Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Culture Shock expansions "Developer and Publisher" explaining and stuff.  (Read 740 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile

About the Culture Shock expansions, I have a plan for people who wanna make one and have it be official and that kind of stuff.

How it'll go down:

1. Dude develops expansion.

2. He messages me and tells me about it.

3. I make a topic about it and have it get sent through.

Basically it's like you're (or someone else is) the developer and I'm the publisher.

How do you feel about it?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Shock expansions "Developer and Publisher" explaining and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:19 am »

You should make ur own game tbh. You seem adept with DF modding, which isnt much diff from java in complexity. I say fom experience, it'll take you a month or two to get good enough to begin work on your game, assuming it aint hyperambitious. And ur fairly creative from what i've seen - learn Game Maker, Rpg Maker, Java, or something else easy-ish, and you might be able to make something really quite rad.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
----------------------------------
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:31:28 am »

You might also try to start with something like Python with the Pygame library, since Python is basically the easiest-to-understand professional computer programming language out there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:40:14 am »

RPG Maker is the best! I definitely suggest using that if you're making your own game.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:59:41 am »

You seem adept with DF modding, which isnt much diff from java in complexity.

Haha, wow, as someone who likely has a lot more experience than you in DF modding, DF modding is nowhere near any programming in complexity, not by a long shot. It's one of the easiest games to mod around.

learn Game Maker, Rpg Maker, Java, or something else easy-ish

Is Java the only programming language you've ever used? It's one of the more complicated ones in my experience, or rather, it forces you to use bonkers design decisions due to its extreme focus on OOP.

You might also try to start with something like Python with the Pygame library, since Python is basically the easiest-to-understand professional computer programming language out there.

These days, I'd agree, but it might be better to go with Unity or Godot or similar. Godot is the game engine I've used with the best 2D support so far. I haven't picked up game maker because it doesn't seem like it supports my person style of development much (I.E. actually code as much as possible).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:01:17 am by Putnam »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:50:25 am »

Being good at modding could certainly give you a better idea of how programs are put together, but like Putnam says, it is not programming. 

There's also Stencyl, which is basically Game Maker for Flash.  If you don't need any design GUI, FlashDevelop is also a great tool for making Flash games. 

Blender also has a game engine, python based, though Blender + Unity makes more sense.  Dealing with a 3rd dimension is not as hard as people think. 

I'm pretty sure there are also lots of basically open source rogue-like engines out there. 

As for,

About the Culture Shock expansions, I have a plan for people who wanna make one and have it be official and that kind of stuff.

How it'll go down:

1. Dude develops expansion.

2. He messages me and tells me about it.

3. I make a topic about it and have it get sent through.

Basically it's like you're (or someone else is) the developer and I'm the publisher.

How do you feel about it?

I feel like, why wouldn't I just make my own mod and post it here myself?  It's not like we need approval to get threads opened, and anybody can get access to a file hosting service, so you're not really offering anything.  If someone wants to contribute, just add their credits to the raws and upload it with the main pack. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:37 am »

Hmm...

Maybe this was a bad idea...