Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xorvintaal (Interest Check)  (Read 2090 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Xorvintaal (Interest Check)
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:12:01 am »

A terrible visage of green dragon fire appears before you. The flames form into the image of the ancient dragon Roboson. It speaks thus: Young dragon! Your strength and cunning have not gone unnoticed. Your time has come to prove yourself against the only worthy opponents this world has to offer... OUR OWN KIND! Bahahahaha! If you are unafraid of this challenge, complete the ritual and join your brethren in Xorvintaal!

Q: Ok, so what is Xorvintaal?
A: Xorvintaal is a giant game that dragons play in order to determine status and prestige among themselves. its an immense game of strategy with mortals as the pieces. Manipulating heros and civilizations to achieve goals, you earn points. The dragon with the most points is the most revered and respected dragon in all the land.

Q: Who are the players?
A: Dragons! In ages past dragons simply fought to the death to prove superiority, but as the ages past dragons were killing each other faster than they were reproducing. It seemed dragons would drive themselves to extinction. However, Xorvintaal was invented as a way to prevent direct conflict between dragons and to determine the draconian heirarchy.

Q: Who are the pieces?
A: Literally everything else. Heros, governments, mages, monsters, gods, demons, and everything else in the world is a fair weapon on the battlefield. Anything you can manipulate into doing your bidding is allowed. Side note: some powerful beings, like demons, sphinxes, and lesser gods, may acquire enough points to land themselves on the hierarchy (even if they don't know the rules of the game). Having a lower score than a nondragon is a terrible embarrassment. Furthermore, players may elevate certain pieces and give them additional powers. These heros are of great importance to the game.

Q: What are the rules:
A: The rules are incredibly complex, arbitrary, and take almost a decade to read. Most dragons don't know all the rules, in fact it's unlikely any of them know every single one. The game is mostly moderated by an older dragon who doesn't play anymore. That dragon settles disputes, keeps score, and moderates the game as closely to the spirit of the rules as one can.

Q: So if the rules are not really there, how do I get points?
A: Players will be given points for taking a variety of actions and achieving both longstanding and temporary goals. (I'll write out the main ones later if there's enough interest). Successfully defending your hoards, successfully attacking enemy hoards, and defeating great beasts, starting wars, all of these can get you points. Points will be awarded by the moderator, who can also award bonus points for particularly cunning or ingenious strategies. Really his job is to just give you points.

Q: Alright, I'm interested, what now?
A: Post bellow. If there seems to be enough interest I'll write up some real rules. Also please post the kind (species) of dragon you'd like to be and what biome you'd like your starting lair to be in.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:18:07 am by Roboson »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Xorvintaal (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:28:26 am »

bellow
Black lives matter.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:48:10 am »

Post, dibs on orchid.

Orchid dragons can master any element, but fire is their primary. They are social and make loyal allies.
They are cocky and may underestimate adversaries, especially if they seem big dumb and stupid.
Orchid dragons are rare, they are born into more peaceful dragon colonies where they stay, when not visiting their non dragon friends or assisting them or adventuring with them.
Members of this peaceful dragon colony are paired with a magical dragonfly at birth. They provide a kind of magic force field that, while it can be disabled protect them from attacks. For several volleys. After disabled the drained dragonfly must feast on insects for a time.

Species: Orchid
Lair: Peaceful Dragon Colony(mixed species)
Pleasant valley, with castle ruins. Portals to allied races in enchanted archways strewn about. (Too small for grown dragons to pass through though)
My dragon is an adult, full grown. Looks like this:

His name? You may have heard of it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:50:59 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:39:03 am »

bellow, just a plain' old regular dragon, plains/mountain

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:52:32 am »

Posting to show interest, I'd like to be a long serpentine Chinese dragon-esque figure, living in the mountains.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:31:22 am »

I would like to be an ice dragon in a taiga
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37:41 am »

This seems cool.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »

I would want to be a a intimating looking black dragon with ram horns in a swamp

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 01:19:32 pm »

Dibs on red speech, I'd be a fire dragon that starts in a mountain lair perfect for an evil villian of a dragon.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »

PTW.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »

The young dragons bellow to demonstrate their readiness to join their own in their birthright. The viasage reappears. Its time to raise above the mortals, the monsters, and the gods of this world. You are dragons, lords of this world.

Dragon Rules:
-Each turn a dragon may take up to three direct actions. Using any draconian ability, unless otherwise stated, counts as a direct action.
-Dragons of Xorvintaal may never directly combat each other. There are exception to this rule, mostly involving total war and unavoidable conflict. They're rarely used. A petition to the moderator is much more common.
-A dragon may take any reasonable number of passive actions.

Exarch Rules:
-Exarchs are heros who have sworn loyalty to their dragon patron. Any being may be a dragon exarch except another true dragon or another being placed upon the heirarchy.
-Each dragon may have several exarchs. There is no limit on the number of exarchs a dragon can have, but it is considered bad form to have more than two or three.
-Exarchs cost no points to appoint, but do require after appointing to complete a ritual.
-Losing an exarch costs points based upon how they died. It is costly to lose an exarch, sometimes costing over one hundred points. If a player manages to defeat an enemy exarch, some or all of the points lost by the exarchs owner may be transferred to its killer.

Hoard rules:
-Hoards are collections of wealth that earn players points as long as they hold them.
- Hoards may vary from dragon to dragon. Metallic dragons typically hoard wealth, while blue dragons tend to hoard knowledge. Artifacts of significant power may constitute as hoards themselves.
- Personal hoards are hoards in which your dragon has personally visited, invested great effort in building or collecting, or have invested greatly in its defense. They are worth 10 points a season.
- Minor hoards are much smaller hoards that are less important than personal hoards. They're worth 4 points per season.
-Taking a personal hoard of another player allows you to steal 100 points from their score. Taking a minor hoard gives you 20 points.
- Bluff hoards are hoards designed as decoys to lure enemies into pillaging them. They are often full of traps and dangerous enemies.
- Placing a hoard, either personal or minor, within another's territory earns you double points at the expense of the other player. If the other player cannot find your hoard within a year, you will steal an additional 25 points for a minor hoard and 100 points for a personal hoard.
- Cunning dragons will uses bluffs to distract enemies and steal points from their flustered enemies.

Minion/trap Rules:
- Any lesser beings of great number and little power are considered minions.
- Minions cannot be directly controlled by the player. They can be set to defend or attack by the masses, but beyond that.
- Traps can also be designed to kill and delay enemies.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 04:33:44 pm »

Also, calling dibs on green speech.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 04:59:42 pm »

Dibs on teal!
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »

Calling dibs on Purple!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »

It is time young dragons for the ritual. To perform it, simply fill out the form below state the magic incantation!

Character Sheet:
Dragon name:
Dragon voice color:
Dragon description:
Lair location: (must be mundane and not have any special attributes. For example, you could pick a forest, but you couldn't pick a magical forest that heals dragons or puts mortals to sleep).
Dragon element:
Choose two of the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In addition you will gain the following abilities:

Dragon Eyes: A xorvintaal dragon can keep tabs on its lair and territory with an array of floating magic eyes that patrol and report back to the dragon. This effect functions like the prying eyes spell, except that a xorvintaal dragon receives two floating eyes. The dragon eyes last indefinitely; when one is destroyed, another one forms next to the dragon at the start of its next season. Whenever an eye returns to the dragon, the dragon can give the eye new instructions.

Dragon breath: Your dragon will gain a breath attack related to its element.

Scrying (Sp): Three times season, a xorvintaal dragon can use scrying with one of its exarchs as the target.

By performing the ritual you gain 100 points.

Also heres a bit about special exarch abilities:
Exarch tokens can be spent on the following abilities by exarchs:(Each one costs a single token unless otherwise stated).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2