic recovery operation. It was located in a opening (assumed to be a hangar) next to the bridge for easy access to any materials or tools needed.

"Hackerman" continues operating the same holodisplay without further success and Holland scurries about the ship looking for various holodisplays, and the rest of the team departs through the bridge's main entrance and exit. Two of them - Dr. Roboson and Adrihel - left together, while Bracken left by himself.
While the exploring groups make their way through the winding corridors, Holland manages to pinpoint the holodisplay that appeared to contain a map of the ship - the Archive terminal. The same terminal, unfortunately, that was deemed to be essentially broken a few minutes ago. Whatever non-emergency data that was here was lost long-ago. Even the emergency information is lost to the ages. But unwilling to be fettered by this setback, Holland continues his work. He walks over to another central terminal where he does a few swipes of his gloved hand. The intercom does look like it's still working, but there is a problem. The intercom of this ship, like nearly every other vessel in existence, is designed to work assuming a ship filled with air. The derelict ship's complete lack of air would make transmitting audio through the intercom impossible.
Luckily, the teammembers all have functional radios integrated in their EVA suits that allow for short-range communication that should work across the ship.

Meanwhile, Dr. Roboson and Adrihel trudge through the halls of the ship. They don't get too far before the doctor notes a door labeled "EMG. STORAGE". The duo pries open the door to reveal a small closet containing several items.
The first is some kind of weapon. It looks plasma-based in design but almost appears to be falling apart at the seams. It probably was a standard-issue weapon back when it was in active use, but obviously hasn't aged well or suffered some serious damage before being left here. A faint label on it reads "CABLISON" and it looks like a standard rifle. Some similarly-labeled plasma ammunition lies on the flooring next to it.
The closet is otherwise filled with useless junk, but Adrihel spots something before the two give up. It looks like a small wrist-mounted holodisplay. It won't turn on, though.

Bracken, also exploring, finds his own storage closet. He pries it open and finds what was basically an indentation into the wall with some shelving. The shelves are filled to the brim with 3 units of Patchwork Repair Supplies. Nothing else could even fit in these shelves.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
Navigation  ...  NOT RESPONDING
Propulsion   ...  NOT RESPONDING
Weapons  ...  NOT RESPONDING

Intercom  ...  ONLINE
> _

Known Systems
The number in [brackets] represents the power usage. Blue represents a current usage/production of power. Gray represents that the system is not creating or consuming any power. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
[-??] [BROKEN]   Life Support - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER]   Auxiliary Forward Thrusters - Offline
[-??] [NO POWER] Sensors - Offline
[-2]   Bridge Control Systems - Online
[+3]   Portable Generator - Online
Assets
- "Dove" Long-Range Transport Shuttle [Capacity: 6]
- 13u Patchwork Repair Supplies (Supplies commonly carried on military ship for temporary field repairs.)
- 5u Spare Electronics
- Extremely Shoddy "CABLISON" Plasma Rifle [0/10]
- - 2 "CABLISON" Plasma Charges (One plasma charge completely refills a plasma weapon)
- Nonfunctioning Wrist Holodisplay

The Team
Spoiler: ATHATH - "Hackerman" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roboson - Dr. Roboson (click to show/hide)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 03:11:55 am »

Pick up  the plasma rifle and the charges. I'm sure Adrihel will get a kick out of this. It's positively ancient. Continue exploring, keeping eyes open for an infirmary, lab, or life support area specifically, but investigate everything of interest.

(I like the fast flexible updates, especially now as we're just exploring and such)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 05:00:33 am »

Swipe and pick the Wrist Holodisplay and than continue exploring with Dr. Roboson. Trade the holodsillau for the plasma rifle and its ammunition
(It seems I'm the only one on here that doesn't have a EVA Suit lol)
"Don't worry, I'm just natural attuned to people not noticing me"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:38:54 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 04:02:19 pm »

(I'm so dumb, I didn't realize who I was exploring with  :P)

Ill trade you, an ancient rifle for broken holodisplay. Sound fair?

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 04:17:23 pm »

"Well son of a bitch, looks like we'll be needing to restart the engines before we make anymore progress here." Holland says over the radio as he approaches the hallway leading out of the bridge. He then decides to try and find Bracken to try and team up with him so they can restart the engines.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4