Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest Check: AR Roleplay, "Wire Warriors", an RPG where you make a charecter.  (Read 854 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile

The idea rumbling around in my head is to attempt a roleplay based on a system I have been using for my own entertainment since my childhood, which is using Bread Ties (Twist Ties, Wires, Ect.) in tandem with detritus, objects and trinkets to create figurines, while also developing a system of rules and lore surrounding them.

There is a lot of ground to cover, as the Crunch and Fluff are quite extensive, and I don't really have any of it written down.

Any questions asked would help me develop the idea if I choose to pursue it.

The main gimmick here is that you utilize bread ties to create your charecter(s) alongside objects for their equipment and components, then convey them either through something like MS Paint Drawings, Pictures taken, or just Text Descriptions.

There is, like I said, a lot of things already established, too much to cover, so ask questions about what every day objects you have on you might correspond to in this system, what color and type of twist ties and wires correspond to what things in setting, and the lore in general.

This game may not actually happen for some time, as the main limitations to running it are a lack of a Camera on my part that can adequately capture the detail of my figurines.

I can also give some Wide Sweeping topics if nobody has any ideas of what to ask.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

PTW
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

PTW

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Reminds me of an idea I briefly had. It was pretty much using miscellaneous small trinkets, from pencils to rubidium cubes, to summon small monsters to fight with based on what they represented. A pencil could become a spear, a match and block of wood into a small fire elemental, etc.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile

Wire Warriors is a much smaller scale, to contrast, A pencil is mostly worthless, where a Toothpick is considered a Spear, and breaking off a tip makes it the common longsword, and lastly, breaking it in half makes for two shortswords.  For the commonly sized 1 Twist Tie Wire Warrior.

I could set it up so that the construction itself only exists in Text, while the materials used are inspired by things the players themselves find and own.

Possibly with something where I provide rough statistics for things you bring to my attention, but assembling them is done via a charecter sheet and whatever you choose to describe them with.

Thoughts there?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

Made me think of the wire frame figures from Smash Bros.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A transcript from a long discord conversation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Part Two!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

...I hardly know what to say. At first, I thought the idea and mechanics would work really well with some reflavoring. However, I kept reading, and with all the flavor you've added to this premise, I don't think you'd consider it. I'm sure this could all be made into something special, but I'm not sure it could be played well over the internet.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile

I can consider a lot of things. I won't know unless I'm told, after all.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile

Interested. What differences are there between the colors of the Breadties? How is HP determined? What would pencils/pens be used for?
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile

Red: Fire, Offencive Power, Immunity to Heat, Core effect, you can activate effects at any time, even when it is not your turn, such as beads, or Wire Effects. Wire effect is charging energy.

Yellow: Technology, Speed, Vehicle focus, Higher Carry and Equip Cap, Core effect, you can move, facing the direction you are moving while otherwise still, even when it is not your turn.  Speed Boost for wire effect, and charging object energy.

Blue: Aura, Water (not immune to water, explained later), Martial Prowess, Core Effect, You can rotate around your center of mass, even when it is not your turn, this can lead to slight movement from changing orientation.

White: Holy, Neutral, Used for Wire Tools, This twist tie has no special core effect, but it also has better stats across the board, No Core Effect, but they can also tap into other twist tie effects above their ranking, such as acessing stronger red abilities from less red wire and experiance.  This twist tie is also used in making tools and machinery, though it has fallen out of practice.

Green: Leaf, Ninja, This twist tie has no special core effect, but has the statistics of both Blue and Yellow, in addition, this twist tie has the greatest flight abilities without aid at low rankings, while others, such as Red, Yellow and Blue, have to use Beads which have an active propulsion, or Vehicles/Aura/Innate powers.

Black Wires: Darkness, Shadows, Underground, Core effect is Shadowseep, it is twofold, firstly, they can teleport between shadows, second, Black Wires (But nothing else on their person aside from specific stuff) can pass through objects at will, even if it is not their turn, though this is not a constant effect, and has a very low time that it can be active, but the black wire will not revert to normal until it is out, enabling travel through objects and dodging powerful attacks via one method or another.  They are another common flier.

Clear: Rare and Odd Wires, they are mostly unknown, though they can turn invisible, and rarely use tools.

Brown: An extinct type of twist tie, it used to compose one of the primary deities in setting.

Red/White: A special type of wire discovered very recently, it is used to make technologies from twist ties, along with other robotic wire warriors.  It's Core Ability is the power to activate it's wire effect at any time, even when it is not it's turn.  It's Wire Effect is primarly the ability to make movement along the chevron pattern along it's twist tie, allowing it to emulate conveyor belts, wheels, and treads without actual movement.

Silver/Gold/Crimson: Rare All-powerful wire types, almost no wire warriors have them as a core, and as such, their core effects are unknown.  However, they specialize in Multiplication, A single Silver Wire multiplies all stats by 500%, and drastically increases their abilities, Gold increases all statistics by 1000%, and Crimson increases all stats by 1000%, but increases insanity and bloodlust to a degree.  God-wires are easily distinguished by their reflective coating and luster.

Fuzzy: Mostly unusable to normal Wire Warriors, this wire type primarly composes a specific and isolated community of animal-like-cousins of Wire Warriors.

Orange: The close companion of Red, This type is associated with Heat and the Desert, they have a split between Attack and Speed, and their special ability is to co-exist with red wire while allowing the wire warrior in question to remain a pure breed and continue receiving the bonuses inherent.

HP is determined by the age, size, and ratio of twist ties in the wire warrior, and there are also beads and objects which can increase, restore, and protect one's health.

Pencils and Pens would be the stuff of structure, siege, and in the case of pens, they are often dissembled into their nib, and their other parts, as a Pen Nib can be used both as a vial of Real Toxin with it's staining abilities, or as a bullet to high caliber Wire Weapons.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile

What does cloth do? Where does the spark of life come from for the wire creatures? What do different core materials do (I.e. Steel, Copper, Gold, or other various metals)? What kind of world is it?
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile

Cloth is one of the extremely high tier flexible armors, easily surpassing paper, thin plastics, and even foil.

The Spark of Life comes from a giant pot which is the nexux of Earth's Remaining life.

Most if not all twist ties are made from thin iron or steel, and it has little effect aside from Real Durability, the coating of the twist tie determines it's primary effects.

The world has no traditional life, no animals, humans, trees, or anything approaching those. Instead, Life takes the form of objects which manifest as flora and fauna, toy factories work without workers, toothpicks grow from the ground, green tape bound to them in a facsimile of leaves, forests of bamboo skewers jut from the land in defiance of manufacturing.  Anything that is living does not exist, replaced with imitations made from common materials of the modern world.