Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: REVOLVER: BLOOD AND NEON: SMOKE BREAK  (Read 43065 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: REVOLVER: BLOOD AND NEON: [SYNTH MUSIC INTENSIFIES TO FATAL LEVELS]
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2017, 01:20:38 am »

Almost got it.  One more crack at it.

Spoiler:  Big Ears, White (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:32 am »

A ranged attack while I was right next to it? How does that work?
Can you shoot someone who is standing right next to you? Well, so can he.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2017, 01:39:41 am »

((There should really be SOME benefit to using melee against a ranged enemy, though.  At the very least you should be able to roll dodge, because avoiding a rifle that's within arm's reach isn't too dissimilar from avoiding a spear at that range.  Beyond that, melee items do less damage than ranged, are obviously much shorter ranged, are always dodgeable, and can't overwatch as well.  Their only advantages are a lack of ammo consumption (which is insignificant if only one team member is melee), and being mitigated by dodge rather than cover (which doesn't matter unless enemies follow a logic of skill distribution similar to players).

Really, not only should ranged attacks in melee be dodgable, they should either take penalties or provoke something like an attack of opportunity.  Retreating from a melee enemy should also be penalized, either requiring a full turn or provoking a free attack.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:55 am »

((Guns are better at melee range than melee weapons are, because if you're at point-blank it's impossible for your target to be in cover from you.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2017, 04:16:57 pm »

((There should really be SOME benefit to using melee against a ranged enemy, though.  At the very least you should be able to roll dodge, because avoiding a rifle that's within arm's reach isn't too dissimilar from avoiding a spear at that range.  Beyond that, melee items do less damage than ranged, are obviously much shorter ranged, are always dodgeable, and can't overwatch as well.  Their only advantages are a lack of ammo consumption (which is insignificant if only one team member is melee), and being mitigated by dodge rather than cover (which doesn't matter unless enemies follow a logic of skill distribution similar to players).

Really, not only should ranged attacks in melee be dodgable, they should either take penalties or provoke something like an attack of opportunity.  Retreating from a melee enemy should also be penalized, either requiring a full turn or provoking a free attack.))
We can make such things possible, but only if they apply universally, both to players and enemies. I just figured that people would prefer that being directly next to someone with a shotgun would not actually give you LESS of a chance to hit than if you were farther back.

Realistic though that might be.

We're not going into Combat mode yet because the Syth elemental hasn't seen anyone but Egan, who just got corpsed. But you guys are still actively in danger so He doesn't respawn yet. Figure out someway to deal with this.

Welp.  Cover-Move to the doorway just to my north (not the one the speakerskull can see), and overwatch.

Move to the highlighted square. Overwatch.
((Assuming I'm still alive next turn, would Run & Gun allow me to go through the door, shoot the sythfungus and run back out? Also, if I use Aim and Overwatch, overwatch fire get the aim bonus?))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Uh, yeah I suppose? But why would you want to when you could just shoot from back in the doorway? Yeah, it would, but why use overwatch instead of just aiming and then shooting?))

Almost got it.  One more crack at it.

[11/10] Strength
You bash the door the rest of the way down, though only barely. The room beyond is a perfectly square bathroom. Its very...white. There's white tile on the floor, walls, and ceiling; even the lights are square and fit perfectly in the spaces between the tiles so that they might be mistaken for oddly luminous tiles. There is a bathtub/ shower combo in the back and a toilet off to the left. No sink though, oddly. Against the very back wall is an open door leading into a linen closet.

Empi, from your position at the doorway there you can see the Synth elemental sort of staring quizically at the blood smear that used to be Egan and has not moved.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »

Run the shower.  The noise should help interfere with the synth elemental.  Or attract it.  Search the toilet tank as well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2017, 05:15:58 pm »

We can make such things possible, but only if they apply universally, both to players and enemies. I just figured that people would prefer that being directly next to someone with a shotgun would not actually give you LESS of a chance to hit than if you were farther back.

Well, I bloody well would appreciate if you made my chosen build not-totally-useless. Why did you even include melee weapons if guns do everything they do, but better?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:47 pm »

Well, I bloody well would appreciate if you made my chosen build not-totally-useless. Why did you even include melee weapons if guns do everything they do, but better?
Fair.

Would everyone be ok with me just saying you CAN'T shoot if they're directly next to you? So that charging into someone's face is semi-viable?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:59 pm »

Can't fire a gun at point-blank unless it's something compact like a pistol or sawn-off. If you do use something like that, the target can dodge.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »

Sounds fair to me and gives people a reason to use something like a pistol or sawn off over other things. How about this

Directly adjacent: melee only
One space: small guns and thrown ok, large guns have +3 difficulty to hit. Use of dodge to get out of the way is possible.
Two space: Normal rules.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:19 pm »

Sounds fair to me and gives people a reason to use something like a pistol or sawn off over other things. How about this

One space: small guns and thrown ok, large guns have +3 difficulty to hit. Use of dodge to get out of the way is possible.
  :D
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 07:15:06 pm »

How about same rules but if you are directly adjacent than you get the +3 difficulty with small guns but can still use them. Sorry just on the waitlist waiting for some people to die  8)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »

Run & Gun. Run into the kitchen, while passing the doorway shoot at the synthfungus and insult its mother while I'm at it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2017, 10:38:12 pm »

Just a passing question, how long does a weapon switch take?

What category would melee bashing/pistol whipping fall into?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »

Sorry just on the waitlist waiting for some people to die  8)
Yup. In all sincerity, I'm privately hoping they get slaughtered.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26