Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 79571 times)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #795 on: March 02, 2022, 03:29:02 pm »

DS2 is baby difficulty, Sekiro is for real masochists and Elden Ring is for people who hate playing functional games.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 02, 2022, 03:58:55 pm »

Sounds like someone knew well enough to put points into ADP!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 04, 2022, 11:32:53 am »

I'm against excessive life extension technology.
The old gain power and lose openness to new ideas.
Eventually, life extension will turn the world into a sociological swamp. Putin proves that well enough.
We can't prolong human life forever, or we'll create The Imperium of Man from 40k lore.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 04, 2022, 03:05:35 pm »

Eventually, life extension will turn the world into a sociological swamp. Putin proves that well enough.

These two sentences don’t seem to have any connection to one another.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 04, 2022, 05:15:59 pm »

These two sentences don’t seem to have any connection to one another.
You forgot the most important sentence:
The old gain power and lose openness to new ideas.

The longer people live, the more Putins exist.  Old people with old ideas and tons of power.  I'm picking on the guy that is universally reviled: There are other, more controversial comparisons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The point, of course, is that it will only get worse, not better.  Imagine all those folks 25 years older in mindset but not in ability.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 04, 2022, 05:21:11 pm »

You either die a Trotsky or live long enough to become a putin.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 04, 2022, 06:41:18 pm »

I mean… democracy is an old idea.

Old people in and of themselves aren’t the problem then, as you point out: lack of open-mindedness is. That can be taught, it just won’t be because it requires critical thinking, but critical thinking is a danger to people in power, who aren’t going to be adding it to the curriculum anytime soon.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 04, 2022, 08:50:27 pm »

Is like saying young people can't be responsible. Saying old people arent open to new ideas is a blank statement. There could be statistical sway one way or another but is not something written in stone.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 04, 2022, 09:00:44 pm »

I mean, one of the largest contributors to that is literal neural degeneration and whatnot, the brain explicitly becoming less capable of functioning, due to age. Any reasonable life extension process is going to deal with that along with everything else involved. Aging in general under conditions where debilitating aging effects can be prevented or fixed is going to be... basically nothing like it is now.

You can't predict the effects of a hypothetical future without aging based on the current state of things regarding aging, 'cause, y'know. The current state won't be there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 05, 2022, 05:44:40 am »

Old people in and of themselves aren’t the problem then, as you point out: lack of open-mindedness is. That can be taught, it just won’t be because it requires critical thinking, but critical thinking is a danger to people in power, who aren’t going to be adding it to the curriculum anytime soon.

Don't be bashing on democracy.  Autocracy and communism are MORE effected by the old gaining power rule.  Although Communism will purge its old once a generation, it's hardly enough.

Democracy is a horribly broken system, but its the best form of government because the Ruling Elite can be overthrown peacefully.  All other forms of government required overthrowing the Ruling Elite violently.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 05, 2022, 09:01:43 am »

I’m not bashing on democracy, I’m exploring your points :p

The people who tend to be elected in democracies are old people, particularly for leadership positions, and there are usually only a handful of parties to choose from, that usually have well-established positions, so “overthrowing” a democratic government just means replacing one set of old people with old ideas with a slightly different set of old people with slightly different old ideas.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 05, 2022, 09:43:13 am »

The people who tend to be elected in democracies are old people, particularly for leadership positions, and there are usually only a handful of parties to choose from, that usually have well-established positions, so “overthrowing” a democratic government just means replacing one set of old people with old ideas with a slightly different set of old people with slightly different old ideas.

Yeah, it quickly becomes an oligarchy if parties are allowed, and if only 2 of them are viable, you end up with a duopoly, and all of the issues that brings.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 05, 2022, 10:13:42 am »

I think the ideas get younger each time, though. I suppose that’s really the basis of all political fighting, the age of the ideas in question. Or it’s a nice-sounding simplification, at the least, haha.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 05, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »

Don't be bashing on democracy.  Autocracy and communism are MORE effected by the old gaining power rule.  Although Communism will purge its old once a generation, it's hardly enough.

Democracy is a horribly broken system, but its the best form of government because the Ruling Elite can be overthrown peacefully.  All other forms of government required overthrowing the Ruling Elite violently.

How does representative democracy uniquely allow that? After all, if the democratically elected ruling elite really wanted to, they could use the power they were democratically granted to, fully legally, replace the constitution and be rulers for life.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 05, 2022, 04:37:49 pm »

How does representative democracy uniquely allow that? After all, if the democratically elected ruling elite really wanted to, they could use the power they were democratically granted to, fully legally, replace the constitution and be rulers for life.
Not nescessarily. Over here, a change to the Constitution needs to be approved by two consecutive parliaments and two consecutive senates.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57