Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 285

Author Topic: Tengoku no Owari SI IC: Yuki Is (Not) Fine  (Read 223586 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Faith
After a few unsuccessful shields that kinda just broke, it sorta works? Instead of the entire shield discharging, the bullet punches a hole through it and pings off the metal as you reshape it to fill the hole. There is one fairly clear problem that occurs to you - the damage mitigated here is proportional to the discharged shield, which in turn is proportional to the cross section of the projectile, meaning its defensive capabilities is rather limited in most cases.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"We're going to do multiple shots now. Get ready." Faith's method would be significantly less useful than what they were being taught if it was not effective against multiple projectiles, and what better way to test that possible limitation than to try it out? Either she'd succeed or she'd fail. And both would be informative.

Shef raised the heavy pistol, and pulled the trigger three times, a second elapsing between each shot, each aimed at the same general location.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

"Aaaah….alright. Let's go.....Ren, right?"
Minato says as he steps over towards Ren.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minato
"At your service!"

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

The teeth on the chainsaw bit into the plate, scraping chunks off of the surface until it finally managed to chew all the way through and tear the thing in half while Noriko held it. It was a bit unnerving, really, even knowing that Yuki meant no harm. Had she always been this. . . scary? She dropped both halves of the ruined plate, picking up another. Focusing on it for a moment, she tried to put energy into it much as she had done with a few other things by instinct. Something felt slightly off, but then she imagined doing so with her winds instead of her hands (weird, because it usually worked the other way) and it felt like it clicked into place. "Alright, Yuki, hit me again."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

<”Hawawaitaminute I wasn’t done—“> BANG, BANG, BANG! Faith opened her eyes, which had been shut tightly, to see her shield with three bullet-sized holes in it and the metal plate insufficiently protected — crumpled and rent by the force from the bullets. Though the shield had held against each bullet, the protection it offered hadn’t been enough to prevent damage from each.

”Um... o-okay, uh, let me try to alter this a bit then...” Gulping because she was suddenly much more nervous, Faith concentrated and tried to make the shield on the next plate act a bit more like a physical object, trying to get it to buckle when shot to take some more force than it was now.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Good job, you're not dead. You have anyway to make the shield repair the holes? I could--probably--put two bullets through the same hole."

He lowered the weapon, flicking the safety back on. He'd surprised her a bit, put her off guard. That was as intended, something to get used to, if slowly. And Shef knew that he himself needed to get better at it, always. So perhaps, just maybe, when it came time for his practice, Faith would do him the same favor of unexpected attacks that he might not be quite ready for.

When she was ready, he'd fire a single shot.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Faith
You were not feeling confident about this one, you were trying, by god you were trying, but willpower ain't everything. Shield stops the bullet completely, but after that it's gone. It was a sphere of energy ready to discharge just like all the rest.

"Would you like some help?"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Yuki nodded enthusiastically, making sure the chainsaw was going at the appropriate power again. "You can do it! I believe in you!" Yuki said, entirely overdramatic as she brought her weapon down on the plate once more.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yuki and Noriko
Sparks fly, metal groans, the plate holds. For now at least. With more energy Yuki may be able to cleave through it all the same, but it'd slow her down.

This was it, Reinforcement, magic that asserts the existence of the mundane.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Faith let out a frustrated sigh as her attempt to build on her progress failed spectacularly. Then, she heard a voice behind her, and her mouth quirked into a frown as she turned to look at and reply to its owner. ”Yeah... unless that help involves that... stuff before. I said I wanted to have a talk about that and I meant it.”

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Faith
"What are you trying to achieve?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Minato
"At your service!"
Minato nods, looking at the plate as he picks it up.
"Alright. How will this work? What am I supposed to do, exactly? I just reinforce this until you can't break it, no catches?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since they didn’t appear to be trying to shove the tomes on her again, Faith’s expression relaxed. ”Well, uh, the normal thing that I can do is make shields which absorb one shot and break in the process — I was trying to get a more armor-like effect by making something that can absorb multiple hits at the cost of absorbing less. But what I got wasn’t quite powerful enough since only the area directly struck was discharged. I tried to make it, like... buckle, when shot to fix that, but it just didn’t work at all.”

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minato
"Almost! We're first going to make sure you can reinforce it, then we'll try to get you to do it from range. We can worry about speed and power when you've got the basics down!"

Faith
"I see... If you will permit us to hazard a guess, we would say that your problems come from you thinking of it as a physical barrier rather than one formed of energy. It's reasonable for a physical shield to ablate or buckle, but combat data indicates your is something that discharges. It breaks in a single hit because it discharges completely irrespective of the attack's power. So it may help instead to think of your shield as a circuit connected to a power supply. When an attack touches it, the circuit is completed, and the entire power supply discharges. Imagine then, a version that only discharges a fixed amount of power each time and try working from there"
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 285