Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cannabis  (Read 2229 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cannabis
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:55 pm »

8 weeks though is a little cray cray.

You just need a decently temperature/humidity controlled space and paper bags. Yes, the traditional way is to hang dry it and harvest all the additional proceeds but it's not required. Most people aren't going to put in the time for artisan weed, they just want it to not taste like complete shit and get them high. And that's not terribly hard to accomplish.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 06:45:48 pm »

I would rather describe it in your earlier words. "Cured to perfection".  ;D
The few years I was lucky enough to live in a place that allowed for weed in the garden (my current social renting company doesn't allow it, even though city policy endorses 5 plants outside in the garden), I harvested halfway / late october (depending on the quality of late summer), and smoked it around christmas. It was perfect. The few buds I sample tasted earier just weren't ready yet. You can taste it most definitly if it still has moisture.

* martinuzz has fond memories of that one awesome summer when he had 3 plants that grew to be 2.5m tall, and yielded 1.5kg dry weight of exceptional quality outdoor weed. Free smokes for nearly a whole year.
EDIT: protip: airtight sealing coffee cans are very good for long time storage of weed. You could vacuum seal it, but the compression does not benefit the quality.

It does depend on how big your buds are though. Small buds can do with less time. But wrist-thick compact buds, like most thouroughbred Dutch weed varieties can develop given enough space and light intensity, really need those 8 weeks, or the inside of your buds will still have moisture in it.

You can check if your bud is dry enough by trying to snap it's main branch. It should dry snap. If it bends or tears before breaking, it's not yet sufficiently dried.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:56:29 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »

Ok, fair enough, that was hyperbole on my part. You don't exactly get High Times level of weed growing in the midwest out in the open :P

But wrist-thick compact buds, like most thouroughbred Dutch weed varieties can develop given enough space and light intensity, really need those 8 weeks, or the inside of your buds will still have moisture in it.

Also very fair. Most people don't get them that thick though. You generally have to fertilize and have optimal growing conditions to get that kind out output. Generally people who don't know what they're doing and are growing outside get their plants cross-polinated by ditchweed, which just ruins your plant. But they don't know enough to recognize that. Smaller buds take far less time to cure. I've experimented with everything from time to materials to *shudder* the oven. Generally I've found a dry, arid room and a paper bag sucks the moisture out of them very quickly without giving mold time or opportunity to set in. It really varies though. I've seen lots of environments that looked and felt ideal and a day later you've got mold/mites spoiling half of it. Always a shame to see that happen.

You can taste it most definitly if it still has moisture.

You can check if your bud is dry enough by trying to snap it's main branch. It should dry snap. If it bends or tears before breaking, it's not yet sufficiently dried.

That's usually pretty reliable, yes. I also do the lip test. I rest the bud against my upper lip and if there's any appreciable moisture there I can detect it. Not sure why it works, maybe the skin there has more sweat glands or is more sensitive to moisture. But I can usually detect moisture using that method where it feels completely dry to my fingers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 07:15:15 pm »

We over here in the Netherlands are blessed with the abscence of ditch weed. Dutch farmers never saw much profit in industrial hemp (too many years just don't have a long enough dry summer for it to be a reliable crop). The only risk outdoor plants have over here is getting pollinated because someone forgot to weed out the males. Which is rare, since everyone knows you need to weed out the males. Winters usually get cold enough to kill any seeds that made it out into the wild, so wild growth is not an issue.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 07:19:50 pm »

I think part of the legalization issue for the government, setting aside any moral or health arguments, is that they can't regulate it.

The US Federal and State Governments have loads of laws that they straight up just don't enforce regularly. No reason to break that trend.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 07:26:11 pm »

PTW to show interest.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »

Pretty much.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 07:41:46 pm »

dude weed lmao (ptw)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:24 pm »

Here in California we just recently legalized marijuana. We haven't burnt down or collapsed into the Pacific yet :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 08:04:51 pm »

You just need a decently temperature/humidity controlled space and paper bags. Yes, the traditional way is to hang dry it and harvest all the additional proceeds but it's not required. Most people aren't going to put in the time for artisan weed, they just want it to not taste like complete shit and get them high. And that's not terribly hard to accomplish.

I think what's missing here is the sheer economies of scale and research effort that e.g. tobacco companies would put in to making the perfect joints that you can buy in a six-pack. Sure, you could with some effort make that yourself, but how many people are going to DIY it vs just going to the store? People go and buy things that they should be able to make at home all the time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 08:50:46 pm »

Keeping Cannabis illegal has the same effect as donating a couple of billion dollars to criminal organizations each year.
While true, it cannot be used as a sole argument for legalization.

Keeping homicide illegal has the same effect as donating many millions to hitman assassins each year.

I don't see what the reason is to ban it in the first place.

To keep hemp from succeeding in the textiles industry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:14 pm »

Pretty much.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:02 pm »

That was part of it. The DEA had formed in the 1920s prohibition days, and become corrupt through connections to organized crime. And then in 1933 alcohol was legalized. They needed a new drug to go after or everyone was out of a job, and they needed it soon, before Congress decided to close them down. Additionally, pot was, back then, seen as a drug of choice for blacks and latinos, so there was a racist element to it as well. Also, banning pot, cocaine etc, mean that the organized crime gangs who'd just lost their alcohol monopoly had new lines of business to go into.

Then from the business side, you had the DuPont family, they made a ton of money from making synthetics to replace all the industrial uses of hemp. That group funded a lot of the anti-cannabis literature and films. And from the politics side, southern politicians from cotton-growing states were also keen to ban the stuff as it would create new markets for cotton.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 09:52:13 pm »

Huh.  PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:16 pm »

Full Legalization at the federal level? Could be anywhere from 10 years to never. Probably won't happen under Trump--but realistically, unless something changes over the course of his presidency, a democratic candidate is basically ensured to be the next president. It could happen then, in 50 years, or not for a long time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3