Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Derelict [5/5] - Update 7  (Read 3427 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
The Derelict [5/5] - Update 7
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:58:13 pm »

The scavengers carefully walked through the halls of the airless derelict, observing the scars and artifacts accrued over what could had been decades of use. The frequent obstacle was cut away with industrial-grade equipment as they made their way to the bridge. After the last powerless door was pried open, the bridge finally become visible.
An expansive chamber with the front-facing wall seemingly missing. Shards of military-grade glass lied motionless by this non-present exterior.

One of them took something off their back and let it float in the space beside the team. Another dragged a thick cable through the bridge to a forgotten slot, and plugged it in. A switch on the floating object is turned on, causing it to start to whir and glow. A holograsphic display flickers above the terminal adjacent to the plug, and someone clumsily runs to it. They plug in a smaller device which begins displaying its own holographic interface. The explorer begins operating the interface while the rest of the team gets to work restoring the bridge, and eventually the ship.

The Derelict

A week passes and the derelict is a step closer to being functional. Prelimary expeditions further into the massive ship have located two systems of note: A shuttle trip to the back of the derelict located a functioning set of thrusters. They only moved the ship forwards and weren't even the primary thrusters, but they were still predicted to work given power. Life Support was found using some clever navigation through the maze-like halls, but it was very clearly nearly destroyed. The cause of its destruction was, like the rest of the space hulk, unknown.
The rest of the week was spent restoring the various systems around the bridge and fully hooking up the portable generator to the local bridge power systems. No problems were encountered, allowing the crew to move forward with their plans.

Ship Status
Bridge Control Systems
Navigation NOT RESPONDING
Propulsion NOT RESPONDING
Weapons NOT RESPONDING
> _

Known Systems
The number in [brackets] represents the power usage. Blue represents a current usage/production of power. Gray represents that the system is not creating or consuming any power. Bracketed phrases in red or orange indicate issues with the system.
[-??] [NO POWER]   Auxiliary Forward Thrusters - Offline
[-??] [BROKEN]   Life Support - Offline
[-2]   Bridge Control Systems - Online
[+3]   Portable Generator - Online

What is this?
A MP sci-fi game inspired by "Design an Old Spaceship" (now "Design the Titan's Drifter"), but not based on it. The players are the new crew of a particularly large derelict ship located in a junkyard. The gameplay is primarily based around operating the ship, exploring it, and general sci-fi shenanigans.
I will state now that the story is very flexible. It's almost entirely based around the players' own decisions regarding their motivations and backgrounds if given, as well as actions made by players throughout the course of the game. So players will have a large role in shaping the story. Or in other words, this is in a way a sandbox where you, the players, make their story.
I will also admit that I am quite bad with multiplayer games, to avoid any sort of potential disappointment. Turns will ideally be kept to no more than one per day at the most, and will not require the input of every player in most situations. But I can't guarantee anything in particular regarding turn/update format and similar issues.

Sign-up Sheet
Code: [Select]
Name: (Your character's name)
Previous Profession/Occupation: (Doesn't /have/ to be a strict "job" - this is just what your character did before meeting up with the rest of the team and finding the derelict. Should be no more than a very short sentence.)
Skill: (Somewhat optional - Some slightly specific area your character is good at. How are they contributing to this little expedition?)

Background: (OPTIONAL - just a general background of your character. If you choose to have one, it can be long or brief as you want. Keep your character human and their background mostly moderate/slightly-soft sci-fi.)
Motivation: (Why your character decided to find the derelict ship - what goal do they have in life and how does this ship help them towards that end?)

Accepted Characters
Spoiler: ATHATH - "Hackerman" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roboson - Dr. Roboson (click to show/hide)
Waitlist
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:14:37 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [0/4]
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:30:04 am »

Spoiler: Adrihel Lasen (click to show/hide)
This work almighty GM?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:37:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:46:29 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [1/4]
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:38 am »

Spoiler: Adrihel Lasen (click to show/hide)
This work almighty GM?
That's great, yeah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Background: (OPTIONAL - just a general background of your character. If you choose to have one, it can be long or brief as you want. Keep your character human and their background mostly moderate/slightly-soft sci-fi.)
Motivation should also be more open-ended (think of it as more of an aspiration/overall long-term goal), and the name could be a bit more serious. It's fine other than that, though. I'd also just like to note that the "human" requirement doesn't mean "100% purebred human" if that means anything to you or anyone else.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:46:49 am »

I think I've fixed my sheet.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:53:22 am »

Name: Holland Sheldrake
Previous Profession/Occupation: Navigations Officer
Skill: Piloting

Background: An navigator for a mining company, he left the company to pursue other passions.
Motivation: He's always wanted his own ship, and when the ship is finally fixed he'll be able to explore uncharted space.

Edited. I hope this one is a bit better.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:23:21 am by Lorknis »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:57:39 am »

Will post a sheet in the morning.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:58:34 am »

Name: Bracken O'Hare
Previous Profession/Occupation: Engineer?
Skill: Electrical Engineering

Background: Bracken spends so much of his time drunk out of his mind that he has a lot of trouble remembering where he's been. He's not even sure where he is much less than why.
Motivation: Bracken came onto the ship drunken out of his mind. He expects to leave slightly drunker and much more richer.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Derelict [5/4]
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:13:22 am »

I think I've fixed my sheet.
Got it. Accepted.

Will post a sheet in the morning.
You're holding 4th spot right now but if you don't post it tomorrow Yottawhat will get in ahead of you.

Name: Holland Sheldrake
Previous Profession/Occupation: Engineer
Skill: Repair/Engineering

Background: An ex-engineer for a mining company, he left the company to pursue other passions.
Motivation: He's always wanted his own ship, so he may as well repair one and use that.
Name: Bracken O'Hare
Previous Profession/Occupation: Engineer?
Skill: Electrical Engineering

Background: Bracken spends so much of his time drunk out of his mind that he has a lot of trouble remembering where he's been. He's not even sure where he is much less than why.
Motivation: Bracken came onto the ship drunken out of his mind. He expects to leave slightly drunker and much more richer.
Lorknis: Perhaps (not a must) a more goal-oriented motivation? The motivation is essentially what long term goal you have that the ship works for. The first part is fine, but some more in terms of long-term goals would help me with the story.
Yottawhat: You are the 5th person posting, but chances are I'll probably allow you in and just expand the max players to 5. This isn't an absolute guarantee, but it's pretty likely. If Roboson doesn't post his character sheet tomorrow, then you're automatically in before him.
Lorknis and Yottawhat: One or both of you could potentially diversify your skill/likely role a bit. It's 100% fine as is and you definitely don't have to change anything, but a hacker, a security officer, and two engineers won't have the absolute best time trying to fly a ship. It could even make it more interesting, but I'm just letting both of you know.

Everyone else: feel free to still post your character sheet for a waitlist.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:24:50 am »

I think we miiiiight need a pilot for a game that revolves around a spaceship.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:26:04 am »

I think we miiiiight need a pilot for a game that revolves around a spaceship.
Well I edited my character sheet to be a pilot. I promise to avoid large chunks of rock at 50km/s.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 01:36:55 am »

Check to see if this ship has any drones. If so, reactivate them.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:40:10 am »

Well since I'm probably sitting at the bridge tapping at a console, I may as well attempt to access some information like what the ship is called, any audio logs or perhaps orders the ship had, and see if the ships sensors are online.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 01:05:39 pm »

What positions are left?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 01:48:26 pm »

There are no specific positions - just have your character be good at whatever you'd think would work out the best or be the most entertaining. Besides, characters aren't locked to any specific thing - their skill is there just to show what your character is best at st the moment.
I'd be okay with any arrangement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4