Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 285

Author Topic: Tengoku no Owari SI IC: Yuki Is (Not) Fine  (Read 222657 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Tengoku no Owari SI IC
« Reply #4140 on: March 08, 2021, 10:13:15 pm »

It was if that phrase sent a bolt of lightning through Noriko. She stood up in a flash, pushing the table aside and grabbing Minato by the collar. "What the fuck do you mean, 'headshot thing?' The part where I got shot and then slammed into a tunnel with enough force to obliterate a normal person on impact, and then you ignored me to go soothe the pretty blonde with big tits. You remember that?" Noriko shook Minato by the collar once, only a faint voice in the back of her mind telling her to stop before she blew their cover entirely. "Did you think I just forgot? Do you care that little?" The voice grew louder, but the pressure of suppressed frustration and hurt over months and years slammed it backward before it had a chance to do anything.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: March 08, 2021, 10:26:32 pm »

Minato, of course, drops his phone in the chaos, losing whatever reading he might have gotten.

Briefly shocked, he glares right back at Noriko, but he doesn't make a move to pull her off his collar.
"What the hell, Noriko? Yeah, I remember! I was asking because I wasn't paying attention!"

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4142 on: March 08, 2021, 11:18:01 pm »

"Yeah, you wouldn't, would you?" Her voice continued to rise. "Don't you have anything better to say for yourself?" Strain entered her tone, and with it the air almost seemed to thicken. "You weren't paying attention. Do you have any idea how much that hurt? How terrified I was? Of course not, you were too busy 'being a better person than I thought you were.' Fuck one of your only friends, there's another damsel in distress to save." It was almost unmistakable at that point; Minato could feel a slight pressure coming from everywhere around him at once. "God damn it, I thought you were better than that!"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: March 09, 2021, 12:40:48 am »

Faith and Yuki
So Yuki takes the lead and walks straight straight past the guard and up the stairs to the VIP section. He had made an attempt to bar her entry, first with his arm, then with his voice. Yet his complaints fall on deaf ears and it is only by physically grabbing her arm that he is able to halt her "rightful" ascent.

It is only then that she acknowledges his presence. She turns her head, gaze absolutely glacial. Her expression was not hostile, but only because such is reserved for people. The look she gave his was not for a person. It was for trash, scum, filth. A lowly insolent impediment that didn't know its place.

She demanded to know the meaning behind this, not that she gave him any chance to respond, swiftly moving into a tirade that insulted not only his intelligence but that also the general competence his colleagues and really just the establishment as a whole.

Whatever the guard was going to say, he opts to leave unsaid, deciding that if some spoiled brat was going to throw a tantrum, it wouldn't be on his head, instead opting to speak a half-hearted "stay put" as he moves to confer with someone actually paid to deal with this bullshit.

The pair reach the VIP scene just in time to see the positively scandalous lover's quarrel that is... wait isn't that Minato and Noriko?

That's uh, certainly one way to pull a distraction.

Shef
You shoot off your text and look up to see uh... is that Noriko's Requiem? Why is she using it already and why on Minato?

Minato and Noriko
There's a crash. Put of the corner of your eye you see a member of staff previously holding a cake and bottle or champagne. Both are now scattered across the floor. Awkward.

More awkward though are the stares of everyone in the general area. Including Hanzo, and some of the Hunters. You see one of the Hunters reach into their jacket. A detonator most likely. They're on guard but right now they're not sure you're gunning for Hanzo.

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Enemy Positions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventories (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 01:31:33 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Tengoku no Owari SI IC: This is Fine
« Reply #4144 on: March 09, 2021, 01:03:44 am »

Faith didn't have to try very hard to blend in, with the current context - all she had to do was stare awkwardly in complete silence.

Which she did.

A lot.

She really wasn't sure if this was some sort of distraction or not, so all she could really do was stare transfixed.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 09, 2021, 03:14:13 am »

Kouta
It was strange you had thought, that the van's doors were positioned so close to driver side seat.

Today was Ryoichi's birthday. Rarely are you invited to parties, but today was one of the exceptions. Laser tag, a fair bit different from playing Ring as you quickly learned. Far fewer weapons for one. Much more tiring too. Or so you heard. You hadn't felt the same fatigue, maybe it was the excitement of all. Or maybe it was from the operation. Maybe you really are that little bit more like your sister now.

Not enough to stop what followed though. You were all heading back to the car, huddled under Mrs. Kato's umbrella when you noticed the van. It had been parked rather close to the car, close enough that the group had to spread a bit out to squeeze through the gap. You had stepped out into the rain.

There wasn't enough space for everyone really, besides you're pretty sure you couldn't really catch a cold anymore. Not a regular cold anymore.

Then you saw the door slide open. You saw a flash of blue and heard a muffled scream. Snatched into the van. Mrs Kato and all your friends. Tires catch the rain soaked pavement. In seconds they will be gone. Perhaps forever.

You do not have the power to save them. You are not your sister. Sisters. But you have your contingency charm. It should have enough energy to keep you, well, maybe not safe, but alive. Will that be enough? Your thoughts escape you. There is no time. Now even now the van is moving. Pulling way. Away. Out of your reach. If you do not catch it now you never will.

Will you catch it? Can you catch it? You haven't the time to tell, only to act.

How will you act?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: March 09, 2021, 04:37:58 am »

At the mention of "only friend", Minato very distinctly looks betrayed.

He pauses, before continuing, as if considering what, exactly, he intends to say.

Alternatively, he's wanted to say this for a very long time, and he's trying to get his words together in a way that makes sense.
"Yeah, you're right, you are one of my only friends. And so are Yuki and Faith. And you know what? I thought that one of my only friends would trust me a little more. I thought that one of my only friends would understand that yes, I can screw up massively, because I'm not the smartest person. I know that I've done you wrong Noriko, and for that, I am very genuinely sorry, even if you won't believe me right now, or ever, and I don't care if you don't. Because you're very right, you ARE one of my only friends and I do care about your wellbeing and I do want the best for you even I don't know HOW to do it, no matter how much shallow or stupid you think I am. Like every stupid and vapid wannabe popular girl who thinks she'll get free money out of me if she smiles cutely, compliments me and offers me actual friendship like I'm the one in distress. Because that's all I am to you right now, isn't it? Some dumb rich kid playing hero who wants a damsel in distress who couldn't possibly understand actual pain or actual hardship. You know, like I am to everybody else. But, you being one of my only friends, you should know that, shouldn't you? Because I'm such a dumb rich kid, I couldn't possibly understand what being lonely and alone feels like, right? I don't have many friends but all this fucking money makes it all better, right?"

The tone of Minato's voice lowers and clearly becomes more and more furious, the sort of tone he generally reserved for the sort of people he was about to evict out of a room by way of the nearest window.

"And yes, because you're one of my only friends, you think I haven't wanted to bring you into this part of my life for years? I dreamt about it a couple of times, you know. You, me and Yuki, seeing Aethertide together. You, me and Yuki, fighting bad guys together. So I wouldn't have to do it all or see this all without being able to tell my only friends about it. I know, you've been dealing with this your whole life, and it doesn't compare, and for that, I'm sorry again. But you think I don't know anything? I get shot in the head on an almost nightly basis. I put my life on the line on an almost nightly basis. I've taken so many hard beatings and shots on so many levels. And I couldn't even tell you about it because I didn't even goddamn know you knew. If I'd known, I wouldn't have left you alone in the dark. You don't trust that I would, but I wouldn't have. Because I do want to be a better person than you think I am."

He shoves Noriko's hand off of his collar.

"Could I even tell you that members of my family died doing this kinda thing, that my own grandmother died doing this? No. Could I tell you that some jackass broke into my house, tried to kill me, and the first time I ever even used my powers was to fight that jackass and protect myself from someone who wanted me dead probably for something I hadn't even been born for? No, I couldn't tell you. I couldn't tell my only friends about the fact that I almost died, and I couldn't tell my only friends about the fact that I put myself out there every night to stop the same kind of thing that happened to you and me from happening to other people. There was so much I couldn't tell you."

He takes in a breath as he begins to calm down, realising he'd messed up.
"I hoped that my only friends would trust me enough to be able to come to me when things went wrong instead of suffering in silence until it was too late for me to fix anything. Because you're entirely right, I want to play the hero. And that includes doing everything I can to help. And I can't do that if I don't know that there's even something wrong, or even how to fix it. I'm sorry I didn't know, I'm sorry I don't know how to fix it and I'm sorry that I'm not the hero to you I hoped I could be. I should've understood that you weren't used to this like I was. That this wasn't the world you were used to. And I'm sorry."

The look of betrayal is still very distinct on Minato's face, however, even as he looks very much apologetic.
"You're right, I should've checked on you. You're right, I should've done that for you, and for that, I'm very genuinely sorry. I shouldn't have said what I said, then or now, and for that, I'm sorry. I have done wrong by you, and for that, I'm very, truly sorry, and I'm not sure I'll ever really make it up you."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:02:52 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 09, 2021, 06:38:41 am »

This moment had been somewhat inevitable, in a general sense, Shef thought. They had a tendency to go in with a vague plan at most, and, in having worked with Yoake for a while, he knew that sudden derailments were a fact of life that he needed to accept. This did little to annul the sheer frustration of these moments. He was utterly baffled by the fact that the threat of a bomb detonating in a public place seemed to do nothing to instill a more careful and planned approach for his teammates. And apparently they couldn't even be bothered to communicate their change of plans.

But he would adapt. He had to. Smooth things over, keep these missions successful for the AI, and thereby ensure his own safety. And of course the safety of those the missions were for. He wasn't ignoring them, but a strong sense of self interest certainly helped with making the hard calls. So if Noriko had activated her requiem, then she'd likely be in combat soon, and in no position to be Hanzo's evac. Might be able to get the magic detonator disarmed, but there was no guarantee there either. He sent a text to the AI.

Evac vehicle for Hanzo. Speed over subtlety, preferably both.3-4 min maybe.

That should deal with that, it wouldn't be an issue if the vehicle had to loiter a bit while things were. . . cleaned up inside. Next, he'd take actual action, and in a manner that he sincerely hoped, but had no certainty would succeed. A deep breath, a moment of concern—might this blow up in his face?—Then commitment.

Snap a portal open under Hanzo. His position was suitable for this, and the reaction time to detonate would give Shef a window. Three clothing damage bullets, fired from the hip through a portal, deal with the mundane explosives, they'd be shredded. As for the magical explosives? Faith would have to deal with those. Hopefully she realized.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4148 on: March 09, 2021, 07:22:16 am »

Noriko's voice dropped, the hardness of sudden rage overtaken by the rest of the tumultuous emotions she was feeling. Her Requiem let go of Minato, but the air in the building continued to circulate unnaturally, writhing in response to Noriko unconsciously worrying at it. "Damn it, Minato, it's not the gunshot. It was never the gunshot. I was scared and hurt and terrified out of my mind that I wouldn't be coming home to my brother this time. Even Yoake thought to ask if I was okay." She took a shuddering breath. "One of the three people in the entire world who cared about me, and you didn't even acknowledge the possibility I wasn't okay."

The anger began to stir in her words once again. "No, I wasn't okay. Minato, I was never okay. I had a job that I hated, and my best friend showed up damn near every day even though he knew it was humiliating. Sure, you tipped well, but you were still there, and if anything, those tips just made it more likely I'd be trapped there forever. And sure, you were worried you could make my life worse if you said anything about the Awakened world. No, I never said anything either, because every other person in my life had made things worse every single fucking time I did.

I didn't tell you anything, but Minato, you never even bothered to ask."
GM of Trespassers V2.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: March 09, 2021, 07:33:24 am »

"I know I didn't. And I'm sorry. And I can't take that back. I was wrong not to ask. I didn't know you felt so strongly about the maid cafe, and I should have. I've been afraid myself many times that I wouldn't get to see you guys again. I should've figured you would be too.

But I'm here now, and I see how you feel now. It won't make up for me not being there before, but not much can. And I'm not sure if I can make things right, but I'll try."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 09, 2021, 08:26:10 am »

Everyone
Yoake.

That name cuts through the noise like a razor. Yoake. Yoake o-Shiri. You see it in the Hunters' visages, plain as day even through their illusions. Realization.

You brace yourself for the blast; what you get is a gunshot.

A Hunter drops to the floor, dead. The detonator falling from its hands. Its killer its own comrade, with an arcane bolt to the back of the head.

A chill runs down your spine and you realize you cannot breath.

The world begins to spin, shrouded in an adrenaline haze. Your heart thunders against your chest as if trying to tear itself free. Your instincts scream at you to flee. To run. To hide. To save yourself. But your body, your body refuses to move.

Then only then it dawns on you, that you are about to die. You and everyone else in this building. Your friends. The Hunters. Hanzo too. No one will be leaving this place alive.

Now, some of you might be familiar with a little trope that shows up in anime. The idea of "killing intent", the idea of sensing the ambient hostility of another. Well, rest assured it does not even begin to compare against the real deal.

What you are feeling is not a helpful sense of danger.

What you are feeling is not a general unease.

No, what you feel is pressure. Crushing overwhelming pressure. An invisible vice around your heart, around your throat, around your head. You feel, physically feel the malice radiating around you. And you are drowning in it.

You do not know who was the first to scream. But someone begins to scream, a scream that reverberates through the air, through the crowd, through your head. Like dominos the panic begins to spread. Soon there is another screaming. And another. And yet it is all the same scream. That scream of base primeval terror. The scream of someone who knows what it means to be prey. The scream of the primordial fear man had forgotten.

The Hunters fare no better, you watch as they fall upon each with bestial savagery, rending each other apart with blade and bayonet. You watch as one the more elaborate looking ones, a commander of some sort take charge, start to rally their forces. You watch as they are struck from behind, you watch as they fall, and as they are butchered then and there by their own forces.

All of you are going to die.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: March 09, 2021, 11:00:24 am »

Most people would flee in terror from the kind of pressure being exerted, with no regard for others. Most people would freeze in the face of primordial horror. Most people would cower in the face of an unknowable, interminable threat.

Most people were not Minato Kumon.

Fear washed over Minato's psyche, washing over his troubled mind. For the barest moment, fear overtook him, overshadowing his currently conflicted emotions towards Noriko.

Steel filled his mind, as he envisioned a shield against the fear taking hold.

An ironclad vow to protect others from those who would oppress them. A promise to defend the weak. An ideal worth living up to, no matter how imperfect the reality.

It was the very core of Minato's being, a shield for his mind, the value he held dearest.

He recovers from the initial shock and steadies himself. Now wasn't the time for a heart-to-heart. Now was the time for fighting. Minato looks around. The pressure remained, the malice overwhelming, but it was nothing Minato couldn't deal with. He surveys his options. Hanzo was still alive, at least for the moment. The detonator was on the floor. Noriko was nearby, and if Minato was feeling the killing intent, she was definitely feeling it. Whoever was emitting that level of killing intent was giving off so much, Minato couldn't figure out where they were, so they were not a priority, not without Minato getting an angle to come in at him or to open him up so the others could come. Everyone else was too far away to reach, not without transforming.

The priorities in order; Noriko, Hanzo's detonator, everyone else. He was hoping Shef had Yuki and Faith covered.

But first, Noriko. He grabs her shoulder to get her attention.
"Hey, Noriko. I'm here. Eyes up. We're fine for now. You have your Requiem, right?"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: March 09, 2021, 05:55:01 pm »

Yuki had been all set to make use of the distraction, staying 'in character' and ignoring the argument of Minato and Noriko as beneath her notice. For a spoiled brat like her all that mattered was finding someone fun to chat up while her aide made sure nobody unimportant insulted her by trying to speak. But then the situation abruptly, violently changed. She snapped back to herself, and found herself frozen.

It had been a while since she felt afraid. Ever since she'd become an Awakened, she couldn't really say she had. Healing magic as powerful as hers took the bite of fear out of any injury that didn't result in instant death. Even before then, she'd locked off fear as a pointless emotion that wouldn't help her make it through the work day, that wouldn't keep her from snapping or let her put one foot in front of the other. Another thing to lock up in a box and throw away the key.

But that feeling took a crowbar to that little box she'd put her fear in and wrenched it open through a different way. She still wasn't afraid for herself. She didn't care if it got her, frankly. She was afraid if it got someone she cared about. One of the few people who really gave a crap about her. It was all-consuming, petrifying fear not that she would die, but that her friends would - that Faith would.

Then she was calm. It wouldn't happen. Not while she was there. Not a conviction that she would protect her sister, so much as a simple knowledge of a fact like the sky is blue and water is wet.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4153 on: March 09, 2021, 07:12:47 pm »

Noriko

The sheer terror was overpowering. It blew away all the pent-up resentment and hurt she'd been pouring out, all the complex feelings she had been wrestling with, replacing them with that unspeakable fear. She jerked away when Minato put his hand on her shoulder, staring at him wide-eyed.

I'm going to die I can't even see what's going to kill me where is Kouta need to get out of here need to fight this RUN AWAY push down the fear find Kouta stop the bomb need to protect Kouta ESCAPE Kouta will die Kouta FIGHT for Kouta

Noriko nodded her head, eyes still pinned open, slow as if her neck had rusted in place - but she nodded.

Kouta

Time seemed to slow as the van pulled away. He was scared, he had no experience dealing with anything like this. Yet, rather than it creeping between his bones and freezing them in place, he found himself beginning to run. Fumbling at his phone, trying desperately to contact Nori- no, the AIs, she would be too far - but willing his legs to carry him after the van far enough to help track the culprits down, at the very least. There was no way he could catch the van, nothing he could do even if he did, but he was damn well going to try anyway.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 10, 2021, 04:00:10 am »

Kouta
You run. You run as fast as your legs can take you. As fast as your footing allows. A new resolve coursing through your veins.

Admirable. Futile, but admirable.

You may not tire, but that matters little when the van is simply faster. Worse, the slick ground slows you, limits your speed. You find yourself struggling to maintain your speed and keep your traction, let alone unlock your phone.

The van's already turned out of the car pack and you have even finished dialing. Forget stopping it, you're not even going to be able to tail it at this rate.

You need to do something, something crazy.

You spy a man exiting his car. A delivery driver you think, you saw a pizza joint nearby. It's got one of those keyless ignitions and he hasn't yet locked it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:41:45 am by Empiricist »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 285