Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal People Joining Civs  (Read 717 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal People Joining Civs
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:14 pm »

Are the rules that govern when wild animal people join up with an above-ground civ well-understood?

I ask because I'm bughunting in the Zelda mod, and Wolfos always seem to join a civ while none of the other LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES/LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE species seem to.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal People Joining Civs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:23:53 pm »

Pretty much all I know is that animal people will join nearby civs.

Have you seen any other wild animal people nearby? It could be that the Wolfos are the only species inhabiting the biome those civilizations are in.
Either that, or the other wild species are extremely rare. I've had problems with certain creatures being called "is the only one of his/her kind", since they barely spawn at all.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:25:57 pm by Z49000 »
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:23 pm »

I haven't seen any wild animal men.  Based on the Biome and Frequency tokens, Lizalfos should be way more common than Wolfos, and in more biomes, but Wolfos seem to join civs and Lizalfos don't.... Possibly I should try assigning them the same biome tokens and see what happens....

....Does being part of a hard-coded subterranean animal man civ disable wild animal men of that species?  Because that could be part of the problem.
Mods I've done:

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:21:42 am »

Subterranean animal men species do not have wild populations, and as such will not join civs in the usual way.

Beyond this, the only requirements seem to be the particular tags and sharing a biome with the civ you want them to join.  TOLERANT values of the civ may also come into play, although I'm not sure.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:45:54 am »

So hang on, what tokens would you need to give the subterranean races for them to join fortresses and act as bards and mercenaries and so forth? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:08:00 am »

So hang on, what tokens would you need to give the subterranean races for them to join fortresses and act as bards and mercenaries and so forth?

I don't know that you can.
Do you want to link to the DFFD upload for this, or make one? It would help to see the raws.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:51:57 am »

Do you want to link to the DFFD upload for this, or make one? It would help to see the raws.

I haven't done a DFFD release yet, I'm in pre-release bughunting mode.

It was a combination of the Biome thing for stuff like white wolfos that only have narrow biome ranges; and the fact that adding a creature to an underground civ zaps their wild population.

I made a new creature that copies all the tags from the underground civ one, and added the hero etc. tags to it, like so:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:KO_Z_LIZALFOS_WILD]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:KO_Z_LIZALFOS]
[OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE]
[LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
[LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES]
Mods I've done: